Daf with ZF16 gearbox question

Hi all, I found a problem sometimes when I drive Dafs with the manual gearbox.

Sometimes when trying to start the engine it won’t turn over as it thinks its in gear ? I move the gearlever around and try selecting different gears, range change splitter, nothing works and it still won’t start. Eventually I had been trying so long the air pressure had dropped below 5bar? and the red warning lights come on, then it started. Maybe being at low pressure it reset what was jamming it.

Seen this a few times, not usually so long to start though. Anyone else had this and know a quick way to fix it ? :stuck_out_tongue: ( from a drivers point of view, not a owner/mechanic :wink: )

if it will reset when the air pressure drops, just keep pumping the brake pedal until the air drops low enough, then defect it whenn you get back

Lycanthrope:
know a quick way to fix it ?

Book it into a workshop or your gonna get stuck somewhere :wink:

Think you’ll find that if you keep the key in its final position (where it would normally start the engine) it will, after 3-4 seconds, start.
I’ve had this with the last 3 DAFs i’ve had, both 95’s and 105’s.
If I understand you correctly, when you turn the key to the start position nothing happens, and it feels almost like you have a flat battery. If so, try the above.