D CPC - is it valid in Europe?

A question for the boffins and legal experts, in the know on this subject, about the validity of this , so-called, qualification.

( so Baptiste and Toby please desist from commenting :laughing: :grimacing: )

What I want to know is that if a driver in the UK gets his DCPC, then wants to move across the waters to live and work for a company in, lets say, France, will it be valid ?
Here in France they already have their own qualification, that has been in force since the late 90’s , known as the F.I.M.O, renewable every 5 years. So to work for a company here (i.e. ND or Laurent Pellier), you wont get a job driving their trucks unless you’ve got it.
I think Spain also have their own qualification,( I’m sure someone like Welshboy, will be able to confirm this.)

On the reverse side of this, let’s suppose a French driver moves to England to live and work as a driver, he will obviously already have his F.I.M.O., so will he have to get the UK equivalent before 2014, or will his qualification be valid, enabling him to drive in the UK, up to and after 2014 ?

As an after-thought to this, are there any other countries in Europe that have their own driver CPC’s ? If so what is their validity in other European countries ?

I cannot answer your question for definite, but may give some input for others to argue.

I do not imagine France are going to just roll over and let someone with a few hours sat in a classroom take over to replace a French driver with FIMO or FCOS. Merde!

I believe Holland already has a Driver Diploma and in Belgium the DQC involves an examination. It is for that reason I do not believe the UK DCPC is worth the card it is printed on.

I also think if your name is Stanislav Lavistanski, your CPC card will be sat waiting in an envelope in Calais

The same they have in Cyprus too called Epagelmatiki Adeia - mine already expired renewal every 5 years.

Can’t answer your question, but it does look unlikely, but you would of thought that it would of been a unified roll out across Euroland, the driving license is valid in member states,and so should the dcpc
Not each country having a different name and take on it after all it was Brussels who thought up this bs , that is no more than a revenue generator

tommy t:
Can’t answer your question, but it does look unlikely, but you would of thought that it would of been a unified roll out across Euroland, the driving license is valid in member states,and so should the dcpc
Not each country having a different name and take on it after all it was Brussels who thought up this bs , that is no more than a revenue generator

It is a revenue generator in the UK certainly, there are at least two companies making obscene amounts for teaching common sense. Companies in Europe I have worked for have their own training school and they get their training for free.

AFAIK the driver CPC is valid Europe-wide (but I’m no legal boffin or expert!). I work in France with my UK issued Driver Qualification Card and we also have an Italian guy at our depot who uses his Italian DQC. Both of these look identical to the local ‘Carte de Qualification Chauffeur’ apart from the language and issuing body/country details.

Craig 111:
AFAIK the driver CPC is valid Europe-wide (but I’m no legal boffin or expert!). I work in France with my UK issued Driver Qualification Card and we also have an Italian guy at our depot who uses his Italian DQC. Both of these look identical to the local ‘Carte de Qualification Chauffeur’ apart from the language and issuing body/country details.

But is it a French company you work for Craig ?

IIRC in the past Norbert got round using English drivers without the FIMO, as long as they were actually resident in England.

as stated on a reply to another topic,There is a campaign being organised by another truck internet forum to have the DCPC scrapped in its current form and replaced with a better system. I believe they have asked the admin on here to post a link to the campaign page, so I won’t put it on here, but anyone interested can PM me for more details. Lets get this appalling legislation binned.

truckerjon:
I believe they have asked the admin on here to post a link to the campaign page, so I won’t put it on here, but anyone interested can PM me for more details. Lets get this appalling legislation binned.

Thank you for your courtesy in not posting the link without asking. Despite what has been said elsewhere I have not been approached directly with a request for a link on here, However as with any organisation if the editors believe there is a news worthy item the magazines/websites will carry the story. As I understand it at present there is only a proposal and nothing definate. I am sure the organisers will keep the news editors informed.

As a matter of good faith the link to the proposal is here… Truckersworld DCPC protest statement
We request most strongly that all discussion of this happens on the organisers website, not on here, as in the past such discussions on here have descended into slanging matches of no benefit to campaign organisers or users here. There is an active discussion here

If this is abused, or it descends into a slanging match it will be removed and those taking part warned… we have asked nicely that you take discussion of this to the website of the organisers as they are the only ones who can answer your questions and inform you in detail of their plans.

pierrot 14:

Craig 111:

IIRC in the past Norbert got round using English drivers without the FIMO, as long as they were actually resident in England.

Yep, it’s a French firm (one of the biggest), and I’m a French resident. Had no problem with the UK DCPC card at all, and also use a UK-issued digitach card which integrates fine with the firm’s tacho software.

Anybody know if the Belguim as well as the dutch have exempted drivers over 55 from the DCPC?

Hi Trucker John, don’t know about anyone else, but I had proven driving experience to show the Dutch company I work for and that is all they needed, apparently, if you can prove more than 5 years driving HGV experience they waive the right to require the Diploma, anyway, I work for them and it is not a problem, but as another poster says, the French are another story wIth the F.I.M.O. But that’s another story

Sapper

Craig 111:

pierrot 14:

Craig 111:

Yep, it’s a French firm (one of the biggest), and I’m a French resident. Had no problem with the UK DCPC card at all, and also use a UK-issued digitach card which integrates fine with the firm’s tacho software.

I’m really interested by what you are saying here Craig. If you don’t mind I’ll PM you to get some details.

AFAIK in spain the DCPC from the UK is valid alongside a UK licence but if you want to exchange the licence for a spanish one i don’t know if it “translates” but the international cpc does so maybe.
as far as the spanish equivalent is concerned its very expensive, about 1400euros for the 35hrs and its due roughly the same time as the UK with the exception that you have to complete the hours by a certain date dependant on the last number of your NIE number :open_mouth: so mine is due by 2013 because my number ends in a 7 :confused: :confused:

welshboyinspain:
as far as the spanish equivalent is concerned its very expensive, about 1400euros for the 35hrs

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: How Much :question: :exclamation: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I was concerned about the price of the F.I.M.O. around 2000 euros, but that’s for a 4 week course of 156 hours, where you get basic maintenance, an ADR course, 5 days on the road , then the usual classroom bumff.

pierrot 14:

welshboyinspain:
as far as the spanish equivalent is concerned its very expensive, about 1400euros for the 35hrs

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: How Much :question: :exclamation: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I was concerned about the price of the F.I.M.O. around 2000 euros, but that’s for a 4 week course of 156 hours, where you get basic maintenance, an ADR course, 5 days on the road , then the usual classroom bumff.

that does include ADR as well :unamused: or at least thats what the boss is paying for

http://truckerjon.blogspot.com/2011/05/february-29th-2012.html

Be there or be square!

I’ll be there Jon! :grimacing:

Think I might have to be square, I dont agree with everything in the new DCPC but I dont totaly disagree with it either. I have been driving for a lot of years now and dont know everything, and I have yet to meet anybody that does know everything. Over time we forget things, we become complacent, and there are things we never knew, so some refresher training is a good thing as long as it is structured, interesting and presented well, then few drivers on the road today would not benifit. New drivers need some training and guidance aswell, again as long as its usefull and relevent to there new job. I think the days of throwing a bunch of keys at a new driver and saying ‘‘its over there off you go’’ are over. The biggest gripe with it seems to be whos paying, well in my humble opinion all companies should pay for the training there drivers need. But as usual the good intentions of the DCPC are lost as employers with deep pockets and short arms try to pass the cost on to the poor old driver again, and if the transport companys had done something over the years then there would have been no need to impose it now. Wincanton, DHL, Stobarts ect have been training drivers for years and paying the drivers to be there, and the new regulations make very little difference to them. While I am on my soap box I think all employers should also pay for ADR’s, new digital cards, medicals, driving licences, uniforms and PPE aswell. They can afford it, even the smallest operators all have a good living out of it, they just say they dont. Luckily for me I work for a company that pays for everything, and to be fair our guys dont whinge about the DCPC at all, we are all pretty positive. ( even the 40 years service men)