Cyclists on dual carriage ways

merc0447:
Frigin suicide merchants if you ask me :unamused:

Its not the tax thing that bothers me as they produce zero emissions, the wear and tear on the road will almost certainly be zero but what if one cuts me up at a junction and i knock him down and goes through my windscreen who’s insurance pays for that damage again?

i have had a collision with a cyclist they sped out of junction without looking hit my wing then tried suing me and blaming me for the accident since then cyclists can ■■■■ off for all i care along with cycling side by side no need for it i appriciate its exercise and not harmful to the environment but cyclist need to learn manners or take a test or training

ROG:
My car is heavier than a bicycle so it goes faster downhill :laughing:

Isaac Newton must be rapidly rotating in his grave :unamused:

If air resistance is equal, gravity affects all objects equally regardless of mass.

merc0447:

Its not the tax thing that bothers me as they produce zero emissions, the wear and tear on the road will almost certainly be zero but what if one cuts me up at a junction and i knock him down and goes through my windscreen who’s insurance pays for that damage again?

Whats the betting that they would try & blame the motorist if one got hit , even if it was probably down to themselves being at error !! :neutral_face:

Fergi:
They don’t pay to use the roads so why should they be given any special treatment? Nothing better than passing them as close as possible in the wet :slight_smile:

If you can work it, id use google if i were you and search for cars that pay nothing for road tax, whats your attitude for them? :wink:

Personally i have no problem with some cyclists. I used to be a cyclist before i became lazy :stuck_out_tongue: but every now and again i get back on my bike. I used to do alot of miles and could go for quite a while with no incident with drivers, then i would get a patch of nob head drivers. As a car driver i dont mind cyclists, its idiots who go on the road on their bikes cycling slowly that i think should get off the road. When i cycled i used to try and cause the least obstruction, but you do get the drivers with no braincell who cant tell what im doing and how to get past me. Or the nervous ones, they really wound me up, I used to cycle along at quite a speed to work along a busy-ish main road. There was no problem with me being on the road to most people and they would just come past me, you always got the dim one who would hesitate for no reason. You may all now moan because i ignored the cycle lane but it was safer i wasnt on it for the pedestrians safety, i used to go flying over the railway bridge and be charging along doing around 30mph. The only time i would flick onto the cyclepath was when there was a truck behind who couldnt get past. I would then slow down until i got back on the road.

Cycling on dual carriageways is usually done for timetrials. These are getting harder and harder to organise on dual carriageways due to the safety of cycling on them. I never did a TT on one, its never been something ive wanted to do but people do like them so they can get a fast time. Its an easy course to do one on a dual carriageway because of the pull of trucks. In a few years i can see these TTs being very rare. There has to be traffic counts being done and sent off to check how many units of traffic are going along the section of road used. This then reflects on next years event. If a certain course has a high number of ‘units’ then there is a decision to be made. They normally try and be run at quiet times. The Police are notified well in advance on the event and they have to approve it.

Im not all for cyclists though. Like i said above some do annoy me. Especially the ones who would come past after i had overtaken them. Then you have to overtake again. Just do what i used to do and wait in line, your then not overtaking people who will have to overtake you again. Although, if i knew that the work of overtaking would leave me going well off ahead of the cars then i would filter my way through. I dont ride my bike much now, due to me being unfit, lazy, having a car to get about in which is much easier and having a few too many close calls for comfort with nobs. One of which would purposely come past close, cutting in and braking to try and run me off the road.

Oh, and as for Magnatom :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: He makes me laugh more then anything.

bonnie lass:

merc0447:

Whats the betting that they would try & blame the motorist if one got hit , even if it was probably down to themselves being at error !! :neutral_face:

There was a guy knocked down and killed on a dual carriageway a few years ago. He was a large bloke and not hard to miss. The woman exited the carriageway and just charged straight into him. Not his fault. IIRC he was in the army, lived in Germany with his family and had come over to the UK to do the TT. Or something like that.
That wasnt his fault.
There are times cyclists get knocked off and it is there fault. If i do hit a cyclist and its their fault i would have no problem holding them responsible and making them pay to the damage to my car. Many proper cyclists have insurance with either the CTC or BC so its no problem if an accident occurs with them because they have an insurance company to sort out their stuff.

Erorrs can be made by either party, though the injuries may be far greater to the cyclist being flesh to steel. So if you did hit a cyclist & they were in a bad way - even if it was their fault, & with the highway code telling you to give them a wide clearence etc, it could still be on a tricky wicket, & a load of hasstle no one needs.

bonnie lass:
Erorrs can be made by either party, though the injuries may be far greater to the cyclist being flesh to steel. So if you did hit a cyclist & they were in a bad way - even if it was their fault, & with the highway code telling you to give them a wide clearence etc, it could still be on a tricky wicket, & a load of hasstle no one needs.

As a customer once said to me
“Mistakes get made, its how they get sorted thats important”

I take the same thought with other car drivers when im driving. Some drivers do some silly things. Not because they are bad drivers(some things they do is because they are bad drivers, why do some automatic go in the outside lane at lights, leaving the inside lane clear? :confused: ) but because they have things on their mind(like a family member with health problems, my mum did a little bit of bad driving when my grandma was dieing. You never know whats happening, mistakes do get made at times).
I dont think the wide clearence is as important at times. Aslong as it isnt stupidly close and the cyclist can ride in a straight line then get on past. I got more annoyed by people who would wait behind for no reason. because the competent drivers behind would be getting annoyed with me on my bike when it was the car just not going past the cyclists

There will always be good drivers & bad drivers, same with cyclists , for a variety of different reasons. With good clearence space - well , you have more room & are less likely to have a mis hap :slight_smile:

I am a cyclists but I think these cyclists on busy roads SC’s and DC’s are idiots, there is no need, there are plenty of quiet side roads that make cycling easier and less dangerous.

There is 8mls of dual carrigeway near to me with a wide cycle path on its entire length, I’ve never seen a cyclist on the path but plenty on the carrigeway with cars going past them at 70mph +, they must have a death wish.
With quite narrow lanes, trucks need the outside lane to pass them, all in all a dangerous situation, why are cyclists not prosecuted in this situation.

waddy640:
I was on the A1 between Blyth and Markham Moor and they had a cycle event, on a Saturday evening in July. There were even idiots squatting in the nearside lane taking photos.

I got to Cromwell and there was another one going on between there and Newark.

I was going to write that, they are a zb liability on a Saturday night or Sunday morning, cars parked on the grass verges, stupidity at its best

Wheel Nut:

waddy640:
I was on the A1 between Blyth and Markham Moor and they had a cycle event, on a Saturday evening in July. There were even idiots squatting in the nearside lane taking photos.

I got to Cromwell and there was another one going on between there and Newark.

I was going to write that, they are a zb liability on a Saturday night or Sunday morning, cars parked on the grass verges, stupidity at its best

Great minds think alike.