DAF 2600

bullitt:

[zb]
anorak:
Does anyone know why this operator needed such large cabs?

At a guess I would say that that could well be a Dutch removal company. The truck has a box body and the fella appears to be wearing some sort of overall / coat thingy. The big cab would be a crew cab, big enough to take a crew of 3/4/5 men on a daily basis and more than enough room for a crew of two for long distance, European deliveries.

That’s what I thought, but their other motors have tilt bodies (and the bloke is wearing a suit!):
zwntransport.nl/Nostalgie/Zu … nnamen.php

Their premises are as impressive as the vehicles.

Hey, it closed down in 2010, bankrupty ■■?
Wath they drove the last years I don’t know of marques and cab’s ERF ■■?
Eric,

Jac. van Namen (Exporthandel) from Zwijndrecht (later Royal Van Namen from Barendrecht) was
a wellknown exporter of fruits and vegetables and unfortunately went bankrupt in 2010.

@Tiptop…indeed a bankruptcy…to my knowledge Van Namen was a very loyal DAF-customer.

I overheard some years ago that POST-KOGEKO bought the transport-company, not the trade on
vegetables and fruits though.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
And to muddle further: Anorak kindly posted this pic on the Dutch cabs thread. It shows a batch of 2600s with high-roof conversions made by Paul & van Weelder of Nieuwerkerk a/d Ijssel (NL). Robert

The Dutch cabs thread says the conversions on the DO models were done by PevW, but these 2600s are not mentioned there. Is there any supporting evidence to the assertion that PevW did any of the conversions? There may be some clues in this picture, that I nicked off the site mentioned in the other thread:
The cab is longer, in addition to the obvious increase in height. Does anyone know why this operator needed such large cabs?

No, just mis-read your original post, thinking that the info on DO models referred to the 2600s! Sorry. Robert :blush:

The 2600 is possibly extended with its topsleeper by the same cab-builder when I look at the side
window of the sleeper. It was ‘merely’ a job of maintaining the original roof as that follows the
original 2600 roof. By the way…Van Namen also had vessels for their exports

Whoever built them (it would be nice to know for sure), they are superb- the equivalent of Wackenhut and others’ conversions to Mercedes LPs in the 1950s and '60s.

The comparison with Wackenhut flew over my hat…? Wackenhut, Doll, Ackermann etc
were locally in charge and several non-common as Krauss Maffei etc and MB had their own
cabs from around 1954 so again as DAF they outsourced but then did it themselves.

The 2600’s were probably the last cabs manufactured by Paul & van Weelde as that
joint venture was non-existing at the end of the sixties if I am correctly documented.

From a drivers point of view a good lorry, 12 speed relatively short precise throw (think Ford cars of the 60s 70’s) splitter box set up for LHD so in RHD 1st was beside you and 6th furthest away (had exactly the same box set up in an ex Gelders 2800DKTD which went like hell), box was a dream one of the nicest i’ve used every gear was a perfect step from the previous one with a slick engagement.

Handled well too, predictable, i liked them a lot.

Juddian:
From a drivers point of view a good lorry, 12 speed relatively short precise throw (think Ford cars of the 60s 70’s) splitter box set up for LHD so in RHD 1st was beside you and 6th furthest away (had exactly the same box set up in an ex Gelders 2800DKTD which went like hell), box was a dream one of the nicest i’ve used every gear was a perfect step from the previous one with a slick engagement.

That back-to-front in RHD 6-speed box with splitters sounds exactly like the ones I used in Merc 1626 units; except they were not nice to use in the Merc. I can’t remember whether they were syncho or not (not that it made any difference because we drove everything as if they were constant-mesh in those days, and I still do!). They were made by ZF weren’t they? Robert :question:

Here’s one with the body removed, showing that the back wall of the cab was indeed the front bulkhead of the body, like a furniture van:

vv2.JPG

From another angle…and thus popular with fairground-contractors

DAF-FA2600-vanNamen-Fairground.jpg

robert1952:

Juddian:

That back-to-front in RHD 6-speed box with splitters sounds exactly like the ones I used in Merc 1626 units; except they were not nice to use in the Merc. I can’t remember whether they were syncho or not (not that it made any difference because we drove everything as if they were constant-mesh in those days, and I still do!). They were made by ZF weren’t they? Robert :question:

Definately not synchro Robert, and yes i’m almost certain they were a ZF box (ecosplit?)…although Spicer had their own splitter at the time too (or shortly after) which i recall using in Roadtrain, but can’t for the life of me recall if they were 8, 10 or 12 speed.

Funny how a box will suit one lorry perfectly well yet be just so so in another, Eaton Twin Split was IMO in its element in F90 MAN’s, that high revving engine could increase and decrease its revs astonishingly quickly which led to fast changes without using the clutch brake at all.

Juddian:

robert1952:

Juddian:

Definately not synchro Robert, and yes i’m almost certain they were a ZF box (ecosplit?)…although Spicer had their own splitter at the time too (or shortly after) which i recall using in Roadtrain, but can’t for the life of me recall if they were 8, 10 or 12 speed.

Funny how a box will suit one lorry perfectly well yet be just so so in another, Eaton Twin Split was IMO in its element in F90 MAN’s, that high revving engine could increase and decrease its revs astonishingly quickly which led to fast changes without using the clutch brake at all.

Cheers for that Juddian! I always suspected it was constant-mesh. The Eco-split came later (in the Merc 1625) and was a 16-speed Synchro box with either slap-across H-H or 4-over-4 set up depending on the installation. The Eco-split shift was always too stiff and ■■■■■■■■■■ IMO, except in the DAF 95 where it was excellent. The Spicer of that time was a 10-speeder (horrible 'box IMO). I completely agree about the Twin-splitter - it was brill in the Iveco too, but crap in a Strato Mk1. Robert

Here’s a reminder that many 2600s were successful on the Middle-East run! Robert :slight_smile:

42983829.jpg

hey, about ZF boxes in Daf’s all were ZF until the Turbo Jukebox and 2800 came which had a Fuller.
All were unsyncro but syncro was Always an option even in the beginning of the '60’s
The late 2800 DKTD had it as standard and always a 12 speed box.
The only one with a ZF range change 9 speed, same as MB V10 and feld out after a short time not strong enough.
That shows how powerful the V10 was as it came away with that box. :slight_smile:
the same happend in the first Fiat/OM Iveco’s V8 330hp.

Eric,

The following video was uploaded in summer 2018. At about 45 sec, there is a 2600 304 behind the White. An extreme rarity- hopefully, it will be preserved.
youtube.com/watch?v=oF6MP2weEsc