D4Drivers medical review

Having already done the eyesight test at Spec Savers (free test, £10 for the form filling and a pair of 20/20 specs at £26), the only thing left was the medical. At £130 GP prices (excluding eye test), it’s no wonder someone stepped in to fill the niche in that particular rip-off!

D4Drivers does what it says on the tin – a cheap, cheerful, no fuss medical for £50, including an eye test and an optional urine sample test for diabetes. Everyone gets an appointment time, so not much waiting and the same price for w/ends. The medical was held in a small conference suite room in a hotel, so comfortable surroundings. Enter and a blood pressure test followed by question, answer, tick box and continue all the way through the form. Ten minutes and you’ve finished. I’m 65 next year so its annual check-ups and I’ll definitely use them again.

The only future problem I can see is that the medical profession lobby the government to end this service as the GPs are obviously losing out on their high priced racket.

I think your choice of font size is telling. 20/20 glasses? :laughing: :laughing: More like 10/20.

D4Drivers sponsor this forum and your post is a good recommendation for them …not much of a recommendation for Specsavers though :laughing:

Playing around with the font sizes. :slight_smile:

After a long period away from HGV driving and at my age, deep down I don’t expect the DVLA to be satisfied with an ordinary eye test, which I pass on a car but fail on HGV. Spec Savers for eyes, D4Drivers for the medical and for those with 6/6, skip Spec Savers.

Speak up, I’m hard of reading!

Is the urine test optional for the medical? Always assumed that was a required test for one of the more likely issues.

I assume they do medicals in a certain area each day then move to the next?

I didn’t realise Specsavers is so big. I us them out here as well.

trevHCS:

More likely they have GP’s from various areas on their books and take a booking and handling percentage of the fee.

Yes, the diabetes test is optional. When you initially book, you’re told when the next appointment is in your particular area and so I waited about a week for my slot and unless you live in a large town or city you’re also going to have to travel to the nearest sizeable location. The doctor I saw was probably in his mid-twenties, so just qualified. Just starting out and trying to earn a bit extra in his spare time I suppose.

If you’re sure your uncorrected eyesight is 6/6 (20/20), you’re going to save around £80 using D4Drivers rather than a GP. I used a combination for my particular circumstances, which including travel totaled £99.20 as opposed to a GP (most GPs won’t do the eyesight test) and optician which would have cost £166.
The bottom line is this: We’re all trying to pass a required eyesight and medical. If we can save money when doing it, what’s not to like?

peterm:
I didn’t realise Specsavers is so big. I us them out here as well.

Specsavers have 750 stores in the UK, in the UK I doubt that there’s a man woman or child over the age of 6 who hasn’t used the phrase “Should have gone to Specsavers:smiley:

This is a prime example of why I never take internet recommendations seriously.

Given that D4Drivers sponsor the forum, I’m assuming the mods probably wouldn’t be too happy about some objective criticism. Because of that I’m not going to go into detail, but I used D4D once and my experience was far less positive than the OP. I was left with a messy situation which my GP sorted out as fast as he could, and without charge.

Zac_A:
This is a prime example of why I never take internet recommendations seriously.

Given that D4Drivers sponsor the forum, I’m assuming the mods probably wouldn’t be too happy about some objective criticism. Because of that I’m not going to go into detail, but I used D4D once and my experience was far less positive than the OP. I was left with a messy situation which my GP sorted out as fast as he could, and without charge.

Your GP did a drivers medical for free then ? Why not go there first ?

My last drivers medical was done by a doctor who also used (and may still be ) a GP. (Peachyhealth in MK)

I’ve used D4Drivers for my medical, (my last one iirc), and it was what you call “quick and painless”.
Ive used these “here today gone tomorrow” (on account of their on-line booking and using short term rented locations) twice, one was in a hotel, the other (doctors on wheels) in a converted (ex ambulance?) van on the Avonmouth industrial estate… :grimacing:.

Cheaper than the GP and the first one (doctors on wheels) went above what you expect for yout £50, when the DVLA ■■■■■■ up my renewal and lost the D4 form. Doctor on wheels sent me a properly signed copy of the original D4.

the nodding donkey:
I’ve used D4Drivers for my medical, (my last one iirc), and it was what you call “quick and painless”.
Ive used these “here today gone tomorrow” (on account of their on-line booking and using short term rented locations) twice, one was in a hotel, the other (doctors on wheels) in a converted (ex ambulance?) van on the Avonmouth industrial estate… :grimacing:.

Cheaper than the GP and the first one (doctors on wheels) went above what you expect for yout £50, when the DVLA [zb] up my renewal and lost the D4 form. Doctor on wheels sent me a properly signed copy of the original D4.

Just out of interest, when you sent the D4, did you post it recorded/special, or just normal letter post ?

Dav1d:

the nodding donkey:

Cheaper than the GP and the first one (doctors on wheels) went above what you expect for yout £50, when the DVLA [zb] up my renewal and lost the D4 form. Doctor on wheels sent me a properly signed copy of the original D4.

Just out of interest, when you sent the D4, did you post it recorded/special, or just normal letter post ?

Yes, they received it (i sent eberything to the DVLA recorded) and said that they sent it back via second class post because i didnt return my driving licence with the application (this has since changed, as you no longer have to include your driving licence with the application). Needless to say it never arrived in the post, leaving me potentially to have to take another medical. However, luckily when i explained it to Docs on wheels, they managed to get the doctor who did my medical to wtite a cppy, and sign it, and sent that ti me at no extra costs .

I’m completely neutral on all this. My main concern was to save money and get myself passed. If someone is going to do my medical for £50 as opposed to £130, it just sort of makes sense to save money and goes to show what a rip off a private GP medical is. If a GP did four medicals they’d be on £520ph! What are they, brain surgeons? :confused:

If I had problems with my health of course I’d go to see a GP, but that’s not what the D4 form is for. Thankfully, we now all have a choice. :slight_smile:

Grandpa:
Having already done the eyesight test at Spec Savers (free test, £10 for the form filling and a pair of 20/20 specs at £26), the only thing left was the medical. At £130 GP prices (excluding eye test), it’s no wonder someone stepped in to fill the niche in that particular rip-off!

D4Drivers does what it says on the tin – a cheap, cheerful, no fuss medical for £50, including an eye test and an optional urine sample test for diabetes. Everyone gets an appointment time, so not much waiting and the same price for w/ends. The medical was held in a small conference suite room in a hotel, so comfortable surroundings. Enter and a blood pressure test followed by question, answer, tick box and continue all the way through the form. Ten minutes and you’ve finished. I’m 65 next year so its annual check-ups and I’ll definitely use them again.

The only future problem I can see is that the medical profession lobby the government to end this service as the GPs are obviously losing out on their high priced racket.

Hi Grandpa,
Thanks for leaving a review of our service following your driver medical. We look forward to seeing you again in future!
Ryan.
D4Drivers.

trevHCS:
Speak up, I’m hard of reading!

Is the urine test optional for the medical? Always assumed that was a required test for one of the more likely issues.

The urine test used to be required on the D4 form however it was removed as a requirement on the medical form a few years ago. We still offer the diabetes screening as a complementary extra service free of charge.

The majority of Doctors who complete medicals for us only work in locations local to them, so there is very little travelling around although some Doctors will choose to cross cover sessions where needed.

D4Drivers.

Going to a strange doctor to save money, doesn’t save time…for on the D4 it does ask who your regular doctor is, then the DVLA write to your doctor for an update on medical conditions…and lets face it, a not so regular doctor is only going to receive answers from a drivers point of view as to his medical condition… I know because I received my new licence on Monday…yet today received a letter from DVLA saying my medical notes confirm I am fit to drive…although I never renewed my HGV entitlements just my car licence…so be warned if you want to cheat a doctor that isn’t your regular one. this took over a month to arrive, whereas it normally takes over 3 months with my HGV licence due to treadmill/heart stress test etc.

Dav1d:
Your GP did a drivers medical for free then ? Why not go there first ?

Not quite right: D4Drivers left me with a mess on my hands after a completely substandard medical which made it seem as if I was about to pop my clogs, needless to say the DVLA had some concerns about this :unamused: My GP got on board to sort this mess out to satisfy the DVLA requirements. His services were free to rectify the problem, not to give a drivers medical, which I do imagine he would have charged for.

I’ve since discovered another doctor (in the Tyneside area) who does a driver medical for £45 (anyone who’s interested PM me for a point in his direction)