DAF 95's

I have a soft spot for the DAF 95s too. All the ones I drove were LHD, for Breda Transport (I’ve posted lots of pics of these on the North Africa thread). The only RHD one I used was this Super-Space, above, which I drove regularly to Morocco. Robert:)

There were 2 wagons I hated the gearbox on. The Daf 95 and the 10 ton Cargo. Never drove them far enough to get the hang of them.
The cargo was the worst, but the DAF defied logic. The limiter had been disabled and made for a scary drive (Unit only on the busy A11). Jim.

Jim its only you puts the foot on the pedal
Rich

tribsa:
Jim its only you puts the foot on the pedal
Rich[/quote

Hi tribsa are you into bikes?

“Bone Breaker” is the name given to this DAF 95 , photographed in Qawra , on sunny Malta.
There`s quite a few of the 95s in use on the island , as they now gradually replace the older British units.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Here’s a few of ours

gunnerheskey:
Saw this just outside Worcester about a year ago !
Still puttin in a shift

Saw it again just after Xmas on the M5 this year :sunglasses:
Still the best laid out cabs now !

hi steve,

is this still doing a days work :question:

also, is that a transcon I see lurking in the background in the garage, can we have some pics of that too please :slight_smile:

cheers
gaz

Some from me

007.jpg

tetragaz:
hi steve,

is this still doing a days work :question:

also, is that a transcon I see lurking in the background in the garage, can we have some pics of that too please :slight_smile:

cheers
gaz

Hi Gaz
She is in retirement now just bring a few tractors to vintage shows, if you look up my old transcon topic here there is a few pics of transcon

There are plenty of LeylandDAF 95s still earning a crust on the island of Malta.

Here`s another , sunning itself , as it awaits a new owner .
It certainly appears in good condition, and as the 2 slogans under the main bumper read :
“Loves to drive” and “Hates to drink” !!

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Hello CWM here’s some I took of Sam Ostle back in the 90’s. regards prattman.

I had this for a couple of years.

Cliff luxton:
I had this for a couple of years.

Nice motor pal :sunglasses: the cab looks like it sits higher than the average 95.

Yes Seth it had the 500 ■■■■■■■ so they were raised a bit.

The old DAF 95 500hp…
Did she not have an Eaton-Fuller Twin splitter (unsynchronised) box as no synchronised gearbox was available to DAF back then that could cope with the power?
If so, would she not have been the last “mainstream” unsynchronised lorry on European roads?

I think they had a ZF ecosplit with a hydraulic shift.

Davidoff:
The old DAF 95 500hp…
Did she not have an Eaton-Fuller Twin splitter (unsynchronised) box as no synchronised gearbox was available to DAF back then that could cope with the power?
If so, would she not have been the last “mainstream” unsynchronised lorry on European roads?

They had ZFs, Davidoff. I lived in hope that they would, as you describe, become the last mainstream high-cab constant-mesh unit for Europe but I discovered otherwise. According to Tip-top (who drove them) you could get flat-top DAF 95s in Belgium with 13-speed Fullers in, but it appears that none was fitted in a space-cab. If you remember, when Mr Bennett replaced his Cab-tec Strato cab on his Seddon-Atkinson with a DAF Superspace cab, he had a lot of trouble trying to accommodate the Eaton Twinsplitter and had to make modifications. Robert

robert1952:

Davidoff:
The old DAF 95 500hp…

They had ZFs, Davidoff. I lived in hope that they would, as you describe, become the last mainstream high-cab constant-mesh unit for Europe but I discovered otherwise. According to Tip-top (who drove them) you could get flat-top DAF 95s in Belgium with 13-speed Fullers in, but it appears that none was fitted in a space-cab. If you remember, when Mr Bennett replaced his Cab-tec Strato cab on his Seddon-Atkinson with a DAF Superspace cab, he had a lot of trouble trying to accommodate the Eaton Twinsplitter and had to make modifications. Robert

Read with thanks Robert. Very interesting input as usual.

Here’s a trio I ran.