DAF XF ABS fault help wanted

i have a 2002/52 plate pre facelift model DAF 95XF with an ABS1 (truck) light on the dashboard

the mechanic i use plugged his diagnostic computer in to it, it showed that it was actaully an ASR fault, not an ABS fault

the wording on the display was “ASR Solenoid Valve Open Curcuit”

according to my local main dealer, the truck in question does not have ASR fitted :confused:

they advised me to look for a 4 pinned plug hanging down from somewhere above the midlift axle, this would be the plug that normally goes into the solenoid valve, after spending quite a lot of time looking for the plug with no joy, i decided to start checking the wiring looms for evidence of chaffing, with not much luck :imp:

the mechanic came back and pluged in again, it then said it was an ABS sensor fault on the front offside wheel, after 2 1/2 hours digging the old sensor out, cleaning the hole and refitting the new sensor, the light still did not go out :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

the mechanic came back to do a reset with the computer, the light came back on again, now saying that it was an ABS open curcuit fault on the front offside wheel again, traced that to a dodgy wire that plugs into the sensor

the plug and wire were replaced with a new section and wired in, all the wires from all the ABS sensors were checked for continuity from the sensor all the way to the ABS control unit, all showing good reading

the ABS light is still lit :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

the mechanic came back yesterday and did another reset on the memory, the light just comes straightback on again, this time, it is saying the same as the first time, ASR Solenoid Valve Open Curcuit

any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated, i have started pulling my hair out now (what bit i have left)

what colour warning light is it? red or amber?

couple of things to try…

you tried ‘tapping’ all the sensors in, in case the air gaps to big?

have you looked in the fuse board to see if theres a ‘asr’ relay or fuse? if you take them out makes any difference?

had one do something simular years ago but cant remember what i did to cure it! :blush: :unamused: :frowning:

it is an amber warning light

there is no ASR relay,but there is an ABS relay, the fuse that has the ASR on it is also an ABS fuse, fuse OK, pull fuse, the ASR warning light comes up too

just as a side, i have swapped all the relays round to check them, still no joy :frowning:

can’t get at the rear sensors, it is drum brakes and the sensor is located inside the drum, but if it was an air gap issue, it would say on the diagnostic computer “air gap too big” and give a wheel location

yeah thats what our diagnostic computer comes up with but some arent as precise :frowning:

the only other thing i can think of doing is put something under the brake pedal (to jam it open) then get some one to turn the ignition on whilst you listen to the solenoids and see if they ‘kick’? if not could be a faulty solenoid valve?

good luck!!

DAFs are a nightmare for warning lights, especially EBS/ABS/Brake truck warning etc. mine has a low oil level warning light even though all is ok.

senors are a big problem and long tedious job to fix. you can clear them on your diagnostics laptop but will come back on as you have found out.

I’m serious when i suggest you

TAKE THE ■■■■■■ BULB OUT OF THE DASHBOARD

It sounds like your following an untraceable fault and when you have a truck pushing 9 year old things are only going to get worse.

ellies dad:
I’m serious when i suggest you

TAKE THE [zb] BULB OUT OF THE DASHBOARD

It sounds like your following an untraceable fault and when you have a truck pushing 9 year old things are only going to get worse.

it is not a bulb, it is a LCD display type thing, all the warning lamps are in the same square, such as engine, oil, water, air, the lot

otherwise, it might be a consideration

Its a bad wire hanky and i dont care what you say, and i would go for the ebs/abs wiring loom take it all out and i bet you will find a little chaffing some where in that loom never mind you have looked with em beer gogles you wear you"ll never see anything not even day light look and look again it will be in there some where trust me

I reckon you’ve a wire chaffed or cracked, Volvos tend to look ok on the outside but are rotten on the inside, had a tacho fault the other week £192 to find a broken wire which did’nt look broke to me. Modern trucks = much hair pulling :neutral_face:

DAF I drive kept throwing the light for low coolant level on, new sensor and no change, new reservoir as they ofter warp and hold the magnet up, OK for a day and then back on. I decided to strip the loom back to reveal the individual wires and have a look, I felt along the wire and found a bulbous bit, stripped the insulation back to find the dreaded green powder and no wire left, even though the plastic was sound. Bad wire used at manufacturing level, but it was cheaper than good stuff…
That’s half the problem, using poorest/cheapest possible materials.

Down hill racers are crap for cheapo wiring, but saying that there cheap to buy so what can we expect

dad has had a amber and red ABS warning light up came into DAF on friday plugged the computer in said it was the sensor but was water in the plug or summat on the o/s drive axle apparently… quick drive down road light went off not come back on …yet

wiring on new trucks are frightening. my warning light came on and had little to no breaks, scare the crap out of ya running at 44ton coming down a hill to traffic lights. they changed the trailer valve on the unit , still nothing took it to DAF portadown, small wire thinner than one in a plug was broken :open_mouth: . broke a few times after that but knew what it was and was fit to fix it at the side of the road. after the 3rd time it was stripped back and re-wired… no problems since…

Have you got a valve attached to the back of your diff? with an electrical plug? If not then your EBS ECU just needs resetting, used to find this with the xf. If it has got the valve, chances are the wiring to it has gone open circuit, get it rewired back to the bulkhead.

An easy way to tell if you have the valve is to see if you have a switch on the centre of the dash with ASR written on it?

there is no switch on the dash with ASR on it, the ASR valve on the facelift model is on a crossmember just under the front edge of the fifth wheel, it is not there on the pre facelift that has the problem, there is no valve the same shape as that on the truck whatsoever.

the resetting of the EBS ECU, is that wiping the memory of the faults?

had the main memory faults wiped, light still comes on

according to my local DAF dealer, the truck is not fitted with ASR, but on my mechanics diagnostic computer, it says it has the software installed :confused:

when the small square test light goes through the sequence on start up, ASR does come up within the sequence

the abs needs to have the basis software and parameters programmed then, dont know why but XFs have a habit of doing this. (Thinking they have ASR when they havent) If they dispute it just ask them to do it and see what happens.

thanks for the replies, i will take it into a DAF dealer for them to do it, will let you know the outcome

The_DAF_Man:
the abs needs to have the basis software and parameters programmed then, dont know why but XFs have a habit of doing this. (Thinking they have ASR when they havent) If they dispute it just ask them to do it and see what happens.

was the correct answer :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

although, they called it resetting the ABS ECU

thanks for all the advice oh knowledgeable ones :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

No problem at all.

you could of always got a few gallons of petrol rob and done the ‘daft’ a favour and burnt it out :wink: then gone and got yourself a proper lorry aka volvo or scania :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: