DAF question

DAF LF/CF/XF.

From what I can tell, they are different types of cab. I wondered what the differences actually are and what CF LF and XF stand for…anyone ?

I’m sure I read somewhere a few years ago that LF is Light Forte, CF is Comfort Forte and XF is Extra Forte. Might be wrong though.

Well done damoq …10 out of 10
Th LF range is a Leyland chassis ,albion axle, ■■■■■■■ engine,renault cab,ZF & EATON supplied gearcboxes ,though the EATON box is being dropped …CF /XF range are all DAF ,cabs built in westerloo in belguim as are the axles,DAF manufactured engines ,ZF supplied gear boxes,The only fly in the ointment is the 65 the mk1 was all Eindhoven apart from the engine being a ■■■■■■■ ,but due to the weight of he chassis The lighter LF chassis was then used

Now to confuse things even more DAF have dropped the numbers ,and it is now just LF, CF,XF …though in the real world people will still use them…

Cheers chaps ■■

damoq:
I’m sure I read somewhere a few years ago that LF is Light Forte, CF is Comfort Forte and XF is Extra Forte. Might be wrong though.

yep they did a day cab THF at one point… I think it stood for a
Trust House Forte :grimacing:

Taxi

Another couple of Daf questions; What engine is the 360 in an 85CF (2009)? I’ve read the 380 was the 13litre, and I’m guessing the 360 was the MX11?
Was the 380 axed a while ago? All the 380s I’ve seen are around 55-56 regs.

Talking of the CF being built in Westerloo, anyone else see a resemblance to the Leyland Constructor?

Not sure about 2009
But, I am pretty sure the 2008 360 was the 12.9 engine
The earlier 380 up to 2006 ? was the 12.6 engine

The Leyland Freighter cab became the DAF 60 iirc, not sure about the wider constructor cab

The earlier 85 cab was Badged a Leyand DAF iirc

Muckaway:
Another couple of Daf questions; What engine is the 360 in an 85CF (2009)? I’ve read the 380 was the 13litre, and I’m guessing the 360 was the MX11?
Was the 380 axed a while ago? All the 380s I’ve seen are around 55-56 regs.

Talking of the CF being built in Westerloo, anyone else see a resemblance to the Leyland Constructor?

MX 11 has only been out for a year it is a completely new engine for Euro 6
It will be the original MX in the CF85 ,unless im wrong the 85CF is the previuos model , The MX is a 12.9 litre. It is the same basic engine no matter the power rating ,The power rating is basically the turbo that is fitted along with the ecu programme

Don’t quote me as I never bother about power rating unless I have too but the 380;s may have been Euro 3 motors with the XE/XF engine

DAFMAD:
Not sure about 2009
But, I am pretty sure the 2008 360 was the 12.9 engine
The earlier 380 up to 2006 ? was the 12.6 engine

The Leyland Freighter cab became the DAF 60 iirc, not sure about the wider constructor cab

The earlier 85 cab was Badged a Leyand DAF iirc

you have had the 85 85CF CF85 and now it is a CF

HP ratings for the EURO 4/5 engines are

When I worked at Smiths they had CF75s with 360s in and weren’t as great as Id’ve expected, certainly not when compared to an Alpha with a 345 Cat in it.
Because of this I thought the 8wheeler where I work now would be a bit slow at 360 but it was very good. Since remapping to 420 it’s brilliant, it was always good on fuel and adblue but it’s fantastic now. Best Daf I’ve ever driven, so much so I’m not that keen on my boss buying me a new one now.

What year were they ?

iirc there was a period where the 75 had the smaller engine 9 or 10 litres, but pushed to 360, whereas if it was the 85 it would be the 12.9

Just looked it up it was 9.2 litres, so smaller block, lot less torque

CF75 9.2 in 250/310/360 versions, whereas CF85 12.9 also 360/ + 410/460

Think that was the PE engine…Which is no more ,the MX11 has replaced it as the PE had reached the end of the road and couldn’t make EURO 6 regs

Smiths Dafs were 57 reg. A good way to compare them was running up Birdlip, the Fodens would get away but the last 150 metres near the Air Balloon pub the Dafs started to catch up a bit. It could’ve been that gear changes were slow with the 12 speed Eaton stick compared to the Daf 8 speed.
Is it true Norb that you can change an 8 speed to a 16 by swapping the top of the gearstick? Probably just a myth I’ve heard over the cb though. Would love my 8wheeler to have the 16 :sunglasses:

Just saw this muckaway…no you cant just swap the turret ,you need another gear in the gearbox ,selector fork ,airseals ,valve on the box a GV valve at the clutch pedal,gearknob and piping

norb:
Just saw this muckaway…no you cant just swap the turret ,you need another gear in the gearbox ,selector fork ,airseals ,valve on the box a GV valve at the clutch pedal,gearknob and piping

Easily done then :stuck_out_tongue:

norb:

Oh well, I’ll make do with the remapped 360 and “reduced ad blue consumption” then. :smiley:
A subbie we occasionally use had his 2 Dafs remapped and Daf reset the mapping to it’s original settings without asking. Not a happy bunny.

AHHH Davie will show up if a vehicle has been remapped,and depending on the remap DAVIE will overwrite it…He should have said when he dropped the vehicle off not to reprogramme the engine …Though unfortunately certain repairs require a reprogramme…H should have checked with whoever did the remap if it was permanent or was easily overwritten…If the dealer didn’t know what he had done then you really can’t blame them…

So there is a lesson for yourself,any engine issues then let them know ,though if it is under warranty ,the it is the chance you have to take as any remap may invalidate ay warranty repair

If I was you I would check with whoever done the remap,if it can be overwritten with DAVIE and if so will they redo your remap free of charge

My CF85 has a strange aircon problem; Switch air con on (not recirculate) and barely anything comes out and takes ages to demist the windscreen. Switch to recirculate and it blasts out, but air con isn’t that cold (I know that’ll need re gassing). I’m not a huge fan of air conditioning I prefer the sunroof up but I would like to know what the problem is?

Muckaway:
My CF85 has a strange aircon problem; Switch air con on (not recirculate) and barely anything comes out and takes ages to demist the windscreen. Switch to recirculate and it blasts out, but air con isn’t that cold (I know that’ll need re gassing). I’m not a huge fan of air conditioning I prefer the sunroof up but I would like to know what the problem is?

blocked (pollen) filter!

weeto:

Muckaway:

blocked (pollen) filter!

:blush: Bugger I’d forgotten that, cheers. Our yard is a dust bowl at the moment, thanks to all the screening we’ve been doing. Worst thing is I used to clean the filter on my old Alpha, I’ll take it out tomorrow and give it a going over with my air hose. Note air hose not tacky All Ride duster gun. :wink: