Curtainsider Work

Hello people,

New to this forum and driving so apologies for wasting your time in advance.

Just want to know if anyone has advise on working curtain siders… my new role might be involving curtain work but not 100% certain yet.

Any advice is very much appreciated :smiley:

To undo the curtain pole tensioner, release the catch or hook, lift out the pole to slide back the curtains.
In windy weather, be careful you do not get knocked on the head or eyes with the pole or the buckles on the curtains, it will hurt and can cause injuries.
Some trailer have internal straps that are ok for loads up to 400 kg`s, over that a ratchet strap may be required.
A can of lubricant or spray is handy for the locking mechanisms on the tensioners.
Some Duck tape is handy for small holes or cuts in the curtains, if precipitation gets in, the load can be rejected or refused by the customer, so will have to come all the way back.
When unloading it helps the unloading staff if the internal straps are tidy and out of the way, they have been known to cut them.
A big brush is handy to sweep out the trailer floor of debris and dust.

Easy un clip curtains take pole out pull along load / unload

If have to climb on trailer to strap load be careful :blush: :blush:

Be careful when opening them in windy conditions. Those buckles will disconnect teeth from mouth.

Cheers people, what do the 2 arms do that are close to the cab?

Weasel87:
Cheers people, what do the 2 arms do that are close to the cab?

The bottom one will release the tension while the top one is the crank arm. Flip the bottom one out to release the tension on the curtain so you can remove the pole then lock it back into place and use the top arm to crank the curtain taut. Be cafeful though, don’t put too much tension on the pole as its only got a screw that slots into the grove and you can (like I do on a regular basis) sheer them.

Cheers Radar19

Radar19:
Be careful when opening them in windy conditions. Those buckles will disconnect teeth from mouth.

Also, in really windy weather, only open 1 at a time, sometimes only release the front half, unload, re attach, then release the back half & try to turn the open side of the wagon away from the wind, it might take a bit longer to unload but it can be Total Pain to put the poles back in when your fighting the wind.

Slow down or even stop if it’s too bad, especially if you start seeing or hearing about wagons getting blow over.

Weasel87:
Hello people,

New to this forum and driving so apologies for wasting your time in advance.

Just want to know if anyone has advise on working curtain siders… my new role might be involving curtain work but not 100% certain yet.

Any advice is very much appreciated :smiley:

The legend that is Mr Vernon made a video about curtain sided trailers:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWNsmuVYJRE

Note though that not all trailers have sliding roofs.

Thanks people and yes, Mr Vernon is a legend!!

I think he is working in Tamworth■■?

I believe that he is setting up an operating base for Virginia in the UK where he will be the TM.

Luke is a very active member of this forum “Switchlogic” is his user name

If you have Facebook he is on there as well

Best advice on YouTube is available from ‘trucker Jay in the UK’. A wealth of knowledge and very level headed approach to driving. His dad also appears on YouTube, you might know him, Ronnie pickering.

happysack:
Best advice on YouTube is available from ‘trucker Jay in the UK’. A wealth of knowledge and very level headed approach to driving. His dad also appears on YouTube, you might know him, Ronnie pickering.

If you’re mean about Jay his mate will soon be along to tell you not be a bully, then proceed to tell you how much of a bully he used to be.
Ronnie will just run you down in his Picasso passion wagon.

Whoa there boy. I wasn’t being mean. I intended that to be a glowing endorsement. A pinch of salt is available at most good retailers.

happysack:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: