Daf cf75 gearbox

I own a 08 Daf cf75 360.

What are the first signs of a gearbox problem? I’ve noticed a little oil seeping thru the top of the gearbox.

I know the garage spilt alot of hydrolic oil on it in October when changing my ally filters and possible it being that but I did clean it off to a fashion just before Xmas.

Thanks

Anyone help?

check make sure the breather is not blocked on top of gearbox

mattaid:
check make sure the breather is not blocked on top of gearbox

I know nothing about parts or fixing trucks. Where am I looking fir breather?

It’s seems to be very slight leak, unless it is the hydraulic oil the garage spilt spreading under the heat of the truck.

It seems a very thin oil.

it looks like a small mushroom type thing on the top of the gearbox

the top section should be loose and be able to twist it with your fingers easily

shuttlespanker:
it looks like a small mushroom type thing on the top of the gearbox

the top section should be loose and be able to twist it with your fingers easily

Thanks mate, Il look Tomoz. Like I said I’m totally useless with trucks other than driving them. That’s why I have a good garage but a very expensive garage!

Would the be any other signs if the gearbox is on way out or in need of repair?

normally driver side rear of gearbox under x member can be little sod to get too some depending on box are on turret top were gear lever goes.

were abouts on gearbox is the oil leak and does it have the pto on the top of the gearbox bell housing behind cylinder head is it a hymix body. if you could upload pic may help

mattaid:
normally driver side rear of gearbox under x member can be little sod to get too some depending on box are on turret top were gear lever goes.

Thanks mate, il look in morning. If I can see it il wait until I’m on my next expensive inspection and see what they say. The is no other signs of a problem.

I’ve also got a little problem with my steering lol

Yep, breathers get blocked up especially when you have the truck painted and very often still have the masking paper on them.
Usually tell-tale signs are chonking into 1st and reverse, jumping out of the odd gear and/or they start crunching between gears like a synchro going.

mattaid:
were abouts on gearbox is the oil leak and does it have the pto on the top of the gearbox bell housing behind cylinder head is it a hymix body. if you could upload pic may help

Excuse me for sounding thick!

It’s on drivers side and seems to be coming from near where the gear lever comes back.

Yes it’s Hymix.

DoYouMeanMe?:
Yep, breathers get blocked up especially when you have the truck painted and very often still have the masking paper on them.
Usually tell-tale signs are chonking into 1st and reverse, jumping out of the odd gear and/or they start crunching between gears like a synchro going.

What you mean by chonking?

It’s never jumped out of gear.

Get the odd grinding when putting in reverse

:neutral_face:

mattaid:

I could email you a pic. I can’t upload as I’m on a iPhone.

I can’t see where the leak is but can see oil in the diamond shapes groves on the gearbox.

Best bet is to give it a good jetwash then use the truck for a day, will be virtually impossible to tell otherwise to be honest.

The_DAF_Man:
Best bet is to give it a good jetwash then use the truck for a day, will be virtually impossible to tell otherwise to be honest.

I popped in my garage today. I give it a little jet wash but it was a crap jet wash.

The guy at the garage thinks it’s just old oil on the gearbox which gets water on it and with the heat off the engine.

I’m in inspection on Monday anyway.

if you dont know what your looking at how do you know there not ripping you off ?
are you telling me you dont know owt about the workings of your truck ?
TBH i forget how much all this must add up to what with servicing,monthly inspections,repairs, i’ve allways done my own repairs/inspections,must be be a good job this mixer lark

Moose:
if you dont know what your looking at how do you know there not ripping you off ?
are you telling me you dont know owt about the workings of your truck ?
TBH i forget how much all this must add up to what with servicing,monthly inspections,repairs, i’ve allways done my own repairs/inspections,must be be a good job this mixer lark

Maybe we all ain’t as good as you and don’t have the truck know how that you obviously have.

I run a business not a garage!

This mixer “lark” is ok mate. You make a fortune as you a perfect.

never said i make a fortune but when you run said business there are costs that you can do something about and fitters wages come straight off your bottom line as do un needed repairs when said garage is short of work !

a good steam clean and keep your eye on it mate, if theres no crunching, grinding, banging, knocking, whining or popping out of gear dont sound like anything to worry about, like the others have said check the breathers not blocked and check the oil level. :smiley: