DAF 2600 Restoration Project

Hi All, merry christmas!!

I have been asked to find some info on the DAF 2600, its a bit before my time so I m unsure where to start.

A Friend has seen one at an auction and fancys buying it to restore. Can anyone point me in the right direction with regard to history, spare parts and anything else that may be of use.

Many thanks!!!

I cant help you with anything apart from to say that the 2600 was one of the best motors I ever had the pleasure to drive. :smiley:

Viking:
I cant help you with anything apart from to say that the 2600 was one of the best motors I ever had the pleasure to drive. :smiley:

Me also.It was a long time ago,1972,but it was still a motor ahead of its time.
At that time,DAF were still more of a vehicle assembler than maker,and a lot of the vehicles had bought in parts.The engine was a modified Leyland 680 normally aspirated,rated at 220 bhp,I don’t know if you can still get parts for the Leyland or DAF installation.
The gearbox was a ZF 12 speed,as fitted to Mercs for some years after this.
I’m not sure of the rear axle manufacturer,(Rockwell?)but I’m almost sure it was the same as the one fitted to the Ford Transcon,that truck was also built from bought in parts.
I had an incident when one of my ropes,(as in ropes and sheets,)got caught in the prop shaft and whipped around and tore half the air valves out of the chassis.They turned out to be all standard parts available at our local air brake suppliers and were in stock.
This was over 30 years ago,so parts aren’t going to be as readily available,but the first place to go is obviously your local DAF agent,then to factors or breakers yards.
The only thing the 2600 was missing was a tilt cab.

hi. spares should not be a problem. most of the bus chassis for the daf sb2105 are the same. engine etc. good luck

Currently I am restoring two 2600’s. Ask anything you want. I can supply you with (new) cab panels etc. Please be advised that a 2600 is not similar to a 2100 or a 2800 as stated in this topic. You can contact me through my site interwheels.nl. Cheers Renay

mr marathon that tm on your website which was morrys tintleton from rainham
have you got it because it was quite rare as it had a raba back axle or something it wernt a rockwell and a sleeper like a unity it was in outon scapyard for a long time be niceto see it done

The 2600 was the 1st artic I drove on mainly middle east/commie block work, for a small outfit called Fleetmain International out of Gillingham Kent, Only ever 1 brake down, Clutch slave cylinder seal went in Italy, could not get any spares at all. Even went over Mont Cenis on the way home.

How many of the new breed of drivers could or would bring the motor home by changing gear on revs only, with no clutch pedal at all. When I stopped it had to be on a slope so I could bump start it, but I made it, only time I needed a jump start was when the ferry got into Dover.

It was a cold motor, froze at night, ok on the flat but not to keen on the hills, I remember it always boiled up when in crawler going up Mont Cenis or Fern pass, topped the rad up from the streams.

I have some picckys , will dig them out and post as and when I find them

merry christmas

Pasttrucking, ( old CB handle for those that may remember way back then was)

MOTORMOUSE

I know where there is a complete 2600 sat in a garden where it has been for the last 20+ years. It is a full sleeper version and shares it parking place with an early F12.

Well put Pasttrucking. There ain’t no short cut to experience. Pity you couldn’t bottle it and sell it. Talking about clutches, read my bit on the “Febland Europa”
theme think you’ll find it interesting. 2600 Daf ? A cracking little truck although I didn’t go further than Italy in one it was great to drive.

Hi guy’s, I drove one for a while and the most memorable thing was the top heater outlets on the dash, you could turn them towards the screen to demist or turn inwards to warm yourself, that and the fact that it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding.

The one I drove had 12 hundred x 20 tubed tyres that never seemed to wear out.

Ross,

ps, I’ve also got some pic’s somewhere that I’ll post as soon as I find them.

Someone who can remember all these old 2600 Dafs should also remember the company in Hull who also ran a fleet of them.

I wished I had found these pictures before. I was beginning to imagine it

Jac W Herreveld owned the site where East Yorkshire Glazing started their business in Gipsyville. Herreveld ran flowers and used the first RoRo service from Hull using the Melrose Abbey & Bolton Abbey operated by Associated Humber Lines

remember going with me dad when he was on tibbet and brittain international
at the high road tottenham they had one on demo from penfolds in that raf blue colour also twentmore of barking rooksdale e16 jc e16 renwick greenwhich had them

mrken:
mr marathon that tm on your website which was morrys tintleton from rainham
have you got it because it was quite rare as it had a raba back axle or something it wernt a rockwell and a sleeper like a unity it was in outon scapyard for a long time be niceto see it done

Indeed I found it on a scrapyard. Although the engine was seized I agreed to buy it and pick it up later. Unfortunately I have never heard from the seller again. I don’t know where it’s now.

The Biker:
I know where there is a complete 2600 sat in a garden where it has been for the last 20+ years. It is a full sleeper version and shares it parking place with an early F12.

Do you know it this 2600 is for sale? and in what condition it is in? Pics?