DAB radio

Hi has anyone tried using a normal battery powered DAB radio in there truck and was it any good? I loose my normal fm radio signal up around shap

Woodpecker1:
Hi has anyone tried using a normal battery powered DAB radio in there truck and was it any good? I loose my normal fm radio signal up around shap

Mine is a mains/battery one which I plug in my inverter, it only works where it works, when it does it’s fine.
Shap Tebay, parts of M74 remote parts in Cornwall Devon…no chance.

I’ve got a Dab fitted radio ,I loose fm signal South of Tebay ,the dab signal for radio 2 is one of the best though ,other stations like absolute 80s ect suffer quite bad on dab ,as for having a hand held type radio I wouldn’t know .

Maybe the BBC will actually invest in better coverage of FM broadcasts soon. Only been around since 1955 after all.

Between those hills south of Shap I think is a dead zone for any signal!
Whether I’m in my truck or my car, I lose reception for about two miles.

Is there any MW or LW signal there? May not be perfect reproduction but at least it works over more than 100 yards.

Franglais:
Is there any MW or LW signal there? May not be perfect reproduction but at least it works over more than 100 yards.

I tend to lose Talksport or 5 live in that area also, so I reckon not.

Woodpecker1:

I would suspect if you can’t get a good FM signal with an external aerial on the roof of your cab, then I wouldn’t fancy your chances with a DAB signal from a hand held radio in the cab. I have always found that when the DAB signal dies I can always revert back to FM and get something.

I have a pure highway external dab clagged on the windscreen plugged into the 24v and a little magmount up on the roof I get good signal all over the country on radiox absolute talk sport etc my setup cost about £50 I only really loose signal in a hand full of places shap being one of them m62 Huddersfield for about half a mile the a9 in deepest darkest Scotland m18 just by the stockyard for about half a mile and the m74 beatock to abbingdon

bestbooties:

Apart from Classic FM. You can always get Classic friggin FM. :smiling_imp:

I have something very similar to this

I plug it into the aux in socket of the radio. Not perfect but lasts a whole shift on re-chargeable batteries.

This is mine, about 25quid from Tesco (Chris on here put me on to it) got it to listen to Radio X Chris Moyles to get a break from that ginger ■■■■ :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Mains plug into inverter, and pin plug in my dash to play through truck speakers. Works great apart from places mentioned.

the maoster:

bestbooties:

Apart from Classic FM. You can always get Classic friggin FM. :smiling_imp:

I’ll bet you can get Classic on the moon. :open_mouth: I listen to Radio 1 because it’s catchy uplifting music and you can find it in most places. Never drops out along my regular route so that’s nice. I’d take CD’s with me but I’m too lazy to burn any :blush: And I think my old man has still got my copy of Blackwater Park, git.

GavMc P11GT:
I have a pure highway external dab clagged on the windscreen plugged into the 24v and a little magmount up on the roof I get good signal all over the country on radiox absolute talk sport etc my setup cost about £50 I only really loose signal in a hand full of places shap being one of them m62 Huddersfield for about half a mile the a9 in deepest darkest Scotland m18 just by the stockyard for about half a mile and the m74 beatock to abbingdon

Seconded, I’ve used one of these for some years now and I have one in my car too. Can’t do without Planet Rock! Funnily enough yes I also lose it in the Hudds area on the 62.

I use this. Roberts aren’t cheap but with its rubber outer it’s robust and has good signal. Uses AA batteries and if you put rechargable ones in there you can plug radio in and it’ll charge them up. Bonus is if they go flat on road and there’s a must listen on you can pop so AAs from shop in

Roberts Radio Play DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built In Battery Charger - Black amazon.co.uk/dp/B008R6G9OA/ … axb7S4APBT