DAF CF issues?

Our DAFS only went into service in September and there have been issues
2 have had 5th wheels requiring warranty repairs
1 intermittently does not operate trailer brake lights and shows no warning of this
1 is now not recognising the ABS lead being connected which then flags up 3 ABS/EBS warnings
1 had a fit and changed to manual in 12th gear and disengaged drive so i was idling at full speed with no ability to change gear or get any power down although this cleared itself. This is a common fault with mercs but i have never seen it on anything else before

are the most recent DAFS having build quality issues or have these issues always plagued them?

The 5th wheel issues are probably nothing to do with DAF. That’s probably Jost or Fontaine’s problem. Or maybe its the crap clutch control on the autos when trying to hook up to heavy trailers. All the slamming into the trailers probably doesn’t help.:smiley:

The ABS issue. Probably a blown fuse. I’ve heard people say that if you connect the ABS lead when the enging is running, it can cause a surge that’s enough to pop a fuse.

To my knowledge, DAFs don’t give you a ‘bulb out’ warning. It might just be a broken wire in the susie that’s causing in intermittent fault .

Never had an auto loose its gears while cruising though. Unless its got an EcoRoll function, but you’d expect the gear to re engage when you press a pedal.

But its a DAF you are on about so more than likely its a wiring problem on the unit somewhere, and none of the above possible faults I suggested. I’m surprised Norb hasn’t been on to help. Saying that, he usually only replies when you say how ■■■■ DAFs are. He doesn’t like hearing bad words said against them for some reason.:wink::D:D:D

The power wasn’t getting to the electric line for the trailer brake. Our mechanics checked the trailer then did checks on the unit.
our mechanics say both 5th wheels were damaged rather than faulty but DAF said warranty repair which made them wonder why
i checked the fuses and swapped ABS lead. Same issue with 2 different trailers