curtainsider work

Never been on here before but already have 4x2 unit and curtainsider and low loader trailer for moving our own equipment.
In the process of getting transport manager CPC and then applying for ol, GIT insurance etc.
Based in N Ireland just wondering about contact for maybe full time work for another unit that i am looking at. Will prob be a 6x2 with tipping gear

Whereabouts in NI are you based :question:

Sorry only getting back now. I am based in Armagh. How are you finding things. I suppose it is tight but every bodys job is tight at the moment. Just have to keep smiling. :laughing: Do you have your own work or do you sub contract. Have maybe been thinging of the Norfolkline work for a start, what do you think.

Sold up in Feb2008 just before construction crash :exclamation: :smiley:

Know a few boys at the bulker/quarry work and its on its knees and has been for quite some time :exclamation: :exclamation:
Norfolkline/Sawyers/McCulla/McBurney etc plenty of work but@ £1.10 per mile traction you are a braver man than me. :wink:
Sure even diesel in the South must be near £1 per litre now ex vat :question: :confused:

Did a small bit for a mate over the festive period with our lorry and it made a nice change for it to actually earn money rather than just be another cost to the business. i know there is more in the working direct for the customer not the middle man. Have to go through the ol bit anyway, have the equipment there, have the git bit there, everybody tells their tales of woe about it but they keep doing it. If it is run right, good customers, decent rates and costs kept low would it not be ok :question:

scannia144:
If it is run right, good customers, decent rates and costs kept low would it not be ok :question:

The “magic four commandments” :smiley: ,
yes if you can attain all four of those you mention above it will be worth the effort but in all honesty can you :question: :exclamation: :confused:

You say your looking at a 6x2 with tipping gear, plenty of boys at that game and fuel going up every month and rates staying lower than a snakes arse :exclamation: :exclamation: :frowning:

That is low :stuck_out_tongue:

I am thinking of 6x2 with tipping gear, currently paying our supplier to deliver bulk materials to sites, could maybe do it ourselves. Cheaper to tax to 44t than 4x2 to 40t at the moment and leaves a few more options. Staying legal would be an advantage to. Just pondering over the idea at the moment. What sort of haulage did you work at.

95% was quarry work stone/sand/tarmac bit of road salt and Cal-Mag out of the docks etc as I had a Kel-Berg insulated trailer which along with a Foden then traded to a newer Premium gave me a good 30t payload each time. :sunglasses:
Tried to do as much big tarmac road laying jobs as I could as they were far better rates and some paid waiting time without using any diesel.

Delivered stone/tarmac to plenty of sites with the artic but you have to be VERY careful and it does not work well everywhere. :blush:

VERY glad I don’t have it in this current climate though :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

Scania144,

read here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27798&hilit=Pulling+the+plug

Getting very hard to find the good customers, and if your lucky enough to get them there will be plenty on the phone wanting your work at keener rates. Keeping cost low is virtually out of your hands now as oil dictates well over 50% of them now. Not only with fuel but with tyres servicing etc.

Honestly do think if i had to study for the operators cpc now id put my efforts elsewhere, can’t say i know where but i’m sure as hell looking.

As i see it, without signed and sealed contracts now its just a ticking time bomb, if the truck plays up theres no excess to cover it, if the work is under cut how long can you survive without work with finance, insurance and wages etc ticking on?

This is all just my two pence worth, but as you say theres plenty at it but theres also plenty like me who knows nothing else. Best of luck if you venture on…