Daf cf

just been given a new daf cf unit turning curve is awful compared to my old Mercedes unit anyone else had this problem with daf cf ?

Topcat1522:
just been given a new daf cf unit turning curve is awful compared to my old Mercedes unit anyone else had this problem with daf cf ?

What wheelbase and axle configurations?

For comparison 4 wheel tractor units, both with 3.6m wheelbase, turning between walls.
DAF…14.32m
Merc …14.9m 0r 15.2 depending on cab type.

daf.co.uk/api/feature/specs … 202113.pdf
tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/curre … ractor.pdf

Turning circles for DAF 6 wheelers are easy to find, but for current Merc a quick look didnt show any 6 wheelers, but thats prob me being lazy.
There doesn`t seem to be much difference in turning between makes for comparable trucks.

Better turning circle than MAN’s of similar layout in my experience, and without a steering wheel the size of the one on HMS Victory :laughing:

There is something about Dafs though, its the one make i can’t just jump into and drive even semi competently, try and reverse into a bay more likely to end up in the one next to it, also more likely to ‘kerb’ the trailer when it’s something that almost never otherwise happens, doesn’t help that the switchgear layout makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Obviously once you/i get used to it things improve, i was most upset to lose my manual 460 CF when it was replaced, give it a while to get used to it Topcat and you’ll be fine.

At least you have some control over the mid lift (assuming it’s a 3 axle jobbie) and that axle will, should, raise even when fully loaded at speeds below 20mph, so a much better bet should we get some snow.

best one ive driven is scania

Juddian:
At least you have some control over the mid lift (assuming it’s a 3 axle jobbie) and that axle will, should, raise even when fully loaded at speeds below 20mph, so a much better bet should we get some snow.

Your experience with CFs is at variance with mine. The ones we had (all 59 plate 3-axle units) would steadfastly refuse to raise the mid-lift if there were more than a couple of pallets at the headboard (this was with a 10m fridge trailer). Our current crop of MAN units will all at least give it a go even when fully loaded (even if they do subsequently give it up as a bad job). I suspect it has more to do with how they are set up rather than the badge.

Roymondo:

Juddian:

Your experience with CFs is at variance with mine. The ones we had (all 59 plate 3-axle units) would steadfastly refuse to raise the mid-lift if there were more than a couple of pallets at the headboard (this was with a 10m fridge trailer). Our current crop of MAN units will all at least give it a go even when fully loaded (even if they do subsequently give it up as a bad job). I suspect it has more to do with how they are set up rather than the badge.

Lifting when loaded was by using the weight transfer button (same as MAN), not the perma lift button you would use to raise the axle after tipping for instance.

I’ve also had poor set ups before that were aftermarket lift axles, often with no manual weight transfer button at all, when tipped you would have to switch the engine off and back on again when the pre determined weights would allow that dratted mid lift to raise…particularly unsuitable design found on hundreds of car transporter set ups on the noughties where there was poor traction anyway due to design and even putting two light cars on the prime mover would drop that axle leading to all sorts of traction issues, snow? forget it.
After putting complaints in writing reference the dangers of lack of traction where i worked they were all retrofitted with suitable switchgear.