DAf 3300 Twin steer

Just thought I would post a couple of pics of my DAF 3300 Twin steer, we bought this from Harris Daf in Thurrock and we were led to believe that this was the first 3300 Twin Steer that was registered in the UK. And plated for 38ton, we bought it primarily for a regular round trip contract to a small town between Nuremburg and Munich ( barnsdorf ) we used to carry empty drums out and return load with full drums of Aluminium powder mainly for Celcon Blocks, we had the vehicle fitted with ALCO ALLY WHEELS to save weight and when cleaned up she looked the dogs, and with the 330 engine pulled like a train. I was also reminded from another thread about trains, when we first started the contract we only had 8 permits so I had to use the train down to Munich. I cannot remember quite how it worked but I believe that we got another road permit after so many rail trips, but im sure someone out there will remind me.

Looks at its best there ,anyone see the 8 wheeler Daf on George Clarkes amazing space program last night it was a flat/ cab mounted crane looked to be in excellent condition .

Hi Yoyo,

Your mention of gaining a permit for using the train has scratched me somewhere in the back of the brain!

My first trip out of Europe - only Damascus, but it seemed a long way then - Brother Andy and I used the train. Documented in truck and driver & reproduced here:

middleeasttruckingstories.co.uk/

I think one of the reasons for using the train, as opposed to easier East European permits was to gain brownie points for straight through permits. Like you I can’t remember how it worked.

I’m shaking my head at how those in power make life difficult for those actually doing the job! Still!

John.

Hi John, your right mate Nothing ever changes, at least not for the good it seems.I remember wanting to drive M/E to get away from all the crap only to find it was worse driving " over their" hahaha.

In my early days on the Middle East I worked for a gentleman who was something of a ‘free thinker’ as regarded legislation. He came into pocession of a number of beautifully printed ‘off the record’ German permits of which he was very proud, especially about the bargain price that he had paid the printer.

He was less so though when it was pointed out that they were Hucpacverkier (railway) permits that were freely available at no cost from the Ministry any time you wanted them.

David

David Miller:
In my early days on the Middle East I worked for a gentleman who was something of a ‘free thinker’ as regarded legislation. He came into pocession of a number of beautifully printed ‘off the record’ German permits of which he was very proud, especially about the bargain price that he had paid the printer.

He was less so though when it was pointed out that they were Hucpacverkier (railway) permits that were freely available at no cost from the Ministry any time you wanted them.

David

HA HA HA, Great story, but he sounds like all of the company’s I worked for, they were only happy if you were running close to the wind but in them days we took it as that’s how it worked amazing really.

I had this one new in 1984 and kept it for nearly 13 years.

oldtrucks028.jpgMy father bought A457PHK which was a red 3300 4X2 tractor

oldtrucks034.jpgheres another photo

europleb:
0My father bought A457PHK which was a red 3300 4X2 tractor

Has the same Essex plate probably from Harris DAF in Thurrock.

yoyo5:

europleb:
My father bought A457PHK which was a red 3300 4X2 tractor

Has the same Essex plate probably from Harris DAF in Thurrock.

.yes thats spot on it was deliverd jan 84 and supplied by harris commercials.we also bought JTW703V a 2800 turbo DKTD 240 and NTW 534V a turbo intercooling DKS 310 as used trucks from the harris haulage fleet when they closed down their operation.we also had NMS934T which was a left ■■■■■■ dks 310

oldtrucks024.jpg

Heres mine, had it new in 1985 for geo davies &son out of warley essex.

IMG_0020.jpg

David Miller:

David

Probably printed by the well-known German wide-boy, Micky Permitz. Robert :slight_smile: