Daf Transmission Malfunction

Hi guys, a question for the techs out there.
Truck is a Daf cf 2019 6x2 builders merchants truck.
Problem is sometimes on start up the above warning comes up with a yellow warning light.

When you turn the key to ignition the n appears as normal but once the engine starts this is replaced by a - sign.
Always clears after 5 seconds, sometimes does it 2-3 times a day , sometimes not for a couple of days.I
I have reported the problem and we are waiting for a date from garage to get it looked at but was wondering if this is a fault that might leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for any replies
Duncan

The general consensus seems to be “it’s a DAF, they all do erroneous warnings” so ignore it. As long as levels (coolant, oil etc) are fine then ignore it and carry on.

Dunky123:
Problem is sometimes on start up the above warning comes up with a yellow warning light.

When you turn the key to ignition the n appears as normal but once the engine starts this is replaced by a - sign.
Always clears after 5 seconds, sometimes does it 2-3 times a day , sometimes not for a couple of days.I
I have reported the problem and we are waiting for a date from garage to get it looked at but was wondering if this is a fault that might leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for any replies
Duncan

Does it lose air when it’s stood? Could be related as the transmission needs air to operate.

DAFs are renowned for a screenful of errors, nearly as bad as the original Stralis and last gen Merc Actros. I have Engine Malfunction immediately followed by Exhaust Emissions Malfunction on my regular truck and it’s been doing it for months. Apparently a new NOX sensor cures it if you ever get it with yours.

Hi, yeah it does seem to like bringing up warnings.

It never does it first start of the day , generally once it’s been on the do for a couple of hours.
Duncan

It’s low on air (pressure)

Oh sorry, I misread that it does it on the first time of the day :_( Don’t know then, ours do that sometimes but it disappears on its own a second later.

Dunky123:

Thanks for any replies
Duncan

Your waiting for a date , if I report a issue it goes straight into the nearest scania depot & is repaired 9/10 times straight away ,if not I might have a few hours wait
NB ignore the idiot with his just carry on driving it , you really don’t want to lower your standards to his !!

dozy:

Dunky123:

Thanks for any replies
Duncan

Your waiting for a date , if I report a issue it goes straight into the nearest scania depot & is repaired 9/10 times straight away ,if not I might have a few hours wait
NB ignore the idiot with his just carry on driving it , you really don’t want to lower your standards to his !!

Old dozeys fired up these days with all his fighting talk lookout robroy your next in line

Mine did this for a while (2015 CF) but it was while eriving and didn’t leave me stranded. However it was starting to get really slow to go into gear at junctions so something was failing. Took DAF 3 days to fix it.

If its just doing this on startup, check the aforementioned air pressure before it starts. That can cause it until the pressure builds. It won’t go into N until its got enough air.

But yes its a DAF so errors expected. The engine malfunction / exhaust one is pretty much standard.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.
Apparently someone at Daf suggested letting some air out of the tanks to see if they’ve got water in them, so I’ll try that tomorrow.

Never does it when it’s been turned off for long, generally if it’s stopped and then restarted a couple of minutes later.

Dozy, I wish it was that easy but because were not a big transport firm everything goes through a company called CVL which are apparently famous for causing delays.

Duncan

Put some…

WD40 on the red suzi.

It won’t do anything about the transmission problem but, you’ll look like you know what you’re doing to any onlookers.

He might look like an idiot trying find his red Suzy though…
(6×2 builder’s merchant)

yourhavingalarf:
Put some…

WD40 on the red suzi.

It won’t do anything about the transmission problem but, you’ll look like you know what you’re doing to any onlookers.

It’s a rigid you clown. :unamused:

Double…

WOOSH!

Fit new air drier filter, run for couple days remove, and fit another. Sometimes cures it

dozy:

Cabbage! Do you ever wonder why you never got that call back for an assessment?

Could be a solenoid starting to fail. My lorry lost the gears in lower range the other day, but could go through 7-12 absolutely fine. Was the high-low solenoid at fault. Yours could be similar fault. Usual heat build up from working electrical circuitry could be increasing the resistance, hence why it develops after an hour or two.

Mine has done exactly what you describe almost every day for the last 9 months. Always disappears and doesn’t leave me stranded, except the one time when it threw a red transmission warning light while driving, lost all gears and had to restart engine to reset it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Hi, funnily enough I’ve never had the exhaust one but I sometimes get the check engine light followed by “adblue dosing malfunction “ normally goes away after half an hour of driving or sometimes the engine being off for an hour.

As other people have said the amount of lights and warnings it brings up can be annoying and really shouldn’t be happening in nearly new vehicles.
Duncan

Dunky123:
Hi, funnily enough I’ve never had the exhaust one but I sometimes get the check engine light followed by “adblue dosing malfunction “ normally goes away after half an hour of driving or sometimes the engine being off for an hour.

As other people have said the amount of lights and warnings it brings up can be annoying and really shouldn’t be happening in nearly new vehicles.
Duncan

Try leaving the adblue a bit short when filling it up. That is often triggered by filling the tank right up the neck.

The best thing to stop the faults appearing is to,

1. Let your diesel run to point of almost empty at least once a month to stop build up of sediment in the tank.
  2. Do the same as 1 with the adblue tank.
  3. At the beginning of the day turn your ignition on but don’t start it for about a minute or 2 to give the onboard computer a chance to acknowledge that it’s about to be powered up.
  4. Drain the airtanks once a month to stop build up of gunk.
    These 4 things should see that you don’t have a lot of warnings on the dash.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk