D4 Medical Eyesight

Hey guys

I had my medical booked for last weekend but had to cancel it because I was worried about the eyesight test (luckily I cancelled more than 3 days before so got a refund - D4 Drivers seem like a decent company)

anyway, my concern was that although I can comfortably read close to the bottom of a snellen chart with both eyes open, I realized that if I cover my right eye everything is blurry at a distance which I never noticed before!

so off I went to the optician who has prescribed glasses which will arrive towards the end of the week. It seems I am longsighted in one eye and slightly short sighted in the other. The optician seemed to think that I might actually get away with passing the medical anyway as I can sort of make out the biggest letter on the chart out of the left eye and get pretty much to the bottom on the chart with the right but I wouldn’t want to take that risk.

I am planning on rebooking the medical soon. Strangely the optician said you probably wont need them for driving as your overall eyesight is good! - I assume I’m okay to use my new glasses in the medical but If I do does that mean I am only allowed to drive with them going forward?

DVLA will put 01 code next to all categories where you need to wear glasses etc for driving

Yes I think it’s an 01 code on your license. Which means you must wear your glasses for driving. I don’t know if they will apply that to your car category as well? I presume they will?
I am the same as you with -0.25 and -1 prescription so one eye can read the bottom or second bottom line. I was told you just need the very first letter with the other eye ( just remember it! [emoji1787])
So I passed the medical without my glasses but I always wear them anyway.

stu675:
Yes I think it’s an 01 code on your license. Which means you must wear your glasses for driving. I don’t know if they will apply that to your car category as well? I presume they will?
I am the same as you with -0.25 and -1 prescription so one eye can read the bottom or second bottom line. I was told you just need the very first letter with the other eye ( just remember it! [emoji1787])
So I passed the medical without my glasses but I always wear them anyway.

I am -1.75 in one eye and +0.5 in the other… I was thinking just remember the first letter too :stuck_out_tongue:

I might just go with that and whip out the glasses if necessary. Are the doctors generally OK with that?

I was wondering if an 01 code would apply for a car category as well as the requirements for that are far less stringent but once you are down as wearing glasses I fear they may just apply it to all?

For my medical I arrived with my contact lenses in.

When I told the examiner I was already wearing them, I had to remove them to give a reading for uncorrected vision and then put them back in so he got a corrected vision rating.

My license came back with 01 on every category.

chris2105gb:

When I told the examiner I was already wearing them, I had to remove them to give a reading for uncorrected vision and then put them back in so he got a corrected vision rating.

Could you read the first line in the weaker eye without the lenses?

nick12399:
I might just go with that and whip out the glasses if necessary. Are the doctors generally OK with that?

Yes I was encouraged to see if I could pass without first, and put them on if I needed them.

I did my test on a chart, coincidentally with D4, and unexpectedly failed reading it completely! Stuck my glasses on and read it perfectly, but now have an 01 restriction and need glasses for all driving now.

I have just done my eyes and got my medical at the end of the month and the optician filled the paperwork out and stamped it

nick12399:

chris2105gb:

As I’d already looked at the chart with my contacts in I kinda gotta a bit of a clue so I was OK anyway, but my uncorrected left eye was measured right at the bottom end of the scale as that was the only line he asked me to read.
It did all make me question what the point was of testing uncorrected vision, but then I reasoned that some people must turn up for a medical having no idea that their eyesight is as bad as it is until they’re put in a situation where they need to use each eye individually.

chris2105gb:

nick12399:

chris2105gb:

As I’d already looked at the chart with my contacts in I kinda gotta a bit of a clue so I was OK anyway, but my uncorrected left eye was measured right at the bottom end of the scale as that was the only line he asked me to read.
It did all make me question what the point was of testing uncorrected vision, but then I reasoned that some people must turn up for a medical having no idea that their eyesight is as bad as it is until they’re put in a situation where they need to use each eye individually.

and the license came back with 01 codes even though you could ‘read’ the biggest letter with the uncorrected eye?

nick12399:
and the license came back with 01 codes even though you could ‘read’ the biggest letter with the uncorrected eye?

Easier to put the actual document then to try to explain - it shows the requirements and my own results.