Cutting back in after an overtake

So today driving steadily back up the M5 I see another ‘professional’ driver coming up behind me and was going to overtake so all was ok and he was beside me and then all of a sudden whether he misjudged or just too impatient to get back in to lane 1 just came across, my reaction was to hit the brakes followed by some verbal abuse and a few hand signals after the initial surprise but obviously some peoples reactions could of been different as to possibly veer onto the hard shoulder, now if that was the case and there was a stranded vehicle on there then that is a horrible thought as to what could happen but what is it with drivers wanting to cut in way to soon causing you to take action or coming back in to lane 1 with a metre gap between you, bloody boils my blood, I class myself as relatively inexperienced only being on the road 2 years as a Class 1 driver but I am courteous, careful and considerate to other road users and just use my common sense and would not cause any danger to other road users, seems to me that these things are few and far between with other road users.

I’m sure robroy will be along with a good rant at this as I know it’s something we actually agree on, absolute pet hate for both of us. The look at me I know exactly how long my trailer is club.

Years ago, when you overtook a lorry, as it was called then, you were told by the other driver that it was safe to come in. Now you have to ask the other truck if it is safe.

just at the point that your bloods boiling ,laugh out loud and beam a smile. i know it sounds daft but it immediately lowers the boil . try it,see if im wrong
in other “blood boil” situations, an annoying farter / long queue / losing money/buying rotten fruit etc laughing out loud really works a treat for the soul. i started doing it after losing some money and its become a habit,in fact i now look for someone cutting me up

It’s a prime indicator of pure moronism to ‘get back in’ unless you’re at LEAST 2 and a half artic lengths ahead before joining lane one following an overtake.I loathe that disorientation that results in a set of rear doors right in my fizog.You can’t see either side of the prick should he suddenly have to brake.It a lot worse when its a decker as you gain speed shielded by his slipstream.
It should be stamped out pronto this cutesey,sheeplike behaviour.Flash in by all means if appropriate,ie-weight/gradient differentials,but not this weird…‘must get back in rapido’ default mentality.And for christ sake stop machine-gun flashing me in coz i didn’t respond urgently to your friggin commands. :unamused:

manalishi:
It’s a prime indicator of pure moronism to ‘get back in’ unless you’re at LEAST 2 and a half artic lengths ahead before joining lane one following an overtake.I loathe that disorientation that results in a set of rear doors right in my fizog.You can’t see either side of the prick should he suddenly have to brake.It a lot worse when its a decker as you gain speed shielded by his slipstream.
It should be stamped out pronto this cutesey,sheeplike behaviour.Flash in by all means if appropriate,ie-weight/gradient differentials,but not this weird…‘must get back in rapido’ default mentality.And for christ sake stop machine-gun flashing me in coz i didn’t respond urgently to your friggin commands. :unamused:

Was just about to say something similar.

Rowley010:
I’m sure robroy will be along with a good rant at this as I know it’s something we actually agree on, absolute pet hate for both of us. The look at me I know exactly how long my trailer is club.

Moi? :open_mouth:
Nah…doesn’t bother me in the slightest, and there is absolutely no hint of me wanting to hammer them to a pulp and urinate on them afterwards at all when it’s done to me. :smiley:

Seriously though, this all came about by the smart arses who say ‘‘I do not need flashed in, I know exactly where the back of my trailer is’’ so they do not bother to ‘‘lower themselves’’ by flashing another driver in. :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Most of us don’t actually NEED it, but it gives you an idea when the guy you are overtaking is comfortable with the space left, so consequently because of these knobs (who ignore a simple system that has worked for generations) you no longer know if you are going to get a flash or not, so the good drivers leave more space than necessary, and the crap drivers cut in too early without even waiting for the potential flash…As easy as that. :bulb:

Cue the ‘‘When we all had smaller mirrors’’ and ‘‘Not co pollicy’’ ■■■■■■■■, and all the rest of it, but fact…you never got this when a courteous flash was taken for granted in days when all truckers were courteous to each other, it’s a phenomenon brought about by the car drivers with Class 1s.
Rowley was right after all :blush: …Rob’s rant over. :laughing:

They don’t have to worry about if there is enough room to pull in they know it is you who has to react
They either don’t care about their job or they are beginner’s new to job
Then they could be just people who don’t have a clue what there doing and consider themselves experienced drivers, if that’s the case i would love to be there when there trying to reverse, if I knew it was one of them I would be out with the phone right in front of him recording it
The thought comes to mind suckin out of a straw for the rest of his life

robroy:

Rowley010:

Nah…doesn’t bother me in the slightest, and there is absolutely no hint of me wanting to hammer them to a pulp and urinate on them afterwards at all when it’s done to me. :smiley:

Seriously though, this all came about by the smart arses who say ‘‘I do not need flashed in, I know exactly where the back of my trailer is’’ so they do not bother to ‘‘lower themselves’’ by flashing another driver in. :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Most of us don’t actually NEED it, but it gives you an idea when the guy you are overtaking is comfortable with the space left, so consequently because of these knobs (who ignore a simple system that has worked for generations) you no longer know if you are going to get a flash or not, so the good drivers leave more space than necessary, and the crap drivers cut in too early without even waiting for the potential flash…As easy as that. :bulb:

Cue the ‘‘When we all had smaller mirrors’’ and ‘‘Not co pollicy’’ ■■■■■■■■, and all the rest of it, but fact…you never got this when a courteous flash was taken for granted in days when all truckers were courteous to each other, it’s a phenomenon brought about by the car drivers with Class 1s.

I think now there are so many EE drivers that the flashing in is fading out, they have not adapted to ower way of driving.the reasoning for this is they never done it in there own country .just a thought

manalishi:
It’s a prime indicator of pure moronism to ‘get back in’ unless you’re at LEAST 2 and a half artic lengths ahead before joining lane one following an overtake

Well no wonder the roads have such so slow progress and car drivers have such a low opinion of us.

I am usually limited well below 56 but I’ll flash in a truck after it’s full back end is clear of my a pillar. After that point if I need to readjust my speed due to road conditions I will

If you need 2 and a half artics length, you want to see a Dr about your reactions

malcolmgbell:

robroy:

Rowley010:

I think now there are so many EE drivers that the flashing in is fading out, they have not adapted to ower way of driving.the reasoning for this is they never done it in there own country .just a thought

Are you seriously blaming EE drivers for the demise of a system that has worked perfectly over the years?
Well I suppose they get blamed for everythin else that is negative in this industry on this forum, from ■■■■■■■■ under trailers and mess left, to general bad driving, given that all Brit drivers are perfect.
It’s got ■■■■ all to do with EE drivers and everything to do with the smart arsed and the inept amongst our own ‘‘drivers’’ as I said.

For some reason I’m always more wary these days of a Brit regd truck overtaking me, than I am of a foreigner, …apart from that you can judge better when it’s safe to pull back in whilst driving a left ■■■■■■ anyway. :bulb:

The thing I hate even more than anything is the pleb that holds you for miles then backs off when you ease back in behind

Over here in Holland, I can report that I’m flashed in about 80% of the time including EE drivers, so it’s not a dying practise. You get the odd truck that won’t do it but I suspect that they’re just annoyed they’ve been restricted to 85 or 80kph and don’t like seeing fellow trucks that can still do 90 :smiley:

I myself always flash in including coaches, but that’s only because I used to drive one myself and appreciated a truck having the courtesy to flash me in.

Two and a half lengths of an artic clear before you pull in ffs, Do you travel on the A14 through Northamptonshire by any chance?

I can’t recall the last time I flashed any other in ,I find most pull in when my view of them is that the o.s .r lamp is obscured by my pillar .