Cycle headlights

Has anyone been blinded by these stupid extra bright bike headlights, must be new, haven’t come across them before? Driving my wife’s car last night, had to stop as four or five morons with tight trousers and ar5es in the air came the other way, each one had a couple of these lights on the bikes and one on his head, they must have been halogen or something, like having a dozen of those zillion candlepower halogen handlamps shone straight in your face. And they wonder why drivers don’t like cyclists? Pillocks! Must be a law against it.
Bernard

Yes I bloody have. 3 cycles last night all coming towards me with a bike mounted and head mounted super bright LEDs, ■■■■■■ me off how road rules don’t apply to them I popped my bi-xenon full beam on. Don’t see why they should be allowed to cycle towards me blinding me. With effectively 3 card worth of full beam.
All three cycles went through a red light too!

I don’t have those sort of lights on my bike, just a bog standard cheapo argos thing BUT seeing it from the other side of the fence, I’m sick of how many car drivers on dark sections of road will NEVER dip their main beam when they’re coming towards you, meaning that you end up having to cycle with night blindness and sun spots. If I was in a car or on a motorbike, they’d dip their beam - so why not offer me the same courtesy? if you can’t drive for a few hundred metres in the dark with dipped beams, you don’t deserve a licence

Never seen any bright enough to BLIND me when driving car or truck !!

I reckon they are fantastic and certainly more noticable than the old static white and red lights

I’ve got one of these lights. Flash mode gives longer battery life (mine’s 2 years old and I’ve just replaced the original batteries). If they are dazzling, they’re set too high, I’ve got mine so the beam shines on the road about 10-5 feet infront of me.

No pleasing some ppl, you moan when cyclists don’t have lights now they’re too bright. Give me strength

It’s funny but I don’t recall reading about any cyclists getting killed because they were too easy to see in the dark. The usual cry from motorists is the old " sorry mate I didn’t see you". I go out lit up like a Christmas tree, you have to these days as most vehicle drivers don’t seem to be able to see much past their bonnets.
As for getting blinded I seem to get it every night. It either a case of " i will drive on main beam because I cannot afford to buy a new headlight bulb" , how many of them are around these days, or just plain ignorance.

revs me off the clock when I get blasted by main beams for a couple of minutes on a dark empty road. there’s no way they can’t see my light, so why not treat me the same as any other road user? I always give them a two-fingered salute as they pass me, ignorant [zb]s

The thing is when you have these super bright cycle headlights comming towards you, they look like any other motorbike or car thats full beaming you…
Surely its better for the cyclist to have them aimed at the road in front ? This maybe why they get the full beam in retaliation.

Slackbladder:
It’s funny but I don’t recall reading about any cyclists getting killed because they were too easy to see in the dark. The usual cry from motorists is the old " sorry mate I didn’t see you". I go out lit up like a Christmas tree, you have to these days as most vehicle drivers don’t seem to be able to see much past their bonnets.
As for getting blinded I seem to get it every night. It either a case of " i will drive on main beam because I cannot afford to buy a new headlight bulb" , how many of them are around these days, or just plain ignorance.

As above, cant see what the problem is if you are dazzled slow right down as per the highway code, even on dipped beam car lights can dazzle, plus all the idiots who drive with fog lights on, on a bike there is not much choice the lights are much less powerful then car headlights and also due to the physical size of the unit is it impossible for it to send out a perfectly directed beam like a car light, Im sure no cyclists sets out with the intention of dazzling other road users but unfortunantly it does happen, On a bike it is very important that you can get a good view of the road surface as even small objects such as bricks can cause a major hazzard, I really cant see how putting main beam on in return is going to help the situation? anyyone care to justify that

Dakota:
No pleasing some ppl, you moan when cyclists don’t have lights now they’re too bright. Give me strength

What he said :open_mouth:

There not halogen bulbs, they died in the 90’s, they probably use CREE’s a very bright form of LED commonly used in german car DRL’s, they’re bloody good too I have a headtorch version, to me it seems sensible to actually see where your looking and of course to be seen, they obviously work :stuck_out_tongue: . I don’t have a problem with them, retrofitted HID kits on chavvy cars are a pita though.

I reckon the problem is because car drivers can no longer use “I didn’t see them” as an excuse with these new lights.

I used to cycle to work and was constantly getting blinded by full beamers coming the other way until I got one of these lights. They are bright, but not so bright they dazzle you in to stopping cos you can’t see where you are going which was often the case when I was getting full beamed on my bike.

In fairness I have often full beamed cyclists with poor lights when driving because I simply can’t see them until too late. Same with pedestrians at night.

The extra bright bike lights you can see coming round a bend like you would see a motorbike. Can only be good.

In fact I would like to see bikes fitted with indicators instead of using arm signals … other road users would respond better to that.

In fact I would like to see bikes fitted with indicators instead of using arm signals … other road users would respond better to that.

Or just some indication anyway would be nice you get the odd one what puts there arms out mainly kids everyone else just goes for it and hopes your telepathic

Ched:

No reason why they shouldn’t be; the technology’s there. What I’d prefer to see is them using a mirror or looking behind them before they turn; very few seem to bother.

I’ve no problem with cyclists making themselves visible, like everybody I moan when they’ve no lights on. But in what way is shining a powerful light or 3 straight in the eyes of an oncoming car driver going to keep you safe? If I stood and waited for you to approach and shone a powerful torch in your eyes you wouldn’t be very pleased would you? I can and do dip my car/lorry headlights when another vehicle approaches, and the majority of other drivers do, but you can’t dip a cycle light can you? And yes, I do ride a cycle!
Bernard

Some of you might like to know that cycle lights can cost as much as £200. and a rear light is not included.

alamcculloch:
Some of you might like to know that cycle lights can cost as much as £200. and a rear light is not included.

Any sidelights? :laughing:

alamcculloch:

Are they the ones that charge diect from mains like a phone?
Cheap lights such as those from Poundstretcher type stores are a false economy; If they don’t pack up you’ll spend a fortune on batteries.