Curtainsider drivers

Many years ago I used to take canned and bottled beer from a brewery to a warehouse where they had a policy of unclipping the curtains and straps while waiting for a bay to tip. One evening, having waited, I was called forward to go on the bay. As I started moving a tyre on the trailer blow out resulting in 9 pallets of Holsten Pils falling off the side of the trailer. Took them about 3 days to clean it up and I had to get some new underware.

was you pulling out of the grand met brewery isleworth… ?

biggriffin:
WhyTF. Can’t they undo the buckles and un-strap their loads whilst waiting to get ripped… O no they sit there for an 1hour, then get called over, then waste another 15 minutes, unbuckling, de-strapping, opening curtains, keeping Forkies or bay staff waiting…

Rant over…

i strongly advise against this, many years ago i unbuckled my curtains while waiting to tip, it took a while to be called in to tip, as i turned to reverse in, i heard an almighty crash an looked out to see a large part of my load of empty beer bottles on the deck, the rest of the load was leaning against the now bulging curtain, only option was to open the curtain and let them fall, what a mess, never again, and to any newbies reading this dont do it, happened at whitbreads brewery samlesbury.

m.a.n rules:
was you pulling out of the grand met brewery isleworth… ?

No.

I’m staggered how you all manage to get your loads from one end of the country to the other without carnage on the highways given that none of you are capable of moving a few foot in an RDC without somehow losing the lot off the side. :unamused:

Luckily don’t do much RDC work but now I know it annoys you :smiley: :smiley:

Mystery Action:
Many years ago I used to take canned and bottled beer from a brewery to a warehouse where they had a policy of unclipping the curtains and straps while waiting for a bay to tip. One evening, having waited, I was called forward to go on the bay. As I started moving a tyre on the trailer blow out resulting in 9 pallets of Holsten Pils falling off the side of the trailer. Took them about 3 days to clean it up and I had to get some new underware.

Carlsberg Northampton?

I do it on the bay.I have had loads refused after opening the curtains and ratchets.

On the bay is the best bet in my opinion.

I have had some places try and chase me off and out of the yard without being strapped and when I go to strap there are pallets with foot gaps between them and hanging off the side of the trailer on some occasions. If it’s on the bay then they can fix it there and then.

They don’t care as it’s not their responsibility or pockets being skinned if they are unfortunate enough to be caught. I would rather get paid to strap a load than pay someone a hefty fine to effectively get somebody’s load to them 45mins sooner.

I have yet to have any company say ‘don’t worry if you get fined we will pay it’.

biggriffin:
WhyTF. Can’t they undo the buckles and un-strap their loads whilst waiting to get ripped… O no they sit there for an 1hour, then get called over, then waste another 15 minutes, unbuckling, de-strapping, opening curtains, keeping Forkies or bay staff waiting…

Rant over…

Well as iam paid by the hour why the fu*k should i get out do all that you say for to loose money!!! rant over

gazzad:

biggriffin:

Rant over…

Well as iam paid by the hour why the fu*k should i get out do all that you say for to loose money!!! rant over

It’s something called “consideration” and “courtesy”. Also something that the vast majority of the population are lacking these days, as your post illustrates. ■■■■ you, I’m alright Jack.

If I’m side tipping/loading then I’ll unbuckle them early if I’m empty, but if I’m loaded those buckles don’t get touched until I’m on the bay. In the unlikely event something does fall out whilst manoeuvring, then I’m not being liable for the damage/injury that could cause. End of.