Czech republic

Hello, going to brno over this weekend any thing i need to know ,this being my first trip.Thank you .

Apart from usual euro-gear, you need to get toll box (border or fuel station just before/after border) (www.premid.cz)… D1 motorway Prague-Brno is proper crap, don’t be surprised (bumpy, shaky, noisy, busy traffic, uphill sections in crawler lane and crawling…). What route are you taking? You may have some fun round Prague as well, or not, it depends.

Suprised Britpete hasnt made a snowchain alert yet !! :smiley:
Went a couple of years ago and crossed border @ Waidhaus.Pretty straightforward to get a go box as long as you have vehicle docs(which ime sure you have) dont forget to hand it back on the way out for a refund :wink: - have a good trip.

oh ye of little faith Suedehead :open_mouth: beware of the law of nature :wink:
and the laws of the land :open_mouth: ,or you shall be punished by loss of coin in
sums that make your eyes water :smiley: :smiley:

^ You might also loose some money on the girls near the border crossing.

Best wait for Brno and have a few beers and watch the eye candy

Thanx for the posts all info gratefully recieved.

Prague not a problem any more the new bye pass is open all the way around the bottom of Prague now. A good road that saves a lot of time.

good trip but the road from Prague to Brno is a total nightmare it has got to be the worst i have experienced. I am sure that CZ would benefit from Euro cash

Brno - Lovely city, I was stay there for a week in few years ago! Good beers! 50p pint! cheap than bottle of coke! :open_mouth: also almost ■■■ shop & strippers club on every streets! :open_mouth: also it was very cheap than Soho! :laughing:

Praha to Brno D1 Motorway! full of concrete slabs! also lots of hilly - good fun driving! :grimacing: but even worse D2 motorway from Brno to Slovakia! felt like earthquake when driving on :laughing:

thetourist:
Prague not a problem any more the new bye pass is open all the way around the bottom of Prague now. A good road that saves a lot of time.

Only true when coming from / going towards Plzen or K. Vary directions. When going to / coming from D8 Teplice - Dresden, then Prague is the same crap it was, if not worse.

Prague - Brno - Bratislava m’way was built some 40yrs ago and has been only maintained since. With traffic well above its design limits, it’s falling apart in every aspect. They are planning numerous repairs for next year, mostly emergency bridge repairs, so the traffic situation will be even worse during those.
Otherwise, I think the authority wants to finish D11-R35 Hradec Kralove - Olomouc link asap to provide some relief to the D1. And then… I’d guess they’ll built a new motorway / dual-carriageway, perhaps in the course of the old road, rather then re-build the D1 to 3+3 lanes.

HomoFaber:

thetourist:

Only true when coming from / going towards Plzen or K. Vary directions. When going to / coming from D8 Teplice - Dresden, then Prague is the same crap it was, if not worse.

Prague - Brno - Bratislava m’way was built some 40yrs ago and has been only maintained since. With traffic well above its design limits, it’s falling apart in every aspect. They are planning numerous repairs for next year, mostly emergency bridge repairs, so the traffic situation will be even worse during those.
Otherwise, I think the authority wants to finish D11-R35 Hradec Kralove - Olomouc link asap to provide some relief to the D1. And then… I’d guess they’ll built a new motorway / dual-carriageway, perhaps in the course of the old road, rather then re-build the D1 to 3+3 lanes.

I remember the Prague ring when you dropped into some of the larger pot holes you were sharing it with a hoarse and cart…