Curtainsiders and wind

hi guys
just a quick question or two

1. Can you legally stop on the hard shoulder of a mway and tie your curtains back if it is to windy and
  2. how can you tell that its to windy to travel with your curtains open

sorry for all the questions but i just want to get as much info as poss before i start

Well I dont think its legal to tie back curtains on hard shoulder…

And I think you would be mad to even attempt it!

Only ever tied the curtains back once, never again! next time I feel I need to tie curtains back I pulling over and waiting!

in my limited experience I wouldnt advise stopping on the hard shoulder, the only advice I would offer is to take it steady and go a little bit slower than normal.

If i was crossing a bridge then I would always go into the middle lane if it was a motorway.

Sorry I cant help anymore

Stop on the hard shoulder to tie back curtains? If you do your certifiable!
Never had curtains open in an exposed windy area then have we?

Cant tie ours back, if we did we wouldnt have any roofs left!

Crossing bridges or exposed sections, one tip if possable get alongside a loaded wagon to help protect you from wind. Not alway that simple but worth a try sometimes, ive done it over Tinsley viaduct once or twice.

thomo1709:
hi guys
just a quick question or two

1. Can you legally stop on the hard shoulder of a mway and tie your curtains back if it is to windy and
  2. how can you tell that its to windy to travel with your curtains open

sorry for all the questions but i just want to get as much info as poss before i start

1. No.
  2. I don’t understand the question. How can it be too windy to travel with your curtains open? :confused: :confused:

From personal experience I can tell you know that it’s not just a matter of pulling them to the back on the trailer and pulling a strap round them because you’ll soon find they won’t last 5 mins like that travelling at speed along a motorway.

Some say you should open the back doors to stop the pressure lifting the roof out but when I used to drive regular for RCS at Wakefield doing Coke work none of us every used to bother and we never had any problems running about between Castleford, Wakefield (along the motorways) and South Kirkby like that. A lot of these modern day trailers are really flimsy though so you should check before you do it.

The way we did it was to wedge the curtain poles inside at a slight angle and then grab the second curtain hook along from the front on both sides and pull those into the centre of the trailer and link them together. That then made the curtain go taut and prevented both the front of each curtain and the poles for being able to come out. (Obviously after a roof mounted strap from each side to pull the top of the curtain taut and then secure under the rear edge of the trailer chassis).

If you’re leaving them closed, get the curtains as tight as you can both in ratcheting them up and also the buckles. It will reduce the “sail” factor significantly. Also, if you’re running empty and you’re coming to an exposed area like a bridge, try and get alongside another artic and go across in tandem. Most of all though, just take it steady.

Wouldn’t even consider tying the curtains back if you wanna keep your roof, wind blows in and bows them upwards, stop in a safe place (not the hard shoulder) ring the boss and tell him no way are you going any further because its not safe to travel, and he has no right whatsoever to tell you to carry on. Then proceed to take your boots off and get on the bunk till YOU think its safe to carry on. In my case the wind has usually died off when i wake up oh and its gone really dark too, erm boss

trigger:
Wouldn’t even consider tying the curtains back if you wanna keep your roof, wind blows in and bows them upwards, stop in a safe place (not the hard shoulder) ring the boss and tell him no way are you going any further because its not safe to travel, and he has no right whatsoever to tell you to carry on. Then proceed to take your boots off and get on the bunk till YOU think its safe to carry on. In my case the wind has usually died off when i wake up oh and its gone really dark too, erm boss

Are you for real?

No you can’t stop on the hard shoulder to tie them back.

If it is so windy that you are really concerned for safety then slow down and leave at the first oppertunity and park up. Personally I would not drive more than a few hunded yards with the curtains tied back, and certainly not on the motorway.

However, in three and a half years of pulling a 16ft doublew-decker I have not felt the need to stop, only slow down on the more exposed sections. This include the M4 Britton Ferry flieover and the Port Talbot “ponds”.

[Then proceed to take your boots off and get on the bunk till YOU think its safe to carry on. In my case the wind has usually died off when i wake up oh and its gone really dark too, erm boss
[/quote]

But make sure it is safe, :astonished: A lorry got blown over on woodhead last night and apparantly the driver was asleep, some wake up call.

New Dad:
[Then proceed to take your boots off and get on the bunk till YOU think its safe to carry on. In my case the wind has usually died off when i wake up oh and its gone really dark too, erm boss

But make sure it is safe, :astonished: A lorry got blown over on woodhead last night and apparantly the driver was asleep, some wake up call.
[/quote]

Seen the pic but I went over there at 5am and have to say didnt see it, mind you was nipping me arse cheeks together as I went over it.

I was always of the impression that the curtains were part of the structural strength of a trailer and should never be tied back, if you look at many older tilt trailers you will notice that because they are not able to be tightened they have extra straps that cross at the back of the trailer to stop them being damaged by the flexing when traveling down the road, so you should check with the trailer manufacturer before you do drive down the road with them tied back

i thought would be better opening curtains to back, are class 2,s the same better left alone just drive slower, ice i don,t like been driving 33 yrs and bumped a kerb last week in my car at 8mph. start my driving lessons soon

i’ve always run with the cortains in done up. i always make sure the curtains are done up tight, nothing worse than curtains flapping about with straps loose flapping etc. looks unproffessional i think and turns the curtain into a a sail/parachute

as above make sure curtains are as tight as possible and be carefull we have sliding roofs on our euroliners so i tend to throw 4 or 5 straps over the trailer also to stop the wind getting under the roof to much

All i ever do is slow down and make sure the curtains are as tight as poss.
My gaffer rang rang all his drivers (51) last week and told us to park up if we were unsure of the wind

yorkshire.jimmi:
My gaffer rang rang all his drivers (51) last week and told us to park up if we were unsure of the wind

Very wise because in Sept 2003 the Health and Safety Executive issued a document entitled Driving At Work which, if you go to their website, they will send you a copy to your home address, FREE.

Whilch is something that I referred to, following high winds and, sadly, a tragic death some twelve months ago. Following which, an article appeared in T&D, written by Dave Young, highlighting the contents of that very document. Serendipity? :smiley:

It is true that the construction of a standard trailer is such that it is designed to resist the ‘downward forces’ of the weight of the curtains. The roof is less tolerant of upward forces, whether created from air pressure within the body of the vehicle or, the Aerofoil nature of the design of the roof which, in conditions of high winds, can provide ‘lift’. Hence the use of a ‘waist strap’ encircling both the roof and the chassis when curtains are ‘tied back’, either to the front or to the rear.

Tying open the rear doors does have some benefits, both in limiting the upwards pressure on the roof sections and, as an aid to fuel economy BUT, if conditions are THAT BAD, should you be driving anyway? :wink:

we cant run with the curtains open because of the sliding roof. what we do is just tighten the curtains and ratchets then place 2 or 3 straps over the roof to stop them blowing off.

Over 10% of motorway fatalities are hard shoulder incidents. Avoid if at all possible :slight_smile:

yep: works a treat for me [ I drive a Cat (C) Curtain sider ]
" get the curtains as tight as you can both in ratcheting them up and also the buckles. It will reduce the “sail” factor significantly"

I just pity those crazy dudes with a 7.5t or light curtained van .

And better still (as “trigger” said)
Find a safe place, and wait until conditions become suitable.

Regards 2xQ

PS: personally I wouldnt recommend attempting to use another truck as a shield
as (even if pre-arranged // CB etc) you can never prodict what defencive actions they might require
and the buffeting might actually be WORSE while running alongside.

Rob K:
Are you for real?

trigger:
Why what would you suggest then pal