Daf 12speed manual box

Lorry is 2yrs and 3 months old in other words just out of warranty on the last inspection they noticed a small crack on the side of the gearbox just under the level plug next week I am on holiday and the gearbox is coming out for them to weld the crack up which they said is the first thing they are going to try depending how bad it is if this fails we are talking a new case, as you might guess I am well jarred off as the lorry is so new and never raced and the only drivers have been myself and my wife it has always been Daf dealer maintained so two questions I have are
1 has anybody else had any trouble with the 12 speed box or am I just unlucky

2 I have never had any trouble with the 16 speed box in the past have they got a heavier duty case?

I’ve had chemical metal on a aly sump for 12 months it’s never even got moist ,unbelivable .

They used that Saturday as a temporary measure it is weeping a bit they said it’s just to get me through the week as I already had holiday booked and they can have the truck for the week with no rush

Who has been doing the servicing since day one? Is this the same workshop that is reporting the crack? If the two are the same is it a main dealer? Does the crack start in the hole for the level bung? There are some complete animals in the fitting trade who seem to think it’s funny to use all their strength to tighten things like drain and level bungs, knowing some poor sod has got to try and get it undone next time. The ZF box level bung is difficult enough to get undone as it is without these silly games. It is quite possible this crack is the result of someone over-tightening the bung or alternatively someone striking it hard with a hammer to ‘shock’ it free.

It has been serviced at the same Daf main dealer since new and to be fair to them most of the time it has been done by the same bloke who is one of there top men and if he did not do it the fitters they put on it was always the better ones who take a pride

I would be talking to the MD over this with the cost of a box very expensive and I wouldn’t want it welding . If no joy phone DAF head office and kick up over it only being serviced at daf . I have a Volvo and there after warrenty service they would have given a fair amount towards a replacements

Phoned up dealer told them I would be contacting Daf on Monday at tame over box and I would keep them informed . Do not want to fall out with dealer as they have provided a very good service to me over the years.When I dropped truck off Friday night was told they were on to Daf and are on the case so fingers crossed for a good outcome

Hi

I had one of my XF’s with the same problem.

She was registered in Jan 2012 and the servicing DAF dealer rang me up sometime in the first year to tell me the gearbox casing had cracked when the bung was being retightened.

They said they would repair it by welding it, but I told them I wanted it all noted on the trucks service record in case the casing failed later.

It started leaking again about a year later and was welded again.

I part exchanged the truck in March this year back to the supplying dealer who sold it on very quickly - the buyer found the welding and insisted in a new box/casing.

I know this was done and I’m pretty sure the dealer got DAF to pay - also can remember that one of their fitters told me there was a batch of weak casings.

However, I have 10 other 12 speed manuals and haven’t had any problems.

I’m sure DAF will sort it.

Thank you very much knowall is nice to know I am not the only one

Had dealer on phone yesterday said they decided not to take box out as after closer inspection it appears the crack is only small and at the very end.so they have sealed it recut thread put in a fitting locktighted this in then a new bung in this fitting the dealer has full confidence in this repair at no cost to me. I know it’s not a new casing but the dealer has never let me down in the past so I will go with his judgement and of course if it does go it will be going straight back

This sounds from your description like they have fitted a helicoil - a stainless steel wire threaded insert - and then renewed the bung. This may last as long as you keep the vehicle; on the other hand it may not.
This is fine for a stripped female thread in the 'box, but sounds like a cheap get out of jail effort to overcome a crack starting in the threaded hole.

I think it is time to write in the strongest possible terms to DAF GB making it absolutely clear that you expect a full parts and labour warranty on this gearbox, to cover the entire period that this vehicle is in your possession. Demand confirmation of DAF’s acceptance of this condition in writing.