Daf CF Seat Problem

On our 02 plate, the air seat has a steady but constant air leak that our fitter can’t seem to solve. More annoying though is the fact it raises and lowers on it’s own.
In the mornings once the air has charged up, it lifts to it’s maximum height and will not drop even when the lower switch is used. You can dump the air on the normal switch (the one fatties use to get out of the cab) but it will resume it’s full height once the dump switch is reset. After a while it will settle down but will raise/lower on it’s own during the day. Bloody annoying and distracting, any suggestions apart from having a priest exorcise the ■■■■ thing? The seat doesn’t have the suspension lock off button and only has one lumber switch, if that helps identify it. It’s also a replacement one from some place called Barry Grewcock Daf. I reckon it was out of a scrapped wagon.

VOR it .its unsafe . i realise ALL dafs are unsafe due to restricted visibility , but best just stick to issue in hand

Also …

Get your mirrors fixed at the same time

boredwivdrivin:
VOR it .its unsafe . i realise ALL dafs are unsafe due to restricted visibility , but best just stick to issue in hand

Also …

Get your mirrors fixed at the same time

■■■■ off back onto the sunshine bus. Not even the same truck. I am however, having no issues with said “unsafe mirrors” despite working right in the centre of Oxford.
Any other suggestions that don’t come from the Variety Club?

Had a problem with mine recently. Touch the height button and it was either on the floor or touching the roof, nothing inbetween.Told them about it when it went in for inspection- Daf main dealer- sorted. I’m assuming it was seals as there was some new ones in the footwell.

My 3000 series Foden was like that from brand new Nathan, blew air straight through the valve and was worse on cold mornings. I got fed up of going up and down so just locked the thing solid but it appears that you can’t do that with yours?

Pete.

windrush:
My 3000 series Foden was like that from brand new Nathan, blew air straight through the valve and was worse on cold mornings. I got fed up of going up and down so just locked the thing solid but it appears that you can’t do that with yours?

Pete.

No mine has the lock off switch missing, as in never fitted. The old seat never had it and neither does our 8wheeler.
Daf seats are peculiar things, the Alpha I drove at Smiths was a nightmare to get the right position, yet our 8wheeler and the 6 I had on the flour were brilliant. Even the other Alphas that Smiths had were more comfortable, and other drivers noticed it too. Smiths did alter something on the subframe of the Alpha just before I came off the road and it improved.
On the subject of 3000 series seats, most of Smiths drivers locked theirs off as I remember. I always preferred the old Bostron seats that the early '90s Fodens had, with that big weight dial on the front.

Muckaway:
On our 02 plate, the air seat has a steady but constant air leak that our fitter can’t seem to solve. More annoying though is the fact it raises and lowers on it’s own.
In the mornings once the air has charged up, it lifts to it’s maximum height and will not drop even when the lower switch is used. You can dump the air on the normal switch (the one fatties use to get out of the cab) but it will resume it’s full height once the dump switch is reset. After a while it will settle down but will raise/lower on it’s own during the day. Bloody annoying and distracting, any suggestions apart from having a priest exorcise the ■■■■ thing? The seat doesn’t have the suspension lock off button and only has one lumber switch, if that helps identify it. It’s also a replacement one from some place called Barry Grewcock Daf. I reckon it was out of a scrapped wagon.

Unusual,most Cf drivers seem to be peering over the steering wheel,thought they were all midgets.

Suedehead:

Muckaway:

Unusual,most Cf drivers seem to be peering over the steering wheel,thought they were all midgets.

Maybe they all have defective seats and, faced with the choice of having it at max height (can’t reach the pedals) or min height (can barely see over the steering wheel) with nothing in between, they choose the option that allows them to actually drive the thing…?

The sunvisors are useless sitting so low down, and blindspots must increase surely? Also if you sit too high, you have to lean sideways to make use of the armrest in the door. I’ve always found it easier to get comfortable in an 85 rather than a 75, are the seat assemblies different?

When I used to describe this fault to the daf mechanic who maintained our fleet he always said a baffle had failed, the seat was fine after he had repaired it

I had a issue with a 06 plate it was either all or nothing air wise, I always put it down to me been 60kg I thought it maybe didn’t realise someone was actually sat on it haha :open_mouth:

Same problem with mine, told by the TM I didn’t know how to operate the controls. Fiddle with the height control enough and its ok, but if someone else drives the thing, I spend a couple of hours sorting it again. Wouldn’t mind if I was hourly-paid… Next time I take it in for service I will mention it. Last time I didn’t and our contract now says that we must ONLY top up Ad-Blue at the garage as its 20p cheaper per litre over 20litre containers. Wasn’t done on last service and it was the TM that took the bloody thing down there… Defective control on a seat will have DVLA op rubbing his hands…