Daf euro6 dash speedo cover

Hi have a 20plate cf daf with a cracked plastic speedo cover what I mean is the plastic cover that covers the speedo and rev counter has anyone managed to replace the plastic as daf have said it’s a sealed unit and the lot has to be replaced at a cost of 1400 +vat any help much appreciated

Robbo919:
Hi have a 20plate cf daf with a cracked plastic speedo cover what I mean is the plastic cover that covers the speedo and rev counter has anyone managed to replace the plastic as daf have said it’s a sealed unit and the lot has to be replaced at a cost of 1400 +vat any help much appreciated

At that price!..:
Cut away all the existing plastic screen/cover except for a narrow border. Clean out all the swarf, and stick in a made to measure new screen/cover.

Do you use Chrome Pink? The drivers where I work who use that have all had theirs do the same and it also did it on my MK4 Ford Focus but I was able to convince the local dealer to get it done under warranty.

Conor:
Do you use Chrome Pink? The drivers where I work who use that have all had theirs do the same and it also did it on my MK4 Ford Focus but I was able to convince the local dealer to get it done under warranty.

The cleaning product is making the transparent screen brittle? And cracking it?
I was assuming that the screen was cracked because of an impact.

You managed to get the Ford dealer to replace a dash screen under warranty? Well done.
I bet they didn`t think it was broken as a result of chemical damage!

Franglais:
The cleaning product is making the transparent screen brittle? And cracking it?
I was assuming that the screen was cracked because of an impact.

No, they start to get very thin hairline fractures in the plastic which then multiply and spread, eventually becoming a proper crack. The only ones it’s happened in are those who are cab polishers and they all use Chrome Pink. If I get a unit with the problem I’ll take a photo.

You managed to get the Ford dealer to replace a dash screen under warranty? Well done.
I bet they didn`t think it was broken as a result of chemical damage!

Where it started on mine was right in the bottom right corner, I’m guessing it’s where the Chrome Pink had run down and I’d not been able to wipe it off properly. Needless to say I don’t use Chrome Pink on the replacement.

Worst part about it is that you can actually replace just the clear plastic, it just is screwed and clipped in place, but like DAF Ford don’t supply them separately. Local dealer thought it was stupid having to replace the whole thing for a few quid of plastic too.