DAF 85CF Transmission Fault

Can anybody offer any advice. We’ve got an 06 85CF which keeps flashing up transmission fault (orange) and it leaves us unable to select any gears. It use to reset, by turning the ignition off but now it can take up to 15 - 20 mins to reset.

We have recently taken it into DAF to go on the diagnostic but that didn’t reveal much, they decided it was a valve located next to the air dryer and so this was changed but since then it seems worse.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hi

I had a similar problem on a 105xf with AS Tronic. Kept coming up transmission fault and where the gear selected is displayed on the dash, it showed two vertical lines. It turned out to be the clutch pack mounted underneath the bell housing. They are prone to getting water in them. Had to get DAF to change it as it has to be programmed.

Hope this helps

nyk473l:
Hi

I had a similar problem on a 105xf with AS Tronic. Kept coming up transmission fault and where the gear selected is displayed on the dash, it showed two vertical lines. It turned out to be the clutch pack mounted underneath the bell housing. They are prone to getting water in them. Had to get DAF to change it as it has to be programmed.

Hope this helps

It may possibly be the clutch pack ,though on a 06 plate motor it may be a wiring issue…Getting a copy of the fault codes may help…The clutch pack is plug and play no programming required

when was the compressor last changed?

Thanks for the replies; when I sent it into my local DAF, they said the clutch was fine but to be honest I’ve got no confidence in them. Their response was basically we’re not too sure, they thought it was air related hence changing the valve. Can anybody recommend anyone in the North Wales / Chester area worth sending it to?

norb:

nyk473l:
Hi

Hope this helps

It may possibly be the clutch pack ,though on a 06 plate motor it may be a wiring issue…Getting a copy of the fault codes may help…The clutch pack is plug and play no programming required

Well I think my DAF dealer here in Kent had me over!!. I said after they diagnosed the problem that I would change the clutch pack myself, to which they informed me that if I did so, the lorry would not drive as the computer had to be told that a new one had been fitted!!!

nyk473l:

norb:

nyk473l:
Hi

Hope this helps

Well I think my DAF dealer here in Kent had me over!!. I said after they diagnosed the problem that I would change the clutch pack myself, to which they informed me that if I did so, the lorry would not drive as the computer had to be told that a new one had been fitted!!!

and here endeth the lesson :wink:

don’t believe half of what they tell you :wink:

P and G LGV Training:
Can anybody offer any advice. We’ve got an 06 85CF which keeps flashing up transmission fault (orange) and it leaves us unable to select any gears. It use to reset, by turning the ignition off but now it can take up to 15 - 20 mins to reset.

We have recently taken it into DAF to go on the diagnostic but that didn’t reveal much, they decided it was a valve located next to the air dryer and so this was changed but since then it seems worse.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

As other have said the wiring loom is, or certainly, was problematic, as was a problem with water collecting in a tray which runs under the engine and holds the loom. Have had experience of both in new and secondhand trucks. DAF are really the Allegro of the trucking world - 1970 designs trying to compete in the modern world.

shuttlespanker:

nyk473l:

norb:

nyk473l:
Hi

Hope this helps

and here endeth the lesson :wink:

don’t believe half of what they tell you :wink:

Thank you ‘Father’ Shuttlespanker Lesson taken on board!!

All autos have reeds or fingers to tell the ECU what gear the box is in.
These fingers operate off the gearbox turret and are the link between the “mechanical” part of the gearbox and the “electrical” part
As the gears shift the fingers sit on a cam or"fir tree" that tell the ECU what gear is engaged.
These fingers are made of thin shim steel and over time due to heating and cooling or fatigue they start to warp and twist.
Once the ECU looses a positively engaged signal it does not know which gear to shift too so engages neutral.
All “auto” boxes on trucks are manual boxes without a gear lever.Instead of you shifting a gear a computer makes the decision which is fine as long as the “computer” knows where it is.A true auto box eg torque converter and epicyclic gear train are far to expensive to put in some cheap tractor unit.

Sorry when it comes to AS TRONIC, you are in this case are wrong… I haven’t a clue about other autos so you I can not disagree with you there …though with my training on the ASTRONIC it uses sensors to measure how far the shift rail has moved when in a gear…The position of the rails when selecting gears can be measured either by a static or dynamic shift rail test ,Generally excess reading will be down to wear in the shift fork…

A worn clutch lever or pushrod will also cause the vehicle not to select a gear ,as with initial ignition on the booster will do a self teach process ,again with a worn clutch release arm,the measurements are out of spec and it will not select a gear

Now there is no need to get a upset and start the insults …I’m just giving an honest reply ,and it is Xmas :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

norb:
Sorry when it comes to AS TRONIC, you are in this case are wrong… I haven’t a clue about other autos so you I can not disagree with you there …though with my training on the ASTRONIC it uses sensors to measure how far the shift rail has moved when in a gear…The position of the rails when selecting gears can be measured either by a static or dynamic shift rail test ,Generally excess reading will be down to wear in the shift fork…

A worn clutch lever or pushrod will also cause the vehicle not to select a gear ,as with initial ignition on the booster will do a self teach process ,again with a worn clutch release arm,the measurements are out of spec and it will not select a gear

Now there is no need to get a upset and start the insults …I’m just giving an honest reply ,and it is Xmas :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And how do you “convert” a mechanical position into an electrical signal ?Magic

Your boring me now …it is called a sensor.there are various types of sensors nowdays PLCD being one of them (that is fiited to a AS-LITE booster) .it is amazing what a sensor can do nowdays…May be ZF failed to mention your reed switches …Technology has moved on …It would be nice if you would have a adult debate where all could benefit ,but you are just so aggressive to anyone who disagrees with you…As you no doubt have a great deal to contribute ,but can not accept you may be wrong

norb:
Your boring me now …it is called a sensor.there are various types of sensors nowdays PLCD being one of them (that is fiited to a AS-LITE booster) .it is amazing what a sensor can do nowdays…May be ZF failed to mention your reed switches …Technology has moved on …It would be nice if you would have a adult debate where all could benefit ,but you are just so aggressive to anyone who disagrees with you…As you no doubt have a great deal to contribute ,but can not accept you may be wrong

AS i said “MAGIC”

Bking:

norb:

And how do you “convert” a mechanical position into an electrical signal ?Magic

Hall effect same science as in an ABS sensor.

“hall effect” is down to a “moving magnetic field”

ABS sensors detect changing magnetic fields not much flux in a gear box turret.