cyclist v hgv

why do cyclists think they are king of the road and take on HGV,s ect??

the other day driving along an A road, over took a cyclist no probs a little further i had to stop as traffic had built up and I could see that tractors were turning right, there was enough room for the cyclist to carry on down the left side of the traffic and i could also see the beginning of a cycle lane on the left, I moved over slightly to allow the cyclist a little more room on the left of me especially as I had a little bit of the load sticking out a fraction, (marked up), i could,nt believe it when the cyclist came down the right hand side of me stopped and made some comment and carried on, on the opposite side of the road, against the flow of traffic with traffic infront turning right, within in a short distance he could have been killed/injured through several different incidents,
why?? he has no chance against trucks or tractors so why put yourself at risk?? this by the way was,nt your normal cyclist to work but a full road cyclist,
is it about time that maybe these should have some sort of registation so that they can be reported/or chased up when needs be?

We were walking down the canal towpath last week when “she” says watch out as this lycra clad gayboy scared the living daylights out of me. I actually found myself saying sorry, till I got to the next lock and saw a sign saying No Cycling He was lifting his bog iron over the fence. If i see him again I will kick him in the cut :stuck_out_tongue:

What annoy’s me is when cyclists ride on the main road right next to a cycle track. :imp: Councils spend a fortune on cycle tracks even taking part of the road
to make them in some cases and these ■■■■ don’t use them, :imp: :imp:

Or on a wide road with a metre odd spare inside the nearside white line and they still want to ride on the wrong side of it. :angry: Horn.

Big Bear:
What annoy’s me is when cyclists ride on the main road right next to a cycle track. :imp: Councils spend a fortune on cycle tracks even taking part of the road
to make them in some cases and these ■■■■ don’t use them, :imp: :imp:

Yes, those cycle paths are fantastic. Covered in broken glass, dog ■■■■, dogs, pot holes, street furniture, gravel, pedestrians, children… Slower, often don’t go where you want to go, and statistically more dangerous than cycling on the road.

the only thing that ■■■■■■ me of with cyclist is when theres 2 or 3 of the riding side by side on the road so u can’t pass :smiling_imp: i’m so tempted 2 pick up grill orniments

Does any-one know if it is compulsory for cyclists to use a cycle-track if there is one?
Not 100% sure,but I think it’s possible to cycle from Perth to Inverness without having to go on the A9,using a mixture of specially constructed cycle track,disused parts of the old A9 and parts of the old A9 still used for local access.But they still use the A9,which is a fast road.
I was taught to give a cyclist at least 6’ of clearance,because that is the approx. amount of road space they would need if they were to fall off. I always do this as I’m also aware of the “bow-wave” caused by my truck which could cause them to lose control and possibly fall off. It’s annoying to have to lose speed to pass these planks when there is a perfectly good cycle track adjacent to but separated from the main carriageway :angry: :angry:

i’m sure the highway code says “cyclists are not obliged to use cycle paths”

if they can make good progress, they can use the road even if there is a cycle path, right next to it

Highlander:
Does any-one know if it is compulsory for cyclists to use a cycle-track if there is one?

No, it’s not.

In the latest edition of the Highway Code, the DfT originally brought in a rule advising cyclists to use them (which wouldn’t have made it illegal for cyclists not to use them, but would have made it open to claims of contributory negligence in the case of an accident), but after lots of objections it was modified to have an explicit statement to say that the use of cycle paths is not mandatory.

Highlander:
there is a perfectly good cycle track adjacent to but separated from the main carriageway

I’d have to wonder if it really is “perfectly good”, if it’s not being used…

I had one last week.
I was pulling out of a junction onto a quiet road, But i had to swing the cab round to see left. Iooked up the hill and i saw a cyclist stopped about half way down checking his brakes so i set off very slowly, “A tight bend on a hill.”
As soon as i set off he must have set off down the hill himself, As i was going very slow he got to the side of me ranting “just coz i’m on a f’in bike”.He repeated himself several times. So i switched off the engine, Got out of the cab and explained that i could only see him when he was stopped, I wasn’t going to wait for him to fix his brakes, “You decided to race towards me so you could have a go didn’t you?”. He then swore at me again so i decked him.
I got in my cab, and headed for the hills. The old bill won’t find me there.
My wife said i shouldn’t have done it. I disagree.

a lot of years ago, I was driving through York City Centre towards the A59 near the old Cornelius Parish dealership. There was a traffic light controlled junction where you had to turn left and first right.
The lights changed, wheelnut pulled forward and round the corner and was amazed to hear 2 loud explosions. It was a fairly regular occurrence at the time with bomb scares.

Upon investigation I found this twisted lump of metal tubing stuck between my trailer tyres. I was stronger than and pulled it out and threw it at this ranting screaming bloke, :stuck_out_tongue:

A traffic warden who had seen it all and came and told me she had seen this soft sod come up the inside and was leaning on my trailer as I turned left, when he started ranting, she called for a policeman who threatened him if he didnt leave now, and take his twisted scrap iron with him.

I caused chaos for the next hour or so while I waited for the tyre fitter to replace 2 tyres :open_mouth:

Should cyclists have third party insurance :question:
Should cyclists have a tax disc :question: - only available if got the above
Should this apply to under 16s :question: - the parents being legally responsible

I am totally against cyclists using the Queen’s Highway as their own private playground. I do not give way to them or have any respect for the riders - certainly not in a lycra clad group on a Sunday!
That will not change untill a cyclist has to take a Driving/Riding Test (for that vehicle - not just their car), provide Insurance, pay Road Duty and be subject to an Annual MoT test c/w a registration number clearly displayed!
Every other road user has to comply with the above so why cant cyclists?
They should also be pursued and prosecuted under the full weight of the Law when they dont comply with the Road Traffic Act which they seem to think doesnt apply to them!

BTW I am a cyclist and have been since I was a kid ( a long time before, anyone else mentions THAT!) still enjoy the hobby but go out of my way NOT to use the roads - they’re meant for MOTOR vehicles!

what ■■■■ me off is that when ever ur in town whether in london or york manchester or blackpool they think they can jump all red lights and mount the paevment at any time.
sometimes id wish a copper would stand at a corner watch them pull them over and give them a ticket for a fine and pionts on thier license like we get if we do it.as they have to obey the traffic laws like us aswell.but no a copper will not do this think it to much paperwork but they do to much now anyway and do not catch the guys who slit our trailers or nick the deisel from our tanks either.

Wheel Nut:
If i see him again I will kick him in the cut :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought it was against the rules to miss letters out to avoid the word censor? :wink: :wink:

You’ll find that the cyclists that don’t use the cycle lanes and travel in packs are the roadies (dodgy looking bars, skinny tyres, etc). Because they prefer smoother road surfaces so they can save a thousandth of a second off their lap around the busiest roads they can find. They often travel in packs so they can admire each others spray on lycra nuthuggers and talk about lucozade together.

I ride a mountain bike, have done for years. Wherever possible I will find a route that keeps me off busy roads, not just because I’m an inconvenience but because I’m extremely vulnerable to pretty much everything else on the road. If I do find myself on busy roads I will use a cycle lane wherever one is available, again, with my own safety in mind. If I’m on a narrow road I spend as much time looking over my shoulder as I do looking ahead, I’d far rather hop onto the verge/pavement and stop for a few seconds to allow vehicles through rather than be stubborn and cause congestion.

I give way to pretty much everyone on the road because motor vehicles can travel a lot faster than me and need a lot more room than me. I will not go up the inside/outside/in front of any wagon/bus because it’s the quickest way to get wiped out.

Cyclists should have full insurance, pay road tax and YES it should apply to anyone who rides a bike on the road.
Just like if a kid wants a TV, the parents have to make sure (legally anyway) that their TV license covers it, if it doesn’t they have to buy one to do so.

I drive on a lot of country roads which are very narrow and winding. In a HGV you can’t just floor it an go when there’s a bit of a gap (not in the motors I get given to drive anyway!) because they don’t have the grunt to get round quickly enough.

IF a cyclist is going along a road at 15mph and there is no SAFE way for me to get past, then how is it any different than being stuck behind a car doing the same speed?

If a car, or any other vehicle, were to do that, plod would have a word. But Nooooo, these cyclists just hold the traffic up for 5 minutes while they enjoy their leisure time and I get to where I needed to go late!

I’m sick of them riding two and three abreast even though they could ride single file, I’m sick of them going through red lights and I’m sick of them coming down the left side of me when I’m quite clearly going to clip them if I set off at that moment.

I try to be as careful as I can around them as I don’t want to see anyone hurt (imagine the paperwork! )but they are the one road user I feel is too unpredictable and vulnerable to be safe! get them OFF the road and into their own lanes, or on the pavement!

Alex

or on the pavement!

I’m actually in favour of that in circumstances where pedestrians will not get hurt.

So if I were to make a sweeping generalisation that all truck drivers are fat, reckless, tacho-ignoring, wannabe kings of the road would this statement be correct? No, course not. Yet this is what this thread currently amounts to with regard to cyclists.

Yes, there are bad cyclists on the road. Equally there are dreadful car drivers, awful truck drivers and homicidal taxi drivers - but to describe an entire section of road users in such all encompassing terms is just plain dumb.

What we all need is to understand other road users a bit more and attempt to see things from their point of view (and yes, that cuts both ways). Until anyone has actually experienced the joy of commuting on a bike on a regular basis (average number of near misses in a week - probably double figures) it’s pretty hard to criticise. The same, of course applies to cyclists with criticism of truck drivers.

Oh and road tax? Great idea. Given that it’s currently based on the amount of damage a vehicle does to the road and environment I’m guessing cyclists would get paid for being there.

Oh and road tax? Great idea. Given that it’s currently based on the amount of damage a vehicle does to the road and environment I’m guessing cyclists would get paid for being there.

OK, fair point - how about a ‘insurance disc’ :question: :question: