D4 at 45

Evening all, just wondering if anyone knows what I need to do next, I have my provisional for c c+e but haven’t yet started training but I’ve turned 45 which means I had to take a new medical wixh I had today, but I now don’t understand what I need to send to DVLA, any help is much appreciated

Leeroylit:
Evening all, just wondering if anyone knows what I need to do next, I have my provisional for c c+e but haven’t yet started training but I’ve turned 45 which means I had to take a new medical wixh I had today, but I now don’t understand what I need to send to DVLA, any help is much appreciated

Did your original D4 expire after 4 months :question:

ROG:

Leeroylit:

Did your original D4 expire after 4 months :question:

My first medical was about 2 years ago, but because I turned 45 then I obviously needed to have another medical d4, but I’m not sure what I send to DVLA, is it just the d4 form or is it my license, and then I read somewhere that you need a d47p

No, you don’t need a medical until your licence expires, at which point DVLA will send you the application form and D4.

Your full licence categories and expiry dates are shown on the licence, but you’ll have to go online to check the expiry dates for your provisional categories.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thought you had to have a medical at 45 according to dvla just had mine but my licence doesn’t run out for another year when I will be 48

Butchl1:
Thought you had to have a medical at 45 according to dvla just had mine but my licence doesn’t run out for another year when I will be 48

At least age 45 but it all goes on the C expiry date on the licence

Butchl1:

45 is the general rule. But I think there’s some leeway with that. If you’ve recently had an HGV medical, they’ll count 5 years from that date, even if your 45th birthday falls in the middle of the 5 years. And 5 year medicals will continue on from that date onwards, until you reach 65 when they become annually.
I’m not absolutely certain on this though. However, DVLA send you the medical forms a couple of months before the due date.

If you haven’t received the forms, you can always phone and ask them if they’re going to.
It’s possible that you haven’t received them because you don’t yet have a full C licence, and are therefore in the system as a car driver.
Once you pass your test, they’ll put your new details into their computer, which will then flag up that you’re a class C and haven’t done your 45 year medical.

If you’ve got the medical forms and done the medical, you send back the filled in medical forms. Nothing else. That’s all there is to it.
It’s a system designed for truck drivers. Truck drivers are thick as pig [zb], so the system is kept simple.
They send you forms, you get them filled in and signed off, then send them back. Simple.
If there were 2 separate forms, get them both filled in and signed, then send them both back.

Butchl1:

No. If you are under the age of 45 when your licence comes up for renewal (or to be pedantic, if your licence expires more than 56 days before your 45th birthday), no medical examination or D4 form is required.

If you are over 45 when it expires (again, pedantically if your licence expires later than 56 days before your 45th birthday) then a medical examination and D4 form are required.

You don’t need to get a medical examinations or D4 form completed just because you reach 45 years of age. You only need this examination/form when you renew your licence.

For example, if your HGV licence expires when you are 42 years old you simply complete the renewal form (which includes a medical declaration) and send it off. Your new licence will then expire when you are 47 years old and at that point you will need to get a medical examination and get the doctor to complete the D4. You don’t need to do anything when you reach 45 years of age.

Roymondo:

Butchl1:

No. If you are under the age of 45 when your licence comes up for renewal (or to be pedantic, if your licence expires more than 56 days before your 45th birthday), no medical examination or D4 form is required.

If you are over 45 when it expires (again, pedantically if your licence expires later than 56 days before your 45th birthday) then a medical examination and D4 form are required.

You don’t need to get a medical examinations or D4 form completed just because you reach 45 years of age. You only need this examination/form when you renew your licence.

For example, if your HGV licence expires when you are 42 years old you simply complete the renewal form (which includes a medical declaration) and send it off. Your new licence will then expire when you are 47 years old and at that point you will need to get a medical examination and get the doctor to complete the D4. You don’t need to do anything when you reach 45 years of age.

Ah! So that’s the way it works. I’d kind of forgotten this. I’m old, It’s almost 20 years since my 45th birthday, and that was when my licence ran out. Since been renewed every 5 years.
Having a stroke last year has thrown a spanner into the works. My hgv entitlement was rescinded then. I’ll get a new licence with hgv entitlement, very soon, once DVLA get a roundtuit. It’ll only have 2 and a bit years of hgv on it, because that’s how long until my 65th birthday, at which point the medicals become annual.
I’m tempted to send a roundtuit to the medical section of DVLA, but I don’t think they’d see the humour intended and put my file back to the bottom of the heap.

It should be pointed out that, in most cases, your HGV licence will run out on your 45th birthday, because you passed your HGV test long before then.

P.S. I am aware that DVLA consider HGV licences as a privilege, not an entitlement :slight_smile:

I don’t get this my licence doesn’t run out till next year when I will be nearly 48 but they say you need a medical at 45 then every 5 years

Butchl1:
I don’t get this my licence doesn’t run out till next year when I will be nearly 48 but they say you need a medical at 45 then every 5 years

Who says?

Did the DVLA send you the medical form, which had to be completed by a doctor, in time for your 45th birthday? There’s an eyesight part which should be completed by an optician as well, by the way. If not, you must have had some sort of medical examination around 43 years old, which has satisfied the DVLA that you would be medically fit for the next 5 years.
As we’ve already explained how that works, I’m not going to explain it again. Don’t try to second guess the DVLA, it will only end in your tears.
If your licence says your hgv entitlement runs till your 48th birthday, then that is when it runs to. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Butchl1:

Nope I renewed my photo card earlier this year. Was supposed to renew medical as I turn 45 this year. But now my renewal date is 2027 without doing my medical when I will be 49 as I don’t turn 50 til October of that year.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:

Butchl1:

Nope I renewed my photo card earlier this year. Was supposed to renew medical as I turn 45 this year. But now my renewal date is 2027 without doing my medical when I will be 49 as I don’t turn 50 til October of that year.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

This is quite common and has something to do with the DVLA IT system