Cycling Bliss...It is available!

As I have retired from truck driving now after almost 50 years starting off on a Guy Big J and ending up with a MAN auto my Dutch wife and I are soon to be moving to live in Holland.
At present we travel from England to Utrecht Province on a regular basis but hopefully soon we will be living in Holland permanently.
Who cares I hear some of you saying but my question to you all as a keen cyclist is have any of you experienced cycling in Holland? We have had several holidays over there staying on a campsite and basically travelling about on bikes visiting various places. It is just so different to the UK, cycle paths everywhere and traffic all very helpful and polite. They even give way to cycles on roundabouts.
It is just sheer bliss especially after driving trucks in the UK. I will not and could not care whethere I ever drive one again. If you have never experienced driving or cycling in Holland I would thoroughly recommend it.

It’s not…

A perfect world.

youtube.com/watch?v=coJ_EPZTxDI

Enjoy Holland, it’s such a great place with friendly people, mind numbing marijuana cafes and a seemingly endless supply of tarts in shop windows.

well it was lovely while it lasted but now it looks like its starting once again though to be fair,i have been on a few bikes in amsterdam and antwerp.

jakethesnake:
As I have retired from truck driving now after almost 50 years starting off on a Guy Big J and ending up with a MAN auto my Dutch wife and I are soon to be moving to live in Holland.
At present we travel from England to Utrecht Province on a regular basis but hopefully soon we will be living in Holland permanently.
Who cares I hear some of you saying but my question to you all as a keen cyclist is have any of you experienced cycling in Holland? We have had several holidays over there staying on a campsite and basically travelling about on bikes visiting various places. It is just so different to the UK, cycle paths everywhere and traffic all very helpful and polite. They even give way to cycles on roundabouts.
It is just sheer bliss especially after driving trucks in the UK. I will not and could not care whethere I ever drive one again. If you have never experienced driving or cycling in Holland I would thoroughly recommend it.

Some experience you’ve got under your belt sir!

ibby730d:

jakethesnake:

Some experience you’ve got under your belt sir!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1…says it all… :slight_smile:

Me and her spent a few days in Copenhagen a few years ago and that was cycling bliss especially for a capital city .

dieseldog999:
well it was lovely while it lasted but now it looks like its starting once again though to be fair,i have been on a few bikes in amsterdam and antwerp.

What were their names, :smiley:

i was only having ■■■ with them,it wasnt anything personal,though i did meet a couple of nuns who were up for a good time with me as i convinced them i was a saint,jesus sent me and that my name was michael and if they needed proof,then all they had to do was check out my name tags on me skiddies.

dieseldog999:
i was only having ■■■ with them,it wasnt anything personal,though i did meet a couple of nuns who were up for a good time with me as i convinced them i was a saint,jesus sent me and that my name was michael and if they needed proof,then all they had to do was check out my name tags on me skiddies.

It all started so…ellegantly :open_mouth:

There is I would imagine just one problem with cycling in Holland - don’t they get the same rain as us, thus it’s a wet miserable experience most of the year with the same chance of falling off?

Anyway, you can have the same over here with our cycle lanes, those ones no one actually uses.

I’ve cycled in Amsterdam.

I’ve also just got back from Cycling in Birmingham. Some girl pulled out on my saying she couldn’t see me. I went straight over the handlebars onto her bonnet before hitting the floor. Fortunately the car and my bike are worst than me. I’ve got a sore leg, and a sore head. So I wouldn’t recommend cycling at all. It’s dangerous.

If you do wish to do it - then don’t be dumb like me and wear a helmet.

Just had a holiday in Holland.
Its a totally different ball game over there. Cyclist is king. The cycle lanes are totally separated from vehicle traffic by having their own cycle ROADS (as opposed to lanes). The roundabouts are so that all traffic stops for the cyclist as their own cycle road goes around the roundabout. Its genius.

HOWEVER it would never take off here as it would only be abused by the lycra clad middle aged urban terrorists that cycle like madmen over here. Until the need to jump every red light is tamed it would be a waste of money.

msgyorkie:
Just had a holiday in Holland.
Its a totally different ball game over there. Cyclist is king. The cycle lanes are totally separated from vehicle traffic by having their own cycle ROADS (as opposed to lanes). The roundabouts are so that all traffic stops for the cyclist as their own cycle road goes around the roundabout. Its genius.

HOWEVER it would never take off here as it would only be abused by the lycra clad middle aged urban terrorists that cycle like madmen over here. Until the need to jump every red light is tamed it would be a waste of money.

You´re right, msgyorkie. They´d be over in the car lanes "Claiming the road, or lane " or whatever they call it.

dieseldog999:

Skipperstrasse ■■?