Daf LF 55 cruise control (2001)model problem!

Morning all, new to forum hope this is the right place to post.

I have a daf lf, the cruise has been working ok since getting truck, then last week went to use it on m/way and nothing happend…took stalk out and checked it over with meter all switches seem to work fine, the two fuses were ok…does this unit go through a relay…difficult to get any info, wiring diagram etc btw also noticed that the (P) red parking brake light was on as well stays lit when brakes off, this could be dirty swtich, but not sure if they may be connected somehow?
any ideas…

All the best
Captainking

Thought I would answer my own question!
Took truck to DAF dealer this morning, was advised the other day i was looking about £65.00 for dianostic check…OK…left truck…walked to mother in laws for a cuppa…rang at 12 pm to see if ready, said still working on it…so had a brisk walk back to DAF…they told me what i already knew the fault was the parking brake telling the cruise not to work…DAF trucks said they cant fix now as it is a wire gone in the loom somewhere…ok went to office to pay and re-book to repair fault…

Bill came to £195.50 whick took my breath away…I questioned it they assured me that it was correct…still in a daze I left and went back to inlaws for a stiff cuppa…sat thinking for awhile and looking at my clock somthing was wrong, drove back to DAF and challenged the repair time, it was impossible I had been there when the truck was sat outside on the forecourt…somones telling porkys…well they admitted that the fitter had put the hour in wrong so i was overcharge by an hour…bill now £ 135.00 nicker…do you want to leave the overpayment till next week when you bring the truck back in…? no ile give you another cheque and run…bye!

So looks like i will have a stiff leg during my journey to SW France from Barnsley at the end of the month, better than being stiffed in the pocket…

Oh! i checked the tacho to see when the truck was moved it was only just 1.5 hours. tacho’s cant lie!

Captainking

Just a thought can you not try and get
a copy of the wireing loom and get a
electrician to check where the break is??’
AND THEN PERHAPS rewire this part
where the break is, ■■?

I think the cure is a new handbrake lever, unfortunately.

Any ideas where i can get a copy of the wiring diagram ? I am ok with electronics, the computer test showed that the fault was the loom, disconnected the connection at the diff and traced back to diss board under front panel, when dissconnected to fool the cpu that the brake was off the cruise worked, but because i have to have the parking light working for safety so the DAF dealer says, so need to fix it…have a couple of weeks yet so will try and sort it myself…DAF tell me the bill could be upto £500.00

GULP! :open_mouth:

Captainking

Hello is this any goodHERE

YOU have to go on to the DAF LF SPOT; hope this can help you out

brit pete:
Hello is this any goodHERE

YOU have to go on to the DAF LF SPOT; hope this can help you out

Hi thanks for the info. will have to study it further

Regards
Captainking

Do they charge labour on top of the diagnostic check? If so, thats daylight robbery, if not, hat was the extra £70 for on top of the £65 diagnostic check?

scottishcruiser:
Do they charge labour on top of the diagnostic check? If so, thats daylight robbery, if not, hat was the extra £70 for on top of the £65 diagnostic check?

Cost as follows,
Use of computer connection £45.00 + vat the rest was for labour, fitter unpluged abs/parking switch at diff, this they said at first took 2 1/2 hours…got it down to 1 1/2 hours…i know i have been robbed but they had my truck and keys. but i wont be going back to them for anything else…

Captainking
Going to dig some holes tommorow to earn some money, but it wont be at the same rates they charged me! and ile be working my gonads off…

i think you ought to name and shame the dealer :confused:

oh, and as for the long journey and the stif leg, get a brick :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

oh, and as for the long journey and the stif leg, get a brick :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whats the brick for cpt shuttle, to throw at the heap of crap :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: = daf

shuttlespanker:

Just to update, i have been stripping and cutting wires from the truck today in workshop and got the brake light on dash to go out, took truck out and hey presto cruise control works…now just got to find fault on the brake light side of things that stop cruise from working…Visit from VOSA at 8am tomorrow doing check of records and truck…

Captainking

UPDATE!

The nice man from VOSA he say YES!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ts been a great day, after a good night sleep, dreaming about break lights and cruise control, computer, lumps of wire…

I traced the last link that was giving problems, and tracked it back to braking alarm and managment unit, test metered it out and showing live when i think it should have been neg…so disconnected it from the entire wiring circuit, checked again and heared it click when i reapplied the last live link…thar she blows…dash break light light works as it should, went for test drive and cruise working loverly juberly… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So all the tech talk from DAF main dealer saying that they had to stip the wires out the go up through the cab from the back axal, through the roof of the cab to find the damaged wire…WAS A LOAD OF B*****S…and at a whopping cost of upto £500.00 plus vat guestimate they said, or could be more didnt know how much wire they had to find…

What I have done is simply reset the management unit that had frozen, just like a computer can…Soooooooooo…i am going to send the DAF dealer a very strong letter…if their staff cant sort a fault out like this when they can plug into a computer, have all the wiring diagrams there to look at, then i am in the wrong job! yes it took me awhile but i was going at it blind reading the tiny numbers on the wires and tracing…with the circuit diagram it would have been a piece of ■■■■.

If you get this problem the management unit is on the bulhead behind main fuse panel on R/H side, the bottom grey panel on passenger side has to come out.

Captainking

I have this problem on a 2003 LF 45 except its intermittent. Can be driving along on cruise absolutely fine then the (P) light will show and the cruise disables.

Pulling in and applying and releasing the park brake fixes it.

I’ll check the wiring as suggested assuming its comparable on the smaller truck.