Daf transmision warning, help wanted

I had a similar problem today. Daf CF 85. 2009.4x2 Tractor unit. The truck had been sitting a few weeks.Started it up and got RED Transmission Warning light and “-” symbol on dash. Couldn’t move or engage auto gears. Thought the worst but thanks to few posts on here and another website I did the following:
1)
Drained Air Tanks on Passenger side (×2).
2)Took keys out of ignition and walked 150 meters away for 10 min.
3)Started ignition again
4)Shut cab and walked away.For 15 min.
5)Got back in.No Warning buzzer.No light.
6) Put truck in Drive.Warning came on again.
7)Turned key off
:sunglasses:Started again.No buzzer.No Warning Light!
9)Put into Drive. Hitched up trailer and everything works fine all day.
Hopefully this might help someone else.Red isn’t always the end of the day!

have a problem with my daf 95 2005 auto box

Transmision warning in red will not engage gears

any idears

Daf can not come to the yard till tuesday late morning and do a plug in

just want to know if its a big job ■■? ££££££££££££££££££

I drove an 05 one that had a floor selector. One day it lost auto change but worked manually for about a mile and then reverted to auto. Worked alright after that.

Big ■■■■:
have a problem with my daf 95 2005 auto box

Transmision warning in red will not engage gears

any idears

Daf can not come to the yard till tuesday late morning and do a plug in

just want to know if its a big job ■■? ££££££££££££££££££

Just a quick one have you drained the air out i used to have a 05 Daf 85 that used to do the same Dafaid told me to drain the air tank behind the nearside lift axle.Other than that it could be the clutch boost pack which aids the gearchange

take a look between the diesel tank and the midlift axle on the nearside, there is a small(ish) air tank on its end with a drain valve in the bottom, make sure you drain it regular, this is not the tank between the midlift and drive axles.

after you have drained the air tank, build the air right up to max until it blows off, turn off the ignition and remove the keys far enough away to break the connection between the transponder in the key and the steering column, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then try and restart

this usually cures it for the transmission warning with the amber light

shuttlespanker:
take a look between the diesel tank and the midlift axle on the nearside, there is a small(ish) air tank on its end with a drain valve in the bottom, make sure you drain it regular, this is not the tank between the midlift and drive axles.

after you have drained the air tank, build the air right up to max until it blows off, turn off the ignition and remove the keys far enough away to break the connection between the transponder in the key and the steering column, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then try and restart

this usually cures it for the transmission warning with the amber light

Thanks ss the unit has had the amber warning a while but last night it went to red and when you put it into drive it would not engage.
It did not even have the N sign on the display it has a take away sign -
I will try what you said tomorrow morning before daf come out hopefully save the Guv some money

Thanks to all the replies regards adam

if it has had an amber warning for a while, then turned to a red one, it sounds more like one of the ABS sensors or the excitor rings at fault, but try the air tank first, the ASTronic does not like water in the air system at all.

the ASTronic needs to read a road speed to be able to select the correct gear, this is done by using the ABS sensors which are already there

As std the as tronic tank does not have a drain bung.

Lynall

lynall:

Lynall

Can you put into english for me :smiley:

Big ■■■■:

lynall:

Lynall

As standard the AS-Tronic tank does not have a drain bung any good?? :grimacing: :grimacing:

phantom309:

Big ■■■■:

lynall:

Lynall

As standard the AS-Tronic tank does not have a drain bung any good?? :grimacing: :grimacing:

So what your saying is that i might not be able to drain the AS- tank if it has no drain plug to pull :smiley:

when you put igntion on before starting do you get any warnings coming up and do you get any other warnings than as tronic fault . if it only happens when engine started could be a sticking clutch plate on splines or clutch pack that has got water ingress there is 17mm spanner size nut on clutch pack n/s you can remove push clutch fork back if you get a squirt of water out of it chances are its u/s they dont like water and that why that air tank that shuttlespanker was talking about must be drained regular and checked. if no nutrel sign when ingnition on and not started and warnings up could be electrical power ,earth or can wiring to astronic modulator on top of box

Can you let us know how you got on? :smiley:

I had this very problem yesterday, a simple ‘turn it off and back on again’ cured the problem and didnt have any other trouble all day!

does the neutral N come on when you put the ignition on? Then get replaced by the ‘-’ on starting? If so you have a mechanical fault (Booster, fork, selectors)
If it does not come on AT ALL, you have an electrical fault between the cab and the gearbox

Steve-o:
Can you let us know how you got on? :smiley:

All done, it was the circit board under gear knob had to be replaced £1,200 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Usually full of hot chocolate/water etc! :smiley:

■■■■■■■ hell… get a road ranger. :smiley: