D4 renewal

Hi, I’m turning 45 soon so went for a medical, sent off the D4 form to the DVLA. They sent it back with a D2 form and told me to fill it in and send it back.

Does anyone know which sections I need to fill in and do I need to send a new photo and identification with it.
I’m no good with form and really not sure which parts are the right ones to fill in
Thanks

Odd as I never have sent a D2 with a D4 renewal :exclamation:

ROG:
Odd as I never have sent a D2 with a D4 renewal :exclamation:

I agree, I have a D47P on the desk waiting to be completed.

There is also an INF5D booklet to advise on filling in this form.

My pack came automatically a little over 6 weeks ahead of my vocational classes licence expiry.

Though that said this page :

gov.uk/renew-lorry-bus-coach-licence

suggests you can use a D2 instead.

Just as an aside, posted my renewal application off on 20/4 and new licence arrived 28/4 so the waiting time isn’t as bad as I thought.

Heads up based on personal experience.

Recently renewed my licence, did the medical at a local training centre on boss’s recommendation. Didn’t realise that on this occasion I needed a new photo as well, so didn’t include one and a week later all the paperwork came back to me with a note saying I had to get a new photo and re-send; you could almost feel the exasperated sigh of the civil servant as I opened the envelope.

So I would suggest it’s perhaps not a bad move to include a passport photo if unsure.

Licence was back with me within a week of re-sending, so I would agree that DVLA finally seem to have got their act together on this issue.

I find the best way to deal with the form is to first cross out all those sections that you don’t need to fill in (just put a big X over each section that the notes suggest are not relevant to your application).
Most times this will include the very first section which is for your name & address; which is only required to be completed if they are different from that printed in the box above that section (unlikely).
Once you have crossed out all the ‘not required’ sections the form will look a lot less daunting.

‘No fee required, new photo required’ (I paraphrase) was printed in the top right area of the most recent form I helped somebody complete; which shows an attempt to summarise what is relevant to the particular recipient of the form.

DVLA do not have my sympathy as I’m sure they don’t suffer from exasperation as much as we do in trying to complete their over complicated forms.
They should be feeding back to those above the mistakes that are being made to help simplify future forms.
However they still provide forms that have attached completion notes that reference other leaflets with more completion notes; a recipe for confusion.

ScaniaUltimate:
I find the best way to deal with the form is to first cross out all those sections that you don’t need to fill in

That is a smart move, as I had got half into writing my address in when there was no need.

As it’s on topic, does posting recorded / signed for /special delivery make much difference?

I opted for signed for so I can at least keep an eye on the tracking number.

njl:

ScaniaUltimate:
I find the best way to deal with the form is to first cross out all those sections that you don’t need to fill in

That is a smart move, as I had got half into writing my address in when there was no need.

As it’s on topic, does posting recorded / signed for /special delivery make much difference?

I opted for signed for so I can at least keep an eye on the tracking number.

It’s a tough question to answer.
I never do anything other than standard postage & have had no failures to date; I do scan everything before posting though.
If my completed medical form got lost in the post would a copy be accepted? Doubtful, but I would try.
If recorded/special delivery post goes missing will they reimburse the cost of a repeat medical? Only if if you paid the extra for ‘consequential loss’ (see below).

I guess if you are tight of time & worried about not receiving your licence before the current one expires it may be worth the fees, but they are high & I’m sure the claim would be frustrating.
If it is only for a photo renewal or similar I don’t think the fees are justified for what should only amount to filling in another form & using one of those extra passport photo’s.
I never include my licence with a renewal - I always need it for training :wink: & I’ve never sent it in after receiving my new licence.

"Consequential loss cover
Sometimes the damage, delay or loss of an item can lead to greater loss than the actual value of the item itself. For such items you can buy our consequential loss cover of up to £10,000. This cover could be a wise choice for important legal documents or tax returns that may result in penalties if lost or not delivered on time. Just ask for consequential loss when you send your item by Special Delivery Guaranteed™. Make your claims through our Customer Services within 14 days of posting. You will need to provide the receipt for purchase as well as proof of the value of the indirect loss in order to make a claim."
Source:
royalmail.com/sending/uk/sp … anteed-1pm

ScaniaUltimate:
I never do anything other than standard postage & have had no failures to date; I do scan everything before posting though.

More great advice. I seem to recall there was a phase where quite a few people found that their full motorcycle entitlement disappeared after renewing or replacing the photocard.

njl:

ScaniaUltimate:

More great advice. I seem to recall there was a phase where quite a few people found that their full motorcycle entitlement disappeared after renewing or replacing the photocard.

That is good advice too - to make sure drivers check their new licence once received. Don’t assume everything will have been done correctly.
It was not just motorcycle entitlement that was left off, HGV entitlement occasionally was too.
I say was, as it was at its worst when they were digitising old paper records. I would like to think it does not happen as much now, but I always check having been involved back then in some drawn out cases to help others get their entitlement back.

Toms2820:
Hi, I’m turning 45 soon so went for a medical, sent off the D4 form to the DVLA. They sent it back with a D2 form and told me to fill it in and send it back.

Does anyone know which sections I need to fill in and do I need to send a new photo and identification with it.
I’m no good with form and really not sure which parts are the right ones to fill in
Thanks

Hve you got it back yet?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Toms2820,

Hoping you haven’t had a medical done for no reason, but the medical isn’t necessarily due at 45, it is the next time your 5 year licence expires after reaching 45.

The DVLA may be confused why a D4 has been received and may think it is because you want to drive a coach / bus or something like that.

Whether you can get a new 5 year licence when the old one isn’t due to expire yet, I’m not quite sure.