Daf turbo actuator

Hi chaps

Recently purchased a euro 6 Daf Cf 64 plate which has thrown up emission failure/add blue dosage fault.

The garage I use for maintenance didn’t have the software to dig deep enough to find the faults so took to Daf who are advising it is the turbo actuator?

Anyone had this fault before and could emission’s/add blue be linked to turbo?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Couple of thoughts.

How recently did you buy it? If it was really recent, like wednesday I’d go back to the seller with it, unless you bought it cheap with the fault already present.

Try clearing the codes and seeing if it comes back.

Is it actually using adblue? If not, look for a blocked pipe/injector nozzle or faulty pump.

If it is, perhaps the nox sensor? (emissions may be fine, just the ecu doesnt know about it)

I don’t know about Dafs but this fault on a transit engine is carbon catching the vanes in a variable geometry turbo causes the electronic actuator to jump a tooth .

WhiteTruckMan:
Couple of thoughts.

How recently did you buy it? If it was really recent, like wednesday I’d go back to the seller with it, unless you bought it cheap with the fault already present.

Try clearing the codes and seeing if it comes back.

Is it actually using adblue? If not, look for a blocked pipe/injector nozzle or faulty pump.

If it is, perhaps the nox sensor? (emissions may be fine, just the ecu doesnt know about it)

Thank you for reply

Purchased the lorry on 25/02 however was a private sale so don’t have any comeback.

I advised Daf to clear the codes this morning and hold fire on ordering the £1500 part and 3 hours labour they quoted.

Is using add blue but maybe not as much as my old Euro 4 Cf.

Will see what this week brings have a gut feeling will come back on by Monday lunch time :angry:

Gardinerlogistics:
Hi chaps

Recently purchased a euro 6 Daf Cf 64 plate which has thrown up emission failure/add blue dosage fault.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

I’d be surprised if it didn’t. Where I’m at they have a fleet of over 100 of them from 64 plate to 18 plate and you’re lucky if you get one that hasn’t done it, usually they come up with a warning on the dash about 10-15 miles down the road. Got to the point we don’t even bother defecting them anymore. The few 19 plate ones so far haven’t, some of the 18 plates started doing it within weeks of them arriving.

Heard down the grapevine so no idea how true it is that when they made the exhaust they drilled the hole for the adblue injector in the wrong place so it’s slightly offset to the hole the fluid gets injected into and eventually the end of the adblue injector gets blocked with crystallised adblue. However you’d think this would mean that they’d eventually stop using Adblue but they don’t.

Is using add blue but maybe not as much as my old Euro 4 Cf.

On a 580km run from Howden to Lockerbie and back loaded both ways running 43 tonnes on the way back and making lots of use of downhill speed control so exhaust braking on the A66 they’re going through about 5 litres and that’s the same for the 64 plate million km ones or the 19 plate 100k ones and whether they’re the 450s or the 480s so I’d say you’re looking at just short of a litre per 100km. Been driving them since the first 64 plate ones arrived and they’ve been quite constant throughout.

Punchy Dan:
I don’t know about Dafs but this fault on a transit engine is carbon catching the vanes in a variable geometry turbo

+1 I’d bet money it is this.

Paccar, who owns Daf, use Variable geometry vanes in their turbos

Quickest fix is to whip it out, clean it with oven cleaner or diesel EGR cleaner and pop it back in. Might as well clean up the EGRs while you’re at it, as they’re all on the exhaust side and will be coking up and causing error codes soon enough

Really appreciate the response on this fella’s, will let all know the outcome-thank you

Daf turbo actuator - isn’t that drop a couple of gears and floor it? Not that it would make much difference in a Daf :smiley:

Hyh:

Punchy Dan:
I don’t know about Dafs but this fault on a transit engine is carbon catching the vanes in a variable geometry turbo

Quickest fix is to whip it out, clean it with oven cleaner or diesel EGR cleaner and pop it back in. Might as well clean up the EGRs while you’re at it, as they’re all on the exhaust side and will be coking up and causing error codes soon enough

This was the fix…they also cleaned out the the pipes and sensors before the turbo-fitter sadly managed to cross thread a metal pipe which screws into the exhaust manifold which cost me a new manifold and 5 hours labour…thank you for the advice its been invaluable.

Punchy Dan:
I don’t know about Dafs but this fault on a transit engine is carbon catching the vanes in a variable geometry turbo causes the electronic actuator to jump a tooth .

That was the fix mate your advice and knowledge is 5 stars
-thank you

Gardinerlogistics:

Hyh:

Punchy Dan:

This was the fix…they also cleaned out the the pipes and sensors before the turbo-fitter sadly managed to cross thread a metal pipe which screws into the exhaust manifold which cost me a new manifold and 5 hours labour…thank you for the advice its been invaluable.

Fantastic to hear it is sorted.

They charged you a new manifold for a damaged thread !? Why on earth didn’t they do a Helicoil or Time-Sert thread repair ? Much cheaper and quicker and generally strong enough for petrol turbo engine cylinder head bolts (And possibly diesel), so should be strong enough for a diesel exhaust manifold

Did they give you the “broken” manifold ?

:smiley:

Gardinerlogistics:

Punchy Dan:

That was the fix mate your advice and knowledge is 5 stars
-thank you