Cyclist with a grudge

Andrew Leitch:

Grayham:
When cyclists start paying road tax and insurance only then should they have a say, til then get outta my way :smiling_imp:

With attitudes like that, no wonder there’s an Us & Them stand-off on the roads and ne’er the twain shall meet. :unamused:

When I was working, I cycled the 2-and-a-bit miles to work. I was a cyclist first, trucker second and my car was for weekends and trackdays.

But you didn’t get squished, many cyclists are not safe to be on the roads or think they have a god given right to act stupidly. The truck driver isnt going to get hurt because a cyclist has ridden into a blindspot

Wheel Nut:
‘… many cyclists … think they have a God given right to act stupidly…’

Literally, that option given them is broadly accurate - but the sad bit is that it’s endorsed by hopelessly unfocussed traffic management policies originally from Brussels/Strasbourg & diluted to us by arrogant muppets: God must surely despair…?

Grayham:
When cyclists start paying road tax and insurance only then should they have a say

My take is somewhat different -
Pedestrians are taught to use the paths and cross the roads from an early age - usually by their peirs
Motorised road users are taught to use the roads by taking training and a test
Cyclists… ■■?..something is missing…

EDIT & ADD -
I believe horse riders get tuition on how to behave when riding on the highway.

Given that society is loosely bound to road regulation within user groups as detailed in the Code, is there a clue to the hierarchy of the highway whereby pedestrians, horse riders & cyclists have a right to use it & all the rest need a licence?

Or should we revolt and start again?

Got to agree with Hombre. Another sandle wearing,real beer drinking[or teetotal],vegetarian eating nimby!!! We now have, by law, speed limiters, bigger wider angled mirrors & the driver cpc for more road user friendly driving. ALL PAID FOR BY US, THE DRIVER/TRANSPORT COMPANYS. This idiot would soon be screaming if he cycled to his local supermarket to find the shelves empty of quorn and bishops armpit real bitter. When this moron finally takes a government backed cycle test and pays a fraction of the £1200 a year road tax that I have to pay, Then, and only then, will I take anything he says without the pinch of salt needed. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Niko:
‘…We now have, by law, speed limiters, bigger wider angled mirrors & the driver cpc for more road user friendly driving…’

That’s European initiated law

Niko:
‘…ALL PAID FOR BY US, THE DRIVER/TRANSPORT COMPANYS…’

Maybe we should all own our actions, Nikkers - we originally voted to be led that way in the 70’s & appear to consistently approve by voting in favour of Europe every time we get the choice.

Niko:
‘…a government backed cycle test…’

You’re suggesting more taxation, administration & bureaucracy with this lots record??

Niko:
‘…and pays a fraction of the £1200 a year road tax that I have to pay…’

We pay £40 milllion a day to be a subordinate member of the EU - likely to fully include your £1,200 kind donation (that, many would argue, you choose to pay) …kerching

Niko:
‘…Then, and only then, will I take anything he says without the pinch of salt needed…’

And you’re angry at a bloke trying to minutely improve his otherwise Tesco-ised life with his civilised beer, his fresh air & exercise and his healthy alternative to globally homogenised Maccy D’s instead of joining us lemmings in identikit, grey-faced, Euro-madness??

Happy Keith:

Niko:
‘…We now have, by law, speed limiters, bigger wider angled mirrors & the driver cpc for more road user friendly driving…’

That’s European initiated law
UK or Euro law, it’s still aimed at us.

Niko:
‘…ALL PAID FOR BY US, THE DRIVER/TRANSPORT COMPANYS…’

Maybe we should all own our actions, Nikkers - we originally voted to be led that way in the 70’s & appear to consistently approve by voting in favour of Europe every time we get the choice.
Don’t know about you Keith, but I was at school when the vote to join europe was made available.

Niko:
‘…a government backed cycle test…’

You’re suggesting more taxation, administration & bureaucracy with this lots record??
Yes. By charging the cyclists for the test.

Niko:
‘…and pays a fraction of the £1200 a year road tax that I have to pay…’

We pay £40 milllion a day to be a subordinate member of the EU - likely to fully include your £1,200 kind donation (that, many would argue, you choose to pay) …kerching
I have no choice in paying my road tax to the UK government if I want to continue working. Same as PAYE et al.

Niko:
‘…Then, and only then, will I take anything he says without the pinch of salt needed…’

And you’re angry at a bloke trying to minutely improve his otherwise Tesco-ised life with his civilised beer, his fresh air & exercise and his healthy alternative to globally homogenised Maccy D’s instead of joining us lemmings in identikit, grey-faced, Euro-madness??

Trying to improve his life at the expence and detriment of others, For the common good of all would be better.

Niko:
‘… the common good of all would be better…’

Agreed …let’s all get a bike

Top-tip: there are very few porky birds in Holland

Cyclists do themselves no favours in as much as they have total disregard for the highway code. For example, I was pulling away on a slope (fully laden at 44 tonnes), pulling away speed was slow, meanwhile a cyclist decided he could go faster than me, pulls in front forcing me to stop and gives me a load of verbal. Off he goes and I catch up just as the lights had turned red. I stop, the cyclist decides the red light doesn’t apply to him and goes through the red light :unamused:

Tiger.

Nice to hear from the lager swilling, burger eating, beer bellied, Airtex vest wearing fraternity; who are presumably taking a day off from tossing dwarfs or tripping up old ladies.

I thought the video was pretty reasoned. They were discussing a problem and trying to offer solutions and I can see no reason to start a slanging match. The old mechanical horse was a treat but I suspect it wouldn’t get past some of the current rules. Maybe someone could produce a modern version.

Fastrantiger:
‘…Cyclists do themselves no favours in as much as they have total disregard for the highway code…’

Whilst respecting your position & restrained response at that occasion, an alternative yet plausible view is that the government has ‘total disregard’ for the majority of all road users by inadequately managing, policing or punishing the dangerous & antisocial ones - including cocksure cyclists.

It has done so to the extent that we now societally ‘engage the enemy’ on the roads in an unhealthy way that tempts too many decent folk to consider ‘if i can’t beat them I’ll join them’.

I’m not advocating plod being on points duty, but why have we begun to tolerate the hitherto ‘traffic police’ becoming virtually non-existent - or at least invisible - and evidently unwilling (or unable?) to stop cyclists and other richard-heads being consistently blatant with ASBO antics?

Q. Why doesn’t this government govern our society instead of jacking-off over professional drivers?

A. Maybe because:

Despite being the 4th richest nation on earth we are skint through funding Europe & policing the world with our money rather than providing us with a better managed quality of life?

Or

We are now more easily ruled over as a divided society than before when as a wholesome nation?

I find cyclists hard to wash off the front when its hot n dry!

Koop:
I find cyclists hard to wash off the front when its hot n dry!

Same here in Oz, they get all crusted up under yer mudguards. And they’re really hard to scrape off the bull bars.

To be honest, I feel it just reinforces the idea that cyclists should not be allowed onto the road without taking and passing an proficiency test. Their bikes should be inspected anually, they should also be taxed and insured. Car drivers also need to be educated about lorries as part of their test.

Ragnarok:
To be honest, I feel it just reinforces the idea that cyclists should not be allowed onto the road without taking and passing an proficiency test. Their bikes should be inspected anually, they should also be taxed and insured. Car drivers also need to be educated about lorries as part of their test.

90% of cyclists own cars, are you saying all HGV drivers are perfect? As an HGV/Driving instructor/cpc blah blah blah holder and a keen cyclist 100 miles a week, I see plenty of idiots in all forms of transport acting the goat. Its a human condition, common sense cant be taught. Some HGV drivers could do with half an hour a day on a bike, do em the world of good!

The only bike you will catch me on will have its legs in the air! :smiley:

His daughter was killed under a truck. whether it was her fault or not its not really surprising he, s got the hump is it?

Ragnarok:

Taxing and paying insurance is all fine, but what about the people who use their bikes every so often, just when its sunny?
Will they have to pay this tax and insurance, and also get their bikes checked each year?
Will this be good for cycling and get people out of car, and doing abit of excersice?

Is it all cyclists that disregard the highway code, or just a few, or just the ones you remember?

Ive been passed by lorries very close before, been cut up and had some follow me close behind when they couldnt get passed. At traffic lights that i was waiting at, a lorry pulled up behind me, he kept releasing his brakes then putting them on, slowly rolling closer to me. Was early 20s.
But, ive also had lorrys give me a very wide birth, been very patienct behind giving me lots of room and been very courteous. Which is very nice.
Ive had more problems with car drivers though, but thats a whole different thing.
Im not one of those slow people on bikes either, ill average between 18 and 20mph, do 10mile TTs in 23:36, and dont just go out with the aim to block cars. I go out on my bike to train, and to go to somewhere, which usually ends up with me going fast as i can.
If anyone is around Nottingham, see a young lad(im 17) on a blue Fixed wheel with black carbon forks in Sherwood CC lycra, then give us a flash.

JoeG:

Ragnarok:

Taxing and paying insurance is all fine, but what about the people who use their bikes every so often, just when its sunny?
Will they have to pay this tax and insurance, and also get their bikes checked each year?

Why shouldnt they pay for occasional use? After all bikers who only use theri bikes in summer have to be MOTd, taxed and insured for the majority of the year as do users of vintage vehicles - why are cyclists so different??

Are you also going to be taxing children on bikes aswell?
What age do you bring in taxing and insuring of bikes? And getting the bikes MOTd.
Id send my bikes off to be MOTd, all 6 of them.
How is tax worked out? Emissions is it not? So electric cars…
Would it not be better to make cyclist have some insurance, and pay so much for the upkeep of the roads, well the poor up keep?
Where does the money which goes into the upkeep of roads come from? Does it not come from paying council tax and other taxes?
How many cyclist already have a car, so are paying insurance and tax each year?
How many have a driving licence? Will they need to also take a test to show they are able to ride on the road?
Do you think the driving test for cars is enough to make drivers good enough to drive on the road?

Theres lots of questions that could be asked.
As it comes down to it, with emissions cyclist dont produce enough. Well, they might produce more because they eat more so more food is transported to the shops to feed these hungry cyclist. But going by that, fat people should be taxed for being fat and eating alot.
Electric cars, they dont pay tax do they? Nor do cars over a certain age. So whats the thing with tax, if cyclist pay tax then why shouldnt these also start paying tax to use the road?