Czech truck manufacturer Avia ceases production

…in Czech Republic and moves to India.

wyborcza.biz/biznes/1,100896,141 … #BoxBizTxt

Estimated in 1919 as a plane manufacturer, taken over by Å koda 9 years later and became one of the biggest plane engine manufacturer in the region.

In Communist Czechoslovakia started to manufacture trucks for its mother company and in 1968 obtained license from Saviem/Renault to make these:

It was making them, without any significant modifications up to 2000, no wonder that in new economical conditions it had troubles. Taken over by Daewoo and Steyr in 1995, it was manufacturing equally outdated Polish lublin vans also owned by Daewoo.

Now belongs to Ashoka-Leyland company and it will continue to manufacture trucks under that brand in India for non-European markets.

So that’s another badge less on European roads.

Interesting.

Does this mean the end of the Avia trucks that are sold here both in their own name and with electric drivelines as Smiths?

They’ve just launched the Avia in Australia…at a lower price than the Japanese competition

weeklytimesnow.com.au/articl … oring.html

Smith was taking them from Avia? I didn’t knew that, I just thought they both take their cabs and chasis design from third manufacturer somewhere in Asia… These cabs could be also seen as Daewoo…

They were Daewoo…then Daewoo went bust and the truck factory + designs sold to Ashok-Leyland and relaunched under the Avia brand.

There was a plan to restart assembly in Britain.

They’re marketed here as Longton Avia

I seen a few on the roads.

longtonavia.co.uk/

Got the story now

Read it here: truckingtopics.co.uk/aviacloses.html

They were but ugly looking trucks, the few that I’ve seen, there’s a rental firm round here, Basingstoke commercials I think, that have at least one…