Cut airline on trailer suspension

Hi all

I was grinding a few beams off and had the air lines in the way of the rear suspension hand lift. I was in a rush and they where seased up on the control vale ( quick connect John Guest type fittings at a look). So I had to cut the pipe.

Any way as of doing so I lost all my air from the (either the blue or black) pipe and the suspension dropped on the back of the trailer

If I rejoin the pipes back up at some stage. How do I get air back into the system with out a unit coupled up to the trailers red line? Is there a way I can pump it up with a tyre type pump and if so what pressure ?

Also will a set of broken pipes to the rear suspension valve cause a massive air leak to some one trying to couple up to it. What I mean is if someone tried to hock up to the trailer and drive off with it, would the brakes lock up in its current condition?

Thanks
TC

You’re lucky, people have been killed when air suspension has suddenly deflated while they were working underneath.

Moral of the story: if you don’t know what you are doing leave the ■■■■■■■ thing alone. Basically you’ve ■■■■■■ it.

As I read it, you used to have one airline to the valve, but now it’s two, and now you’re wondering if it could cause an air leak!!!

A tractor unit won’t drive off with it, as I assume you’ve chocked the wheels. It’s isn’t going anywhere till it’s fixed

Tucker.C:
If I rejoin the pipes back up at some stage. How do I get air back into the system with out a unit coupled up to the trailers red line? Is there a way I can pump it up with a tyre type pump and if so what pressure ?

Also will a set of broken pipes to the rear suspension valve cause a massive air leak to some one trying to couple up to it. What I mean is if someone tried to hock up to the trailer and drive off with it, would the brakes lock up in its current condition?

Thanks
TC

You’ll need about 200 PSI so forget doing it with a tyre pump. You have to do it through the red line. Anyone who tries to hook up to the trailer and drive off with it will be going nowhere because it’ll be chucking air out. And even if they could you can’t drive with no air in the suspension because it will eventually knacker the airbags.

Get a HGV mechanic out to repair the air line. It’s a simple fix which won’t take long.

200 psi? The compressor regulator will limit the pressure to 100~120 psi. 80~90 psi will be enough for the brakes and suspension to operate, as designed.
Semantics however, neither a hand pump, nor a 12V compressor will provide the pressure or volume for your needs.

Assuming the line(s) you cut are nylon, a compression or push in fitting will restore them.
No offence intended, but you seem to have little understanding of air systems. Compressed air can be dangerous, seek assistance from someone more knowledgeable.

Star down under.:
Compressed air can be dangerous, seek assistance from someone more knowledgeable.

You’re not wrong there! Even the pressure of compressed air in a car tyre (around 2 bar or 30psi) will cause it to pass through your skin. At the pressure of a commercial vehicle (>100psi) it will cause the kind of damage shown below.

Warning, graphic injury detail following

Image from my ADR Class 2 presentation (although this is not the grizzliest image in the delivery) showing the dangers of pressurized gas injection (aerosol paint in this example) into a human hand, this image is 12 hours after the incident, and after medics have removed the skin tissue that died. Here’s what the original medical publication said to accompany the image

Overall incidence of amputation approaches 48%. Morbidity is dependent to a large degree upon the material injected. Paint solvents appear to cause the greatest damage and result in amputation in 60-80% of the cases. Grease, the more common injectant, causes a less severe inflammatory response. Amputation is necessary in about 25% of these patients.

High pressure injury 2.jpg

That’s settled it ^^^^ I was wondering what to eat tonight. That pic has inspired me to opt for kebab.

This might inspire you to have some poppadoms as well :laughing:

Cold burn from pressurized gas (gas is always cold when it escapes from pressure)

Cold burn 2.png

That’s more Lasagne territory :smiley:

Zac_A:
Cold burn from pressurized gas (gas is always cold when it escapes from pressure)

As an aside, when I started with Imperial Tankers their work was predominantly CO2 and Anhydrous Ammonia deliveries and can testify as to how bloody cold minus 200 is if you don’t treat it with the full respect it deserves. I was lucky, a few others weren’t

Trying some diy on your own car on the driveway can be fatal. Apart from the obvious falling off jacks/bricks etc, the fuel systems can give a subcutaneous injection of petrol/diesel.

And reading the OP again…

Tucker.C:
I was grinding a few beams off

I do wonder what needed grinding off of his trailer?

But this is a lesson for us all:

Tucker.C:
. I was in a rush

the maoster:

Zac_A:

As an aside, when I started with Imperial Tankers their work was predominantly CO2 and Anhydrous Ammonia deliveries and can testify as to how bloody cold minus 200 is if you don’t treat it with the full respect it deserves. I was lucky, a few others weren’t

My daughter went for a spa treatment in a -110 degree C capsule, it wasn’t very cold. I guess it depends what contact you have with those temperatures, air being not very conductive.

the maoster:
That’s settled it ^^^^ I was wondering what to eat tonight. That pic has inspired me to opt for kebab.

:open_mouth: :laughing:

the maoster:

Zac_A:

I believe that’s the temperature at which 1 or 2 girls from Newcastle would consider putting a coat on, to go out clubbing.

(gas is always cold when it escapes from pressure)

My flatulence isn’t!

Sorry :blush:

Double post

stu675:

the maoster:

Zac_A:

My daughter went for a spa treatment in a -110 degree C capsule, it wasn’t very cold. I guess it depends what contact you have with those temperatures, air being not very conductive.

-110 deg C ? Is that a typo?

Average winter temp in the Arctic is about -35 Celsius. Lowest ever recorded was above -90 C in Antarctica. Lowest in UK was -27.2 Braemar, 1982.

Yeah I thought that too. I’ve experienced minus 30 in West Germany and it was that cold that it was hard to function.

Lots of trailers are piped up differently. Forget the tyre pump lol. Without a unit you ideally need an adapter for the airline connector, see them in most garages or toolboxes usually something welded up so you can just connect up a 1/4 or 1/2 airline whatever one you use.
Like someone said its a simple 2 minute repair with a few push fit connectors.
If you really want to move it as it is then usually just put a kink in the pipes you’ve cut. Couple up and charge system off you go.

Dump the air before cutting next time :slight_smile: