D1 licence with code 101 restriction

Hi all, first time here in ages as I’ve been out the HGV game for a few years, but got a question…
Why does my D1 licence show a code 101 restriction?

Now, I’m aware that it means I can drive but NOT for (Profit) ‘Hire and Reward’ but I sat and passed the PSV
back in the late 80’s and admittedly I’ve only used it a couple of times since, but why have they restricted
me.

Not that I’m planning to use it anytime soon, but it seems they have snatched my PSV entitlement away at
some point and I knew nothing about it!

Has anyone got an answer, and does it have anything to do with the CPC… my HGV CPC is valid until 2021
but I’ve never sat a CPC for the PSV… If I passed a CPC for buses would DVLA remove the 101 code from my licence?

Update: I may have found an answer to my own question… on looking at the licence codes on DVLA website I noticed
that my D1 entitlement is still there but with the 101 restriction, but the DE entitlement is UNRESTRICTED.

So, am I correct in thinking that, oddly, I’m NOT allowed to drive a little minibus for reward, but I can drive a full
sized bus or coach and be paid? I’ve heard of something called a MIDAS qualification that teachers and others need
to have to drive schoolkids around… so, could it be that I’m restricted from driving minibuses for profit unless I pass
a MIDAS course?

I have 101 code on my licence, because I wear glasses.

Sapper

sapper:

Sapper

That would be an 01 not 101 code

Lennoxtown - you have 2 D1s on your licence
Pre 97 D1 with 101 code
D1 without 101 hidden behind your D

Bear in mind that if you’re over 45 and needing 5-yearly medicals for your HGV then unless you get the medical marked as being for for both HGV and PSV you can lose your D entitlement. Given that there’s no difference between the two medicals, it’s a bit of a daft system.

I’ve seen licences from people who are currently legally driving PSVs where their D1 still says 101, according to DVLA the D entitlement “trumps” the 101 next to the D1 entitlement :unamused:

EDIT: want to see something really weird on your licence? (also on your Driver card and DQC as well)
Have a look at both the front and back of it under UV light, there are hidden security features that light up.

ROG:
Lennoxtown - you have 2 D1s on your licence
Pre 97 D1 with 101 code
D1 without 101 hidden behind your D

Thanks Rog. I’ve not noticed that before. Talk about confusing! So, what does it all mean then? Can I drive ANY size PSV regardless
of passenger or seat numbers with ANY trailer weight for ‘Hire & Reward’?, bearing in mind I’ve got the full DE category anyway, which I’ve held since the 80’s

Does this MIDAS qualification or the fact that I’ve never done a CPC for buses have anything to do with the 101 restriction?

I’ve held full HGV 1 and PSV since the late 80’s… I drive neither now but continue to renew them just in case, but
this whole minibus & restriction thing baffles me and why is there 2 D1’s categories on my licence contradicting each other? :slight_smile:

The Midas qualification is operated by local councils and has nothing to do with the DVLA. Often teachers pass the MIDAS test to enable them to take children out for team sports without having a mini bus qualification. Your C+E and D passes trump the D1 so you can forget about that. Your DCPC covers bus and truck ,so just keep your medical up to date and you can drive any thing.

Your D1 hidden behind your D and D1E hidden behind your DE trumps the pre 97 DE+D1E with the 101 codes

Whilst your D/DE is current you ignore the D1+D1E 101s

ROG:

sapper:

Sapper

That would be an 01 not 101 code

That’s why he’s got glasses. :slight_smile: