cyclists

and yet another cyclist dies in london on the bow roundabout,i do not know the full facts as i heard it on the news and feel sorry for the cyclist who died but i guarantee the lorry hating public will be out in force and at the head of them will be boris johnson all calling for a total ban on hgvs in london no doubt,no matter how much a driver checks or how many mirrors or safety equipment you put on a lorry cyclists will allways take chances which result in serious injury or death as in this case,if boris wants to do something about it [lets face it he is biased being a cyclist himself]he should make sure cyclists are educated about the dangers once and for all even if a law of some sort is passed on said cyclists,no doubt though it will be the big bad lorry drivers fault

I guess that Tfl has a huge pot of money,why don’t they employ vosa type hitlers to fine the cyclist that ignore traffic signals and ride dangerously .

In London are mental, the other week I had a 1900 delivery near Liverpool Street, cyclist after cyclist with no light’s on, they don’t help themselves and they don’t realise by having them on they will save there life’s. And then you pip your horn at them, obviously to let them know they have forgotten to switch them on, you can imagine the abuse you get. :smiley: The lorry driver is always guilty.

Dan Punchard:
I guess that Tfl has a huge pot of money,why don’t they employ vosa type hitlers to fine the cyclist that ignore traffic signals and ride dangerously .

This is a good idea, but we know it’s to sensible to ever come into practice.

Well it’s not like there is a shortage of offenders is it ? I am sure it would make a profit ,they could have a reduced fine if the offending cyclist did a course like the one offord to motorists.

One of the problems you’ve got is that Boris, in his infinite wisdom, stuck a cycle superhighway across the Bow roundabout. Another problem is that the majority of london cyclists are bloody idiots (no lights in the dark, red light jumpers, go up the inside of buses/hgvs etc etc) and think that the blue line of the cycle superhighway means they’ve got right of way. Clearly they haven’t.

Enforcement of some kind is definitely needed for cyclists and, speaking as a cyclist, would happily report others for being ■■■■■■

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24925390

mmmmm i cant see that to be honest. if some cyclist has the i’m holier than thou attitude then Darwin s law bring it on.

I am a cyclist and see both sides,
Some driving out there leaves alot to be desired, pulling in early, doing a shoddy overtaking manouvre, pulling straight across to turn left :imp: putting the squeeze on etc,
but then again the cyclists dont help themselves with some of the daft moves I’ve seen, ok so I will take up a position on the road where i feel safe, and if that means pulling out a foot past parked cars, junctions, busy pavements where people (schoolkids) find it acceptable to walk into the road without looking I will, Its called taking up a safe and prominent position.

On my commute my bike is like a Xmas tree, ok so i may look like a wally but aslong as people can see me that’ll do.

Also, it should be LAW for helmets to be worn, they wont always save a life but sometimes they will cushion a blow.

Never a good thing to read but it is about time cyclists where banned from using the roads in London and other major cities.

Its just to dangerous for them and there are far too many that don’t have the ability to realise the dangers they present to themselves.

My heart goes out to all the family and friends but sorry its time to stop this madness.

This whole getting Britain on its bike philosophy appears to be more to do with reducing future burdens on the NHS by envoking the laws of Darwin than any attempt to reduce our carbon footprint.

That is three (at least) in London over the past few days.

This one involved with a truck, there was one under a bus in Croydon yesterday and one apparently attempted to get up the inside of a coach as it was indicating to turn left a few days ago.

It is callous to say in view of the fact that these have all died but from the kind of antics I often see of cyclists in London it is a wonder the number isn’t a lot higher. According to the BBC the one with the coach happened as it was actually indicating and beginning to turn left but the cyclist still attempted to go straight on up the inside of it…? How stupid is it possible to be?

Dipper_Dave:
Its just to dangerous for them and there are far too many that don’t have the ability to realise the dangers they present to themselves

Often not just themselves but the dangers they present to others. Whether its getting knocked over by one who’s jumped a red light as you’re crossing the road or having it on your conscience that you’ve killed one as you were turning… the actions of some of them can still ■■■■ someone else’s life up apart from their own.

Its time to get them off the roads in major cities, they will just have to walk on the pavement or even better just bloody walk without their two wheeled death trap until the time is right and the infrastructure is in place to segregate trucks and bikes.

The two don’t mix and its no good the PC brigade getting on its high horse (another dangerous mode of transport around trucks) and trying to get Britain cycling when common sense dictates flesh and bone and steel and aluminium (or fibreglass for old ERF drivers) don’t mix.

When trucks are delivering essential supplies and cyclists (or at least some of them) are nothing more than a nuisance or accident waiting to happen we need to realise the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

Think Bike my arse- Think pain in the arse theres a bike more like.

I almost feel an e-petiton coming on :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be doing that, as although most of these comments about cyclists are spot on about their downright stupidity and ninja style antics they are a very vocal group (read arsy lobby group) with the ear of people in the right places, which is something the truck/transport industry hasn’t got.

For the record I’m all for cycling and always hang back and give plenty of room but cyclists need to use some common sense (sadly lacking) light up (sadly lacking) and wear bright/reflective clothing.

Oh and please stop riding like ■■■■■ as others say through red lights & at high speed on footpaths past pedestrians etc.

Cambridge is as bad as you turn off the A14 into Cambridge before I turn left at the lights many a time have had cyclists overtake me on the inside and outside at the same time theres not a lot of room and a rear steer trailer is worse.
I have sat through 2 changes of lights before turning left before just to get rid of cyclists got indicators on and even a sunny dat they seem oblivious to whats around them.

Jeff

Olog Hai:
That is three (at least) in London over the past few days.

This one involved with a truck, there was one under a bus in Croydon yesterday and one apparently attempted to get up the inside of a coach as it was indicating to turn left a few days ago.

It is callous to say in view of the fact that these have all died but from the kind of antics I often see of cyclists in London it is a wonder the number isn’t a lot higher. According to the BBC the one with the coach happened as it was actually indicating and beginning to turn left but the cyclist still attempted to go straight on up the inside of it…? How stupid is it possible to be?

There have been 4 cyclist deaths in London in the last 8 days.

2 have involved trucks, and have been widely reported.

Another involved a coach and was not so widely reported.

The fourth involved a bus and was hardly reported at all.

Deaths of motorcyclists and pedestrians in London will only make a paragraph in the local paper.

I wonder why?

The last bus/bike death in London that made the headlines was the one during the Olympics, and much was made of the fact that the elderly bus driver was arrested at the scene.

I subsequently stumbled across a report of the cyclist’s inquest. He was one of a group of cyclists. His companions all noticed the bus was indicating left and hung back accordingly. He didn’t. Verdict was ‘misadventure’ but not as widely reported as the accident.

I wonder why?

Is there any chance, any at all, that any of these incidents were the fault of the drivers? Like the one last week when both the truck & cyclist were stopped at lights, on green they move off, cyclist gets away quicker, truck catches up and runs into the back of, and over, the cyclist killing him. Or the one in Nantwich today where the truck hit & killed a cyclist and didn’t stop.
As for what will happen, I think speedyguy is correct, I think it will go against the trucking community and some form of ban will come in sooner or later. Remember nobody likes trucks, or juggernauts, thundering around the place do they.

I used to have the mindset that we should all educate ourselves of the dangers and get along and share the roads however its just too big a leap when theres so many lycra clad nutters about.

Don’t get me wrong on a rural or quite road I will give cyclists more than enough room but in major cities we cannot look in every mirror at the same time as well as watching whats going on through that big pain of glass in front of us.

I know how Linda Blair feels sometimes my heads spining so much and theres always one ready to give you the coffee beans when he/she has had to crawl along the inside between the tyres and kerb so they can make it safely into your blindspot. :unamused:

Slackbladder:
Is there any chance, any at all, that any of these incidents were the fault of the drivers?

Possibly, maybe I shouldn’t say it but as alluded to above whatever gets the headlines will be printed/promoted rather than fact :confused:

Slackbladder:
As for what will happen, I think speedyguy is correct, I think it will go against the trucking community and some form of ban will come in sooner or later. Remember nobody likes trucks, or juggernauts, thundering around the place do they.

I thank you :bowingsmilie:

Although ‘nobody likes trucks or juggernauts’ It needs making PERFECTLY clear to those that the beans they eat, the bread/milk/ Starbucks/costa/ £3 meal deal/ light fitting from Ikea/ bean bag from Harrods only makes the final part of its journey in their rucksack/car until then or until we move to a completely different supply chain until consumers realise that nothing will change, even if it does and people are sat in Hyde Park or wherever watching a concert they probably still won’t realise all the portabogs/stage/ etc came by truck.

I was overnight at Redhill, but was in London today, 2 drops. One at Tooley St (underneath London Bridge station) and one at Drury Lane. I was driving a rigid 18 tonner and it was hell! it took 2 hours (ok, I went for a shower at Clacket Lane then used the A20) to get to Tooley St, and then another hour to do the 1.8 miles to Drury Lane. I don’t mind the congestion…it happens. But what I do mind is that everytime I stopped at lights, a junction, or whatever I was swamped by cyclists who had no idea what to do. At one point a guy actually bumped into another cyclist who hadn’t taken off so quickly and he fell flat in front of me. I was only doing about 4mph…but what if I was putting my foot down? He’d have been going somewhere in a bucket!

Slackbladder:
Is there any chance, any at all, that any of these incidents were the fault of the drivers? Like the one last week when both the truck & cyclist were stopped at lights, on green they move off, cyclist gets away quicker, truck catches up and runs into the back of, and over, the cyclist killing him. Or the one in Nantwich today where the truck hit & killed a cyclist and didn’t stop.

Whoever was at fault, and whatever the rights and wrongs of the incident, to kill someone and not stop is absolutely unforgiveable. Anyone of that mentality is not fit to push a pram, never mind drive a truck. :imp: