Cutting your engine when queuing

Currently sat on M1 stationary due to the closure at J16.
Noticed me and another two drivers are turning off after moving forward. It’s about 2 minutes between every time we’re getting to move but most others are just keeping it ticking over.
I don’t get fuel bonuses or any incentive to do so but just like the peace and quiet.
Does anyone else do this out of their own choice?

We got moaned at by the office for “excessive idling across the fleet”. One of the office bods came out with a long list of idling times for all the drivers, mine was pretty good apart from one instance. Left it ticking over for 40 minutes. Stuck out like a sore thumb compared to my other days where it was less than 10 minutes across the whole day.

I switch mine off so I can hear all the V8s around me

m1cks:
but just like the peace and quiet.

I thought I was the only one

On some of the aged ‘agency carts’ I get to drive, I wouldn’t particularly trust the thing to restart in traffic… :confused:

Lots of the bigger fleets have idling monitoring software. Traffic light scenario red Amber green. 2 minute or more and warning signals are sent back to some numpty in glass office miles away.
Apparently it costs the large fleets thousands and thousands are year

I switch off

My planner rang me up and said I’d got loads of excessive idling , harsh braking and hardly any use of cruise control, just said its a good job we don’t have a fuel bonus anymore then, none to impressed and said is that the best reply you can come up with , no try all week in centre of London, bbbbbbbbbbbb oh look he’s hung up again :unamused:

Not sure if it’s standard but one of our 15 plate volvo’s cuts out after 2 minutes of idling

parkus:
Not sure if it’s standard but one of our 15 plate volvo’s cuts out after 2 minutes of idling

My Actros is the same, but I do switch off in jams etc anyway, because I’m professional,… in fact too good to be true and perfect :sunglasses: :smiley:

Why would you want the engine idling if you aren’t going to move for several minutes? Stop/start or traffic lights aren’t worth switching off for but anything longer than that is just wasting fuel and annoying to listen to

Some of our vehicles spend up to 2 hours at a time idling to run the pto pump, so a few minutes in traffic is here nor there.

I would guess a good 4 hours every day is spent idling.

I used to switch it off in extended ques as the lack of vibration brought a nice calm over me. Kind of removed the “i have to go now!” mentality. Just me. Nothing to do with fuel saving, didn’t exist when I did it.

I’m a bus driver.
The buses switch themselves off after 5 minutes at my place.

I don’t think that is really good to the starter motor.But most of the trucks are on lease, so under warranty. No one cares about the starter.If it’s go bust, goes back to the factory.
I don’t swich off my own car at queueing.If I would have an old truck I wouldn’t turn off that, cos you can save a little on diesel, but the repair bill for a new starter much much more costy.

I had the lovest idling from 100+ drivers on IsoTrak, cos I turned off in every little queueing(automatic gearbox). Of course got nothing for it, but it was fun, knowing that I made the transport office happy, whilst I actually slowly scr3wed the truck up xDDD

working on using 3 litres per hour idling (14 litre V8) = 4.6p per minute, so on a 300 mile day using £150 diesel + 30 minutes idling adds another £1.30. (less than 1%) I guess if companies are worried about vehicles standing idling it must be more to do with blocking the DPF up.

cost of new starter fitted & downtime = £600 life span of 50,000 starts = 1.2p per start, so worthwhile threshold could be as little as engine being off for 16 seconds (surprisingly short)

Its one of those things where common sense applies.

Yes i’d turn it off in a queue for the obvious reasons, but i let her warm up and cool down sensibly before and after working the engine hard for other reasons, not really interested in what the telematics report says, any comments for some office boy would go in one ear and out the other.

Freighliner claim that they have automatic stop/start…[emoji15]
freightliner.co.uk/group/ou … -services/

If I can see there’s something like an accident and not going anywhere any time soon then obviously I’d switch off.

However, I’m not convinced anything has really changed enough with engine design these days that means stop-start technology isn’t going to cause excessive engine wear.

Pimpdaddy:
Freighliner claim that they have automatic stop/start…[emoji15]
freightliner.co.uk/group/ou … -services/

Yawn…

when did you last drive a truck?