Customer looking a 7.5 ton chassis cab?

Hi Guys, what is the best 7.5t chassis cab for carpet delivery’s and what would be the best value for money … any ideas ? :confused:

totalni:
Hi Guys, what is the best 7.5t chassis cab for carpet delivery’s and what would be the best value for money … any ideas ? :confused:

Chassis cabs are no good for carpet deliveries, the carpets will get wet when it rains. You really want a box body, or a curtainsider at a push. :wink:

I recommend MAN or Merc myself, owned both and neither gave any trouble to speak of.

look out for ex MCD or Headlam PLC motor
they come ready to work with hoists
all leased from 7 Asset Manaement

having chassis cab wouldmean specciing your own body

good job , people saying DAF LF but i think this is the best place for advice … thanks again

hitch:
look out for ex MCD or Headlam PLC motor
they come ready to work with hoists
all leased from 7 Asset Manaement

having chassis cab wouldmean specciing your own body

Thanks for that … I am in Belfast , no probs getting it over ?

i work for headlam

trucks are ready for work. they lead a hard life though…

just get one with side doors and a working winch

thelorryist:
i work for headlam

trucks are ready for work. they lead a hard life though…

just get one with side doors and a working winch

This guy is looking new or pre reg, tbh , i would pass him on to another dealer, as i mostly sell vans and would hate to give the wrong advice :blush:

To be honest, it’s fairly irrelevant which manufacturer makes your truck these days. There is no such thing as a bad truck now (especially if buying new), just that some are better than others and some cost more than others.

A far bigger factor is how good the service from your local dealer is, or what marque your mechanic is most familiar/happy with if you use an independent garage.

Its down to the price, some good fitters over here but you get the ones who could not fix a dinner for 2… some of the big company’s tend to employ school leavers to keep the cost down which shows on the work quality :blush:

I would never buy a truck based on price alone. If need be buy a used truck if you can’t afford new from the dealer that will serve your needs best.

A brand new truck is just as likely to go wrong as something that is 3 years old in my experience, so there’s no point in having a brand new truck sat at in the yard with a minor fault but the dealer can’t or won’t fix it.

Does it have to be a 7.5t?

Iveco and Merc 6.5tonners offer as good,if not better,payload,are cheaper to run and buy.

Davnic:

Iveco and Merc 6.5tonners offer as good,if not better,payload,are cheaper to run and buy.

They may well offer slightly better payload, but are severely restricted in terms of volume as they are at the end of the day just panel vans with big axles, hence the payload capablity is going to be wasted as you will be limited by volume rather than weight.

Gogan:

Davnic:

They may well offer slightly better payload, but are severely restricted in terms of volume as they are at the end of the day just panel vans with big axles, hence the payload capablity is going to be wasted as you will be limited by volume rather than weight.

We run one iveco 6.5t and it’s cracking. Same volume as the 7.5t trucks we use. Only much better IMO. It even takes morre weight than the 7.5t

And surely they will be cheaper to service and run etc?

Worth noting that the OP’s customer is carrying carpets, so he’ll need a flat floor to obtain best results; this would rule out the panel van versions of the 6.5 tonners as the wheel arches would get in the way. Think he’d also need a 5m box on the truck unless things have changed in the carpet trade. Many of them also seem to be demounts, this would help as if he had two boxes the spare could be loaded up for the next day while the driver was out delivering.

If he’s only doing locals, the Isuzu range might be worth a look; crap cabs but relatively low chassis height.

Hay Guys
Thanks for the info and for your help, we live and learn every day, i will tell my customer this news tomorrow .

Belfast aint that far away
and Headlam have a depot in Glasgow somewhere

i dont know phone number off hand but its on the website
or you couldsearch out 7 Asset

gnasty gnome:
If he’s only doing locals, the Isuzu range might be worth a look; crap cabs but relatively low chassis height.

I can vouch for the crap cabs. Great for locals, and a low cab with one step, but be prepared for backache and sore neck on long runs as the seat isnt very adjustable, plus they feel like you’re sitting higher than the dash with the steering wheel between your knees. And a blindspot mirror would be useful on them as all the ones i’ve driven haven’t had them.

gnasty gnome:
Worth noting that the OP’s customer is carrying carpets, so he’ll need a flat floor to obtain best results; this would rule out the panel van versions of the 6.5 tonners as the wheel arches would get in the way.

I agree that the panel van wouldn’t be much good for carpet dist. but the 6.5tonners are available as chassis cabs so can therefore be fitted with box or curtainsided bodies as required.