Daf xf

Ok Quick question thanks to the pikies, is a daf xf on an 04 plate self bleeding, didnt even leave enough to reach a garage :frowning:

If not, check around the fuel filter for a pump, might be like a black button on top or it might be like an inline pump like the old blood pressure jobbies.

Before trying to start, if you can’t see any of those pumps, I’d use the ignition a few times, ie on, leave 20 secs, off, on, leave, off - repeat about 5 - 10 times, it’ll give the pump a chance to prime the fuel system.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. :laughing:

no it isn’t

tilt the cab, on the passenger side of the engine, look directly below the fuel filter, there is the main lift pump, it has a knurled knob on the top of it, unscrew it (anti clockwise) and pump the fuel through

you will need to have a 17mm open ended spanner to crack the injector pipes at the injector end, not the pump end, do them one at a time, starting from 1 (front) through to 6 (rear), keep pumping on the lift pump until you get clear diesel with no air bubbles, then tighten the pipe back up

the DAF is a pig to start after it runs out of fuel

Crack an injector off see if juice is getting there.
we have an 06 plate, if you leave it all weekend with less than1/4 of a tank, it drains back into tank, we have to have fitters out then to sort it.

Sent from my iPad.

Yep, it won’t self-bleed, you have to get the cab over and bleed it by loosening off the injector unions.

You will have to pump it manually about a million times before the diesel appears at the number one injector, but not nearly as many times for the other five. When you start it it will splutter and ■■■■ and pop for a good half a minute before it finally starts running properly.

As Harry & Shuttlespanker have described.

You will inevitably get diesel all over the place so will probably need to get the engine hot-washed and I would put new fuel filters on asap.

It’s handy to have another truck to start it off/help pump fuel through by cranking as will soon flatten batteries cranking but watch the jump leads don’t melt.

Own Account Driver:
As Harry & Shuttlespanker have described.

You will inevitably get diesel all over the place so will probably need to get the engine hot-washed and I would put new fuel filters on asap.

It’s handy to have another truck to start it off/help pump fuel through by cranking as will soon flatten batteries cranking but watch the jump leads don’t melt.

don’t need a second truck to start it from, if you prime it through properly, it will start after about a dozen or so turns, it will cough and splutter for a short while, but will run and clear

i used to do a bit of spannering a while ago, sometimes, i had to bleed it through twice before it would start :unamused:

Even better for bleeding injectors than an open-ended spanner is a locking spanner IMHO, stops the spanner slipping off as the diesel starts getting everywhere.

Harry Monk:
Even better for bleeding injectors than an open-ended spanner is a locking spanner IMHO, stops the spanner slipping off as the diesel starts getting everywhere.

that is a good idea in principle Harry, but, on the DAF engine, you may struggle getting that spanner in the right position

shuttlespanker:
that is a good idea in principle Harry, but, on the DAF engine, you may struggle getting that spanner in the right position

Nah, definitely works, I used one to bleed an XF 95 at two o’ clock in the morning in mid-Winter at Calais once… poxy fuel gauge said I still had a quarter of a tank left too. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Harry Monk:

Usually called flare nut spanners if you want a set cheap off ebay for the cab rather than workshop.

Definitely worth using on anything, as you suggest, with a fuel/air/water line going through to prevent rounding off esp brass air fittings.

There are crowfoot wrenches which are similar and use with a socket set but are even worse with restricted access.

I wouldn’t have thought there’d have been enough space to use one either so worth knowing thanks for that.

Thanks for the response Guys, sorted now, with a new locking cap and anti syphon device. Wonder if it will work though :unamused:

Sorry to disappoint you, but they will simply remove the sender unit

All of mine have locking caps and anti syphon devices fitted, but, the thieving 3.142key scumbags still took nearly 700 litres of diesel over the weekend :smiling_imp:

shuttlespanker:

All of mine have locking caps and anti syphon devices fitted, but, the thieving 3.142key scumbags still took nearly 700 litres of diesel over the weekend :smiling_imp:

They really are barstardos. Thats this weeks profit gone then.
I should be on guard, cos the thieving scumbags will be back,
If it was an easy pinch.
I would leave a barrell of diesel out with a loads of sugar in it.
Hoping it ■■■■■ there engine up.

Sent from my iPad.

spectron:

shuttlespanker:

They really are barstardos. Thats this weeks profit gone then.
I should be on guard, cos the thieving scumbags will be back,
If it was an easy pinch.
I would leave a barrell of diesel out with a loads of sugar in it.
Hoping it [zb] there engine up.

Sent from my iPad.

i hear formaldehyde and diesel engines dont mix

shuttlespanker:

No it’s a bit late now but I had the same problem a few years back with the sender unit so I had a plate made up that went over it and under the tank straps I then put loctite on nuts on tank straps , I no that if they want it that much there put a screwdriver thru the tank but it’s a way of stoping them removing sender unit ,i no its a ball ache n can be a pain but generally at weekends or if I’m overnighting I try to have as little in tank as poss, it’s gona get worse at mo cos its ■■■■■ season at mo I’ve already noticed more trannys on the road with rotating orange light s on the top with the words tree surgeon down the side on our roads

shuttlespanker:

Not from where I pass the trucks?

As muckles says, you can do what you want to try and stop them, but if they’re at your truck to collect and it’s quiet enough that they could remove the sender, they’ll just punch the tank.

The police know what goes on, they know who does it, they do ■■■■ all, that’s why it gets worse.
I’d have a few hobby bobbies that just harrass them, follow them around everytime they leave the p1key yard, it’s called crime prevention.

No, not from where you see them, but from the yard

As for needing a quiet area to remove the sender unit, you can do it without making any noise