Cyclist, skip lorry and a narrow lane

This is probably not what you were expecting which is why I’m posting it as there are actually some decent drivers and cyclists out there

I was out on my road bike this afternoon going down a narrow country lane when I heard something big/heavy slowing down behind me. I had a quick look over my shoulder to see a skip lorry so I pulled over within 50 yds and as he passed he beeped his horn twice

It is possible for us all to get along, it just requires some common sense

unlike the one this morning who came out of a side turning onto the A30 at Hook straight into the path of an oncoming scania 18 tonner 6.30 am and ■■■■■■■ down with rain , complete knob

There are some Hgvs and bikes that can coexist! Hooray

My personal favourites are the cyclists who think they are being helpful and courteous by waving you through a bit that is too narrow, or unsighted. And the ■■■■■ driving the Hgvs that take the said “gap”.

When I’m out on my bike (usually a short road section between off-road bits) and I feel that a driver has held back in order to pass me safely, I give them a cheery wave of thanks as they pass. I thought I was unique in this but today I got a cheery wave after hanging back to pass a cyclist with plenty of room to spare! :astonished: , :slight_smile:

We have two types of cyclist here in france, (you may have them too :slight_smile: ) cyclists that are out and about doing there thing, be it popping to the bakers, shop etc and then those dressed in lycra that think they should have been in the tour de France that just ride in groups 2 - 3 abreast seem completely oblivious that they have a 38 tonne truck about to give them a good stuffing up the rear :slight_smile: do they give will they ■■■, nope, they are in training and are not giving an inch! grrr! now don’t mention tractors :slight_smile:)

Tim85:
We have two types of cyclist here in france, (you may have them too :slight_smile: ) cyclists that are out and about doing there thing, be it popping to the bakers, shop etc and then those dressed in lycra that think they should have been in the tour de France that just ride in groups 2 - 3 abreast seem completely oblivious that they have a 38 tonne truck about to give them a good stuffing up the rear :slight_smile: do they give will they [zb], nope, they are in training and are not giving an inch! grrr! now don’t mention tractors :slight_smile:)

Yeah its the same here although a select few seem to tarnish anyone on a bike with the same brush.
From what i see its the ones who wear lycra who are the most ignorant - maybe its a bit like joggers, they won’t slow down for anything due to the fitness / timing side of it.

The start of this thread shows that only those who live both sides can see both sides. Then it’s the usual them vs us. And I thought there was supposedly more respect for cycling on the continent. Anyway, “road justice?” :- roadjustice.org.uk/case-stud … sts-270314.

Snudger:
The start of this thread shows that only those who live both sides can see both sides. Then it’s the usual them vs us. And I thought there was supposedly more respect for cycling on the continent. Anyway, “road justice?” :- roadjustice.org.uk/case-stud … sts-270314.

Trouble is these days if you ■■■■ in someone’s path its classed as an assault and you could be looking at doing porridge :unamused: We had a character calked Kipper Jackson who used to push a karaoke machine around in a push chair around town on a weekends and sing outside the pubs, always ■■■■■■ as a newt and sounded like he was dining under water :smiley: he used to make about £100 a night from folk who were as ■■■■■■ as him,singing along with him and lobbing fivers and tenners into his hat :open_mouth:
One night the police where giving him hassle saying he was being a pain, which he wasn’t and man handling him. He decided to shove a cream bun what he was eating into one of the coppers faces and was arrested, put up on an adult charge and promptly shipped of to HMP for 3 month! :unamused:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Snudger:

Trouble is these days if you ■■■■ in someone’s path its classed as an assault and you could be looking at doing porridge :unamused: We had a character calked Kipper Jackson who used to push a karaoke machine around in a push chair around town on a weekends and sing outside the pubs, always ■■■■■■ as a newt and sounded like he was dining under water :smiley: he used to make about £100 a night from folk who were as ■■■■■■ as him,singing along with him and lobbing fivers and tenners into his hat :open_mouth:
One night the police where giving him hassle saying he was being a pain, which he wasn’t and man handling him. He decided to shove a cream bun what he was eating into one of the coppers faces and was arrested, put up on an adult charge and promptly shipped of to HMP for 3 month! :unamused:

What has this to do with the OP?

Driver-Once-More:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Snudger:

What has this to do with the OP?

Nothing with the OP, just going by what it says in that report on the "assault on the 2 cyclists in Ireland where he pushed one of their arms away. Just saying its a joke what is classed as assault these days.

Snudger:

Can’t speak for the rest of the continent snudge but i think roadusers are in general so fixed on getting to where they want to go to they forget others have a right to the road too. However, the lycra groups (sometimes 10-20) forget that others have the right also . It especially bad in July when the tour is on. They also seem to lack any self preservation trying to wave me by on a blind bend :unamused: