DAF XF Engine Brake

I think I’m missing something. I’ve had a few shifts of DAF XFs over the last few weeks. Some of them the engine brake works fine by pulling the right stalk down one, two or three clicks. But one of them has a different stalk. When you push it down, it doesn’t stay down, it just springs back up. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

Not driven an XF, but on the CF that’s how it works. Pull down briefly and it turns on exhaust brake but there us only one setting.

You’ll notice it because the engine revs more…and basically nothing happens to your speed.

Did you get a green light on the dash?

It worked pretty well on the unit I could get it working on.

The stalk with 3 clicks is possibly an engine brake, whilst the stalk with single click (that springs back if released) is exhaust brake?

Didn’t realise any of them had engine engine brakes and exhaust brakes. This was properly poverty spec. Doubt it had anything unnecessary.

How often do you find fleet units with broken engine brakes?

On the MANs its the same. Press it down once for first setting twice for second and three times for third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three stage engine break/retarder is an optional extra.

I am sure they come with mx engine break as standard on the latest versions but if you don’t have the three stage or a manual gearbox you will find it will be as effective as hanging a bed sheet out the sun roof to slow down.