Cynical in my dotage?

I’m not sure whether this is because I’m an old xxxxxx (insert descriptor of choice here) and thus am more cynical with each passing year – or whether this has always been the case and I’ve never noticed but…

A phrase I seem to be hearing increasingly is … “… and I have to be at ■■■ by zzz o’clock!”

The cynic in me wants to get the driver and shake him and explain that no, you don’t have to be at ■■■ by zzz; what you have to do is get there with the lorry and the load in one piece. Traffic jams, accidents, roadworks, roadblocks, breakdowns, all of these things (and more!) are not either your responsibility or your worry.

Basically, you get there when you get there and if the delivery is late for reasons outside of your control then it’s the TM’s fault for routing the job the way he did ---- It is not your problem!

Case in point: Waiting in Stirling Board, Cowie a few weeks ago (anyone familiar with Cowie will now be rolling their eyes because they will know what is coming! :smiley: :smiley: ) and the wait, at the time I pulled in was 3 hours. If you know Cowie, you know immediately that 3 hours usually turns into 4… then 5 … etc. This particular day, the wait turned (for yours truly) into 6 hours; hey ho, put the kettle on, sit back and chill. However, there was one driver who was pacing about, cursing and swearing and mentioning to anyone that he had to be at ■■■ by zzz and his TM would have a hissy fit and blah, blah, blah.
Sorry but with the stress he’s giving himself, it’s a heart attack waiting to happen!

It appears that this outlook is far from common and getting worse, which begs the question… WHY?

Chill guys — IT’S NOT YOUR PROBLEM!

You’re wasting your time mate trying to get through to the borgs and the brainwashed who are soooo eager to please their boss :unamused:

Do as I do, …look at them with a mixture of amusement, amazement and disgust as they work their way towards that heart attack you mention, whilst you are just chilling out and taking things as they come,.safe in the knowledge you are paid by the hour…the most ironic thing us though most of these stress head teararse types you mention are also paid that way, but you can’t educate pork. :laughing:

robroy:
,… but you can’t educate pork. :laughing:

True but, in this country, we elect it and put it into Government.

Oh dear… The cynic in me is off again… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Win-Stone:
[quote=“robroy”,… but you can’t educate pork. :laughing:

True but, in this country, we elect it and put it into Government.

Oh dear… The cynic in me is off again… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
[/quote]
Except we didnt with the current one. 80-odd thousand people of a mainly white, mainly older, mainly male, mainly well off types who would benefit from say a tax cut for higher earners voted for it… now that’s cynical :wink:

On topic yes I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t overly like waiting around but as you say “what can you do” and you’re right, the rest of the plan is not your problem either. That’s what planners are there for…

Same with traffic. See no end of people getting wound up. Never got it. It doesn’t make it move any quicker.

Win-Stone:
A phrase I seem to be hearing increasingly is … “… and I have to be at ■■■ by zzz o’clock!”

A phrase I’m often herad saying; where ■■■=left & zzz=your round. :smiley:

robroy:
…look at them with a mixture of amusement, amazement and disgust

Would love to see a pic of your amused, amazed disgusted face! [emoji23]

Human nature I`m afraid, I had two lads of the same age, with the same trucks doing the same job, which was an easy one for good money…

Driver A - terrified of his own shadow, and completely ruled by his sat-nav and NEVER saw the positive in anything. everything was a “■■■■ take” and “illegal”…he also looked & behaved like an old man

Driver B - Just got on with it, you never heard a murmur out of him, he NEVER saw a negative in anything…he looked a good 10 years younger than his actual age

Guess which one had a stroke, had a year off then returned EXACTLY as before ■■?

Guess which one did`nt last, and left with stress related illnesses [again] ?

We just are`nt all built the same :unamused:

stu675:

robroy:

I’ve seen it. Think of the worst ■■■ face you’ve ever seen :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

stu675:

robroy:

I’ve seen it. Think of the worst ■■■ face you’ve ever seen :smiley: :smiley: