Daf cf abs valve?

Two months ago I had a brake disc replaced (2nd steer o/s) and ever since there is a ticking sound coming from that area at about 5mph, once above this speed it goes. There are no warning lights and no other problems but it is most annoying please help.

Sounds like the ABS self test.

Could you elaborate please ?

Tarmac duck:
Could you elaborate please ?

Not really as I’m not a mechanic. But quite a few cars do it when you set off, you’ll hear like a twang noise just as you’re picking up speed to about 5 mph after setting off for the first time and it’s the ABS self test. The area may be worth an investigation perhaps? Could be faulty or could of course be something else altogether.

Something stuck in the tyre? Has it got hubcaps?

Thx but no that is not the answer. It is quiet rhythmic but only at slow speed.

take wheel off and have a look,or go back to whoever did the job to check it out.probably nothing but best to check, could be a loose split pin?

Not a stone stuck in the tyre?

has the truck got any type of wheel trim/nut ring?
I have had this in the past!

Thx again but no it’s nowt like that. Been back to my maintenance provider twice had the wheel off, scratched our heads put wheel back on spun the wheel more head scratching. Unfortunately they are not blessed with computer plug in type things, quiet old fashioned really. I am sure if I went to daf at Walton Summit they would plug in a doofer and diagnose goodness knows what. But I would rather keep my trousers on and rely you knowledgeable folk. It’s Sat night and the Stella and Glennfidich are going down well stuff the wagon!

have you had a look to see if the wheel bearings are worn or have been set up right when it was put back together?
this also along with the wheel trim can make a tick, tick sound at low speed, a computer plug in wont mention owt about a heel hub that’s not been put back together to the correct settings
if you still have no luck it could be an abs modulator valve ticking, have you checked the electrical connections/wires? does the wheel run any hotter than the others ? could it be the pads dragging a bit? was the abs sensor set up right? is the back plate rubbing the disc at all? was the replacement disc an after market part as I have known some work slightly loose after a short while? have you any cracked wheels?
the scania 8 wheeler I often drive on nights has a tick,tick sound at low speeds from a front wheel but I know from the sound its a wheel trim/stud ring as I have had this problem before, I also know a local haulier that spent a fair amount of money replacing bearings along with other parts only to find the wheel trim at fault! if it was an abs fault I would think the light would be on the dash!
you seem keen to tell us what it’s not yet you still don’t know what it is!
if it’s none of the above let it develop! lol

I guess the noise wasn’t there before your repairer did the job ■■ Having paid them to do a repair ,take it back and get them to strip the hub again…You may not like using the dealer , and not all mechanics in dealers are perfect…But ,you have a far better chance of the job being done correctly ,or getting a correct diagnosis …

.Example I just did a job on a vehicle with an ECAS issue ,turned out the non franchised repairer had fitted and apu and only got 1 pipe in the correct position…!!! Now that is scary ,the ECAS and HANDBRAKE circuits are protected with non return valves ,unfortunatey they aren’t protected if plumbed up incorrectly…

If you have taken it back to them ,they jacked it up and spun the wheel by hand ■■ was the noise present ■■ did they do it with the ign on and off ■■,did they try it with any wheel trim off ■■ Since it only happens at slow speed and is obviously audible from inside the cab,drive it in the yard with someone walking beside said wheel and listening

The self chck that has been mentioned ,stick your size 10 on the brake switch on ign and you will hear the abs valves operate 1 after another

And all this from a DAF tech who hasn’t plugged in a laptop

thx norb tried spinning wheel with ign on and not a murmur. there is no wheeltrim have tried walking along side and the noise seems to come from one of the two valves nearest the wheel fastened to the chasis. I am going disconnect the abs sensor from the said wheel and depending on the result will disconnect the wire from the valve and maybe learn something :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Is this a lift axle or an eight wheeler?

Lift axles dont have ABS fitted as they would put the light on as soon as no signal was detected if the wheels were not rotating.

The ABS should never “self test” on a tractor by dumping the relief solenoids (modulators)
Only trailors use self test “dump” systems.

Thx again for all your replies. But norb you really must go to the the top of the class, the method you prescribed with boot on brake pedal cured it thx I am really gratefull. :smiley:

see Tarmac Duck we dealer techs aren’t that bad ,glad you have got there in the end .

.DAF do have a self test would like to think I have a reasonably knowledge of how DAF 's work though the previous poster apparently thinks tucks don’t self test…but we all lean something new daily

norb:
see Tarmac Duck we dealer techs aren’t that bad ,glad you have got there in the end .

.DAF do have a self test would like to think I have a reasonably knowledge of how DAF 's work though the previous poster apparently thinks tucks don’t self test…but we all lean something new daily

will add you may have a wiring issue in the making or that abs valve may be on the way out ,though they generally put a warning on the dash

norb:

norb:

will add you may have a wiring issue in the making or that abs valve may be on the way out ,though they generally put a warning on the dash

Is the self-test related to wheel speed on them or is it just coincidence it was stopping at 5mph?

Reason is I’m wondering if the teeth need cleaning or maybe the abs sensor wire got a yank and the connector needs pushing in properly again. Might be worth the OP as it’s fairly straightforward job to test everything on the ABS is as it should be on the wheel side, most places will have the kit to do this, before delving any deeper.

Whilst changing the disc (devil of a job) it was decided that the exciter ring was ok just a quick tickle with a wire brush and all was deemed ■■■■■■ dorey. Unfortunately soon afterwards the dash lit up with abs and transmission warnings this was swiftly cured by a hefty clout with a 1lb hammer ! That’s when the ticking started.