Daf LF

Well someone crashed into one of you Yellow Eurocargo’s a couple of weeks back so we’ve got this hired motor.

Short a bulk driver today so they took me out of a sprinter :laughing: yippe!

This thing is only a 7.5 tonner but bigger than the 18 tonner i passed in! :open_mouth:

Now i thought that the 54 reg Eurocargo’s we have were ‘ok’ but after driving this LF i’ve realised just how crap the Iveco’s really are. Now this Daf was pretty much top spec, sleeper cab, night heater tail lift and a couple of other goodies. But it makes the Iveco’s feel sooooo cheap and nasty by comparison.

It didnt like starting, took a lot of cranking over and splutters into life with some throttle and sloooowwly picks up. (reckon the fuel filter’s clogged or, preheat is knackered or something) Gearbox was smoother and easy to use, the steering wheel didnt feel like a wood rasp, steering was lighter and smoother, engine was quieter (i’m not convinced ford Diesels have bearings fitted) ride was far smoother, seats were so comfy i didnt want to get out come end of shift. It had a propper set of mirrors (wide angle and kerb mirror) Even the gauges had an anti glare coating on the glass. I can really see why you see more Daf 7.5 tonners about these days, Iveco cargo’s used to have the market covered!

Are Daf’s bigger Trucks as good?

dennisw1:
Are Daf’s bigger Trucks as good?

Can only speak for the CF65 but in a word No. I don’t thinks so anyway. Would rather drive the bigger LF than a comparable CF.

DAF LF’s are absolutely superb IMO. The best 7.5t on the market by a distance.

I have driven DAF CF’s - in both rigid & tractor unit form, and no complaints - 2nd best “model” I have driven after the Volvo’s which make up most of the fleet. Unfortunately we also have 3 Stralis’s which aren’t quite so good… … …

G

Iveco Cargos, ‘feel’ very cheap in comparison dont they?

What is the actual difference between a small CF and a large LF?

I drive an LF 14 tonner…it’s alright I guess.

Reasonably comfortable inside with most mod cons.

But a very, very rough ride when not heavily loaded. A small rut or a seam in the road shakes the hell outta the driver and the load.

The brakes are rubbish …but I find that on most of the DAFs I’ve driven.

I think they fit the 7.5t brakes in the LF HGVs as well. It certainly feels like it. :frowning:

I think the main problem is that the lorry we have isn’t suited to our work…building sites, rural roads, difficult loads, etc. The LF is an urban distribution vehicle in my opinion.

But a lorry designed to perform in a harsher environment costs more I guess, so we have to put up with something unsuitable. :imp:

A lot of the 7.5tonners these days have piddly little 4 pot engines. DAF would do well to stick with the ■■■■■■■ B Series. I think Iveco used to use a similar engine as well.

I used to drive a DAF 45 rated at 10 tonnes and it went like a train.

I think these days it is more about weight/payload so manufacturers will obviously go for a lighter engine.

Mine is a 180, I think it’s 6 cylinder with a 6 speed box.

It’s got plenty of torque unless you’re fully loaded.

The 7.5t LF we’ve got has got a 170 in which I think is the 4 cylinder and it’s reving it’s nuts off at 50 mph in top (5th).

I hate the 7.5t one…mainly cos reverse is where 6th is on my 14t and all the other controls are the same! :open_mouth: The retarder is broken as well, but that’s not the end of the world cos it’s only a Go Kart. :laughing:

the LF rigid is pretty good in comparison. its a hell of a lot better than our rigids (MAN LE 220). the CF rigid is nicer to driver although the 26 tonner has a really poor steering lock compared to the Scannies. the CF unit is awful. i hate it. the one i am referring to is our 51 reg so it may have been replaced by now. the XF is a nice unit though but i still prefer the ERF ECT :laughing:

I’ve got a 52 plate CF65 right now. I love it. It’s old (3… :open_mouth: ) and bits are falling off, it shakes and rattles and takes effort to start (knackered injectors) but I love it. Somehow, it has managed to worm it’s way into my emotions… Next week they’re swapping my lil baby for a LF45 10 tonner… my office don’t care - bye-bye bunk and night heater… :cry: :cry:

I’ve got a 10T LF 45, six pot 180 engine, six speed, on a 52 plate, with a sleeper cab.

I think it’s a great little truck (that sounds like Hello Hello’s Lieutenant Gruber praising his little tank!).

It accelerates and pulls well, and the exhaust brake is effective. MPG is around 12.5 on a long run at top weight (speed limiter currently at 60mph).

It’s a bit skippy on the front — its on 175” wheels. My only complaint is the location of the tacho — down by the right knee! This one also likes a bit of cranking to get it started — but it always has so far!

Previous truck was a 12T Iveco Cargo, 210 engine on a Y plate, with a 6T drag unit. Only kept that one for six months!

The 7.5t LF we’ve got has got a 170 in which I think is the 4 cylinder and it’s reving it’s nuts off at 50 mph in top (5th

The one i had yesterday was a 150 i think. on the limiter at 56 (yes it was set to this even though it’s only a 7.5) it was cruising along hapily at the top end of green.

My only complaint is the location of the tacho — down by the right knee!

took me a couple of min to find it!
:laughing:

The brakes are rubbish …but I find that on most of the DAFs I’ve driven

Yeah it did have brakes like the Merc 1820 i passed in, they did nothing when you put your foot on the brake, then you pushed a bit harder and it practically stood on it’s nose. Great once you get the feel for them, but hair raising to begine with!

and the exhaust brake is effective

Yep actually works unike the cargo’s!

dennisw1:

The 7.5t LF we’ve got has got a 170 in which I think is the 4 cylinder and it’s reving it’s nuts off at 50 mph in top (5th

The one i had yesterday was a 150 i think. on the limiter at 56 (yes it was set to this even though it’s only a 7.5) it was cruising along hapily at the top end of green.
!

Might have been 60mph that it was doing that then on ours…I’ve only took it out properly once (thankfully), although I doubt I’d have been doing 60! :open_mouth: I only get paid to do HGV speeds as far as I’m concerned, why drive faster and have to do more work! :laughing: