d

yorkie*queen:
thats great allikat. thanks. yes,its a bit bigger than your average 7.5 tonner. im not sure how our transport department got away with it to be honest because one of our girls has just had to pass her class two to drive it? its a bit big for a 7.5 i must say and ive driven a class 2 before. theres not much difference really?

the gear box is a **** to change, you need to double it half the time to get anywhere! :angry: or is that just the service being mean and not wanting to pay for another box?

if you look in my profile you’ll see a link to my jewellery website. thanks.

Because it costs about the same to do class 2 as it costs to take a 7.5t licence. May as well take the class 2.
Daf with worn boxes, hrm… never had a trouble with them myself… Ivecos are far worse.

Probably the synchros on the gears are worn out…which produces the same result on any gearbox. It’s quite common on rigids of any size where they do so much town work, something which I’m guessing is as much a hazard for bloodmobiles as it is for little rigids like that Iveco you had briefly, Alli…add to that the fact that the gearboxes on both truck marques are made by the same German manufacturer ( ZF ) - the only difference being that one has a switch for a range-change whilst the other has the “slap-over” arrangement - and I doubt that anything other than age would make much difference. :wink:

The other problem with worn synchros is that they tend to become a self-perpetuating thing…the worse they get, the more you end up doubling the clutch, so the worse they get again. It may well have been someone doubling the clutch unnecessarily in the first place which killed them! :confused:
Synchro-boxes have a complicated and fairly delicate system of cones which allow the gears to engage smoothly, and are simply not designed to take the beating that “forcing” them in the old-fashioned way dishes up. This is partiularly true of smaller engined, high-revving trucks - a big 380-engined artic will take far more abuse than a 180-engined rigid…simply because everything’s bigger and stronger.
Something to try which might help, Yorkie…I’m assuming from the fact that you know how to double-declutch that you know all about revving on the way down and letting the revs drop on the way up. Try doing a halfway house, where you do the same thing but with the clutch pedal depressed just the once and held down whilst you sort the revs out. Sounds daft, I know, but someone advised me to do the same once when I was still driving rigids (again of the over-towned variety) and it made a huge difference - as well as helping to preserve what was left of those pesky cones until the tight [zb]s see the light and get it fixed. Just an idea which may or may not help… :bulb:
Also, resist the temptation to “bunny-hop” it into gear - synchro-mesh suicide if ever there was! :wink:

Oh, and welcome to TruckNet UK! :grimacing:

I didn’t realise it was only a 7.5t until I read on!

What a beast!

Looks like I might be getting an LF soon myself (not sure what it’ll be plated at they have 7.5t, 13t and 18t), probably be driving them all.

d

Aha!
A real nurse.In a,ahem!,nurses uniform :wink:
Now we’re getting somewhere!
Ooh! I feel quite faint! :smiley:

d

d