DAF distance sensor

Anyone else’s Distance sensor refuse to work at the first sign of a snowflake meaning the cruise control doesn t work. First works problems, granted.

Or heavy rain, or road salt, or an imaginary low bridge

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

And if you turn it off?
It clears itself, and bleeps and flashes, when it fails again. And clears, followed by more bleeps and flashes as it fails again.
Of course at the design and trial stage no- one thought to put some form of heating there? Or an air jet? Or a way of stopping repeated flashing and bell ringing…
****ing nonsense. A good idea, spoiled by lack of practical trialing.
Bells and lights flashing unnecessarily, teach us to ignore warnings.
Applies equally to Lane Departure stuff

mjallby:
Anyone else’s Distance sensor refuse to work at the first sign of a snowflake meaning the cruise control doesn t work. First works problems, granted.

Also in (heavy) rain. If you have adaptive cruise control (newer DAFs) it will switch itself off, too (the whole thing) so you have to use your FOOT to keep the acc. pedal pressed down. Unbelievable.

ETS:

mjallby:

Also in (heavy) rain. If you have adaptive cruise control (newer DAFs) it will switch itself off, too (the whole thing) so you have to use your FOOT to keep the acc. pedal pressed down. Unbelievable.

Personally I don’t care much about that. Repeatedly shouting “I’m not working” even after being turned off, is insane.

Franglais:
Personally I don’t care much about that. Repeatedly shouting “I’m not working” even after being turned off, is insane.

For the record, I was being sarcastic. Yes, DAF win my award for ‘most annoying ‘fault’ sound’. Tee-dee-dee-din! Tee-dee-dee-din!

That must be a ■■■■■ having to put your foot on the pedal unheard of in this day and age, snowflakes if ever there was one

Not sure any of them do inc the ones on cars. Trouble with relying on a laser is it cant see through snow, fog, rain or anything else which disrupts light. Radar would be better but probably much more expensive.

Line detection doesn’t work as it usually uses the same box on the windscreen.

Could use LIDAR but that causes its own problems a d us way more expensive. Not something you get on a DAF CF. More like 100K self driving car.

I’d you turn off the adaptive cruise control by setting the distance levels to off from memory cruise control will work again. Using buttons on steering wheel to access the distance level setting. Been a while since I drove our XF so can’t be any more helpful than that.

The issue with cameras and radars is they get dirty or obscured by rain/dirt snow etc.

We have an MAN rigid that keeps getting defected for AEBS malfunction, every time it just need the camera screen area and radar sensor cleaning and the warning goes away. Technology is a great thing apparently. But never foolproof and requires some thinking still on the drivers part.

ETS:

mjallby:

See my post above. Dissable the adaptive cruise properly and cruise will work as normal.

simcor:

ETS:

mjallby:

See my post above. Dissable the adaptive cruise properly and cruise will work as normal.

Yes. Ordinary cruise available but ACC, not there. Not a problem. I
Warnings and buzzers sounding because no-one thought a have a screen wash nozzle fitted, or a proper switch to turn the poxy thing fully OFF.

Also had it on mine when the screen is steamed up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Does anyone’s warn you that you have disconnected your trailer?

stuwozere1:

The MAN that I drive does; it tells me on the dash that the offside trailer indicator is no longer working. No ■■■■ Sherlock!

the maoster:

stuwozere1:

The MAN that I drive does; it tells me on the dash that the offside trailer indicator is no longer working. No [zb] Sherlock!

Ours tell us that the AEBS on the trailer is faulty/disconnected. I know it’s disconnected because I disconnected it, no need to tell me every 20 minutes!

the maoster:

stuwozere1:

The MAN that I drive does; it tells me on the dash that the offside trailer indicator is no longer working. No [zb] Sherlock!

I had that on MAN a couple of years ago, I couldn’t understand why because it was an 18t rigid.

the maoster:

stuwozere1:

That’s been a trait of MAN tractor units for the past decade. From my extensive testing spanning many years with new/old units and new/old trailers, it seems to be a poor design with the plastic plug on the tractor electrical suzi being a fraction too narrow. When inserted into the socket on the trailer it allows some lateral movement and ultimately breaks the connection on the pins and one of your trailer indicators stops working until it moves 0.5mm back the other way. You can eliminate it about 98% if you get a narrow screwdriver and pry all the pins inwards on your tractor suzi and if you’re really careful you can pry them apart in the trailer socket as well, but don’t overdo it as 1. they might break and 2. you might end up not being able to get the plug in at all. It also helps a lot if the suzi plugs are the correct length for the sockets on the trailer; if they’re not you’ll find that the clips underneath the weather flaps sit on top of the lug on the suzi plug rather then behind it, which are there to stop them from working loose and falling out of the socket.

stuwozere1:

I now know the 68 plate I was driving last night reads Trucknet as it not only failed the cruise control, but paniced about a “super low motorway bridge” on the M1.

Think I’ll stick to the 15 plate without all this gubbins. Must have been the salt blocking the AEBS as there was no rain, snow, fog etc. Just lots of wind unless that now blocks it.

Totally agree with Trevhcs. Mine keeps asking me if I want a newer truck-can’t understand why I prefer my 15 plate Volvo to a 16 or 18 plate. Simples less technology.

stuwozere1:

This

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk