Daf CF Range change problem

Just had two days on roof tile deliveries via the agency in a DAF CF 3 axle job, 8 gears on a range change. Yesterday was fine but today, 3 times, the lower ranges refused to select at standstill. Couldn’t get any one of them, but could select high range gears. Never had this before in this type of truck. Luckily it happened when not loaded.
Any advice/ comments?

Yes I’ve had experience of DAF’s locking up. Selecting neutral and flicking the switch up and down normally clears it up.

Maybe is it a valve sticking

I took it in for it’s 6 weekly check tonight so told them about it.

Thanks folks.:smiley:

Low reserves in the tanks can cause similar problems. See if you seem to lose more air when empty than when loaded by listening how often the compressor kicks in loaded as against empty. Check for air leaks around the vehicle. If you can’t find the air leak by it’s hissing sound, but are still losing a lot when empty, soap up round the air bag seating area on the drive axle. Swines for leaking there but not making a sound.

yep mine does this a couple of times a day, flick it up and back down again usually does the trick

Mine is nine years old and does it fairly often. The best advice is obi-wan’s - knock it in neutral and flick the switch you should hear it change.

It could be something slightly worse, the wire for the range-change is on the side of the gearbox in a stupid position and gets caked in muck and is exposed to all conditions. It might be different on a newer model, but mine went a few weeks ago, wire was cracked and had fell off. :unamused:

Thanks again for all the advice, I knew I would get the answer here! I got one or two challenging jo jobs that day!